AutoCad on Virtual PC 6.1 (XP)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Has anyone used AutoCad with Virtual PC?

Brian

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I've used VPC 6.0 with Windows 2000 using an iBook 800 (640MB). It is decent for light classroom work as long as not much else is running at the same time.

A friend of a friend is an architect with some ties to Apple. AutoCAD on VPC is not an option for professional work.

It's OK for learning and doing classroom assignments, but if you have documents with many layers and links, you probably wouldn't like the experience.

On the other hand, VPC recommends an L3 cache not present in the iBook's G3, so I'm sure you'd want another opinion (from someone with an optimal configuration for running VPC).
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Any more rumors about AutoCAD on the G5's?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I've used AutoCad running under VPC on a PB G3/333, PB G4/400, PB G4/1 GZ, and a PB 17 inch. The 17 inch ran it the best, but not that great. The problem lies in the lack of graphics card support. That said, if any serious work needs to get accomplished it's easier to buy a used PC laptop for around $200 (a PII or better) for your needs.

Seriously, it's not fun or productive to run AutoCad under VPC.

There's a rumor going around that AutoCad will be released for the Mac...I don't believe. It's too major of an investment. I can see Revit being ported to the Mac, though. What exactly are your needs? There are many CAD applications available such as VectorWorks, ArchiCad, High Design, and BOA that export/import .DWG information.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    tvc15tvc15 Posts: 24member
    I'm glad to hear that it will work to a degree. I'm not planning on doing anything other than beginning technical graphics on a 12" PowerBook. If it can get me through that, great.

I do wonder if it's any faster under XP Professional (v6.1).

Brian
  • Reply 5 of 12
    It would be slower under XP...stick with Win2000. There's less eye candy for graphics emulation.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    winkwink Posts: 20member
    how does the vpc perform running autocad 2002 in windows 2000, on one of those new 1Ghz 12" Ibook, with 1Gb of ram? 2d and 3d?

is there any mac cad program that has a "perfect" 3d conversion of dwg?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    As an alternative to AutoCad, how well does Vectorworks/Archicad hold ? I read somewhere that AutoCad is the most widely used, but not the best. However, everyone is insisting on AutoCad because everyone is using it (like Windows). Is this true ?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

As an alternative to AutoCad, how well does Vectorworks/Archicad hold ? I read somewhere that AutoCad is the most widely used, but not the best. However, everyone is insisting on AutoCad because everyone is using it (like Windows). Is this true ?

i currently use autocad.

i'm learning how to program in lisp at school, so i really need the acad.

on the other hand, i was thinking of buying a laptop, and the ibook came into my mind, thanks to his small dimensions and light weight. i was already thinking of learn how to work with another program, cause the acad 3d isn't really what i expected. but i will always need to use the acad from time to time, and to export the files to dwg so i can plot in scholl.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    how is this 3d dwg export thing? does it work? with which program?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    actually, a guy from the AutoCAD group contacted me about AutoCAD on the Mac. there's a page online i found for those who wish to request it.

not sure where it is anymore, this was probably 3 or 4 months ago.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

actually, a guy from the AutoCAD group contacted me about AutoCAD on the Mac. there's a page online i found for those who wish to request it.

not sure where it is anymore, this was probably 3 or 4 months ago.

There's a survey going around exploring the possibilities of porting ACAD to the OS X. Personally, I don't think it will happen. Maybe with Revit, but I don't see the kind of investment required to port such a beast. The UI alone would cause a revolt amongst the community.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    well, that's possible. but after filling it out, i got an e-mail back from the folks at AutoCAD asking me for further details.

they seemed interested. if you want AutoCAD, fill it out and let them know.