Sites that make Safari beg for mercy...

homhom
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
It seems that there are a few sites in my normal browsing habits that bring Safari to it's knees.

FedEx will crash Safari on the tracking page.

IGN is just a dog. I read that is has something to do with byte order, but went in one ear and out the other.

The NY Post seems to hang on the main page. I think it's a Java issue, but I'm not sure.

Any other ones out there that drive you nuts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

It seems that there are a few sites in my normal browsing habits that bring Safari to it's knees.

IGN is just a dog. I read that is has something to do with byte order, but went in one ear and out the other.

The NY Post seems to hang on the main page. I think it's a Java issue, but I'm not sure.

Any other ones out there that drive you nuts?

I don't know of any. Every site I go to works properly in Safari.

Safair does have a tendency to 'rot' over time and requires quitting to clean things out. It seems to spawn a bunch of threads that never go away even if every tab or window is closed.

http://english.aljazeera.net/HomePage spawns .aspx files in the download manager which is annoying.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Really, you had problems with FedEx? I've never once had any problems using either fedex.com or fedex.ca. I will agree with you about IGN though.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    I'd say that 30% of the time when I'm posting a reply to this forum... typing the font is slow ass. Safari issue? I don't know.... \

But there are several sites that don't work properly with Safari. here's one similar to the others (try and click the images in the gallery to view larger):

http://www.camillerosegarcia.com/
  • Reply 4 of 19
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

I'd say that 30% of the time when I'm posting a reply to this forum... typing the font is slow ass. Safari issue? I don't know.... \

But there are several sites that don't work properly with Safari. here's one similar to the others (try and click the images in the gallery to view larger):

http://www.camillerosegarcia.com/

I think that the problem with this site is that it does not support Safari. The webmaster tried to tailor content to the browser, but s/he doesn't recognize Safari. Therefore, Safari users are redirected to a content-free page.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

[/url]

I think it has something to do with animated gifs taking way too much CPU in Webkit on occasions. When you post a reply, some of the smilies in the list of possible smilies are animated and paralyze Safari.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

I think it has something to do with animated gifs taking way too much CPU in Webkit on occasions. When you post a reply, some of the smilies in the list of possible smilies are animated and paralyze Safari.

Bingo.

Disable animations with PithHelmet or resize the page to the smilies aren't visible... and presto! Fast as expected again!
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Apparently the FedEx thing is fixed already for the next release, according to the comments here:

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/hyatt...04.html#005341
  • Reply 8 of 19
    I use Firefox for IGN these days. It seems handle it fine. I don't know what it is like on a PC but even with Firefox on the Mac, IGN's pages have a little lag.

I'd like to know what the problem is on Safari. I've seen it hangs on one of their .js pages (in the Activity viewer) which is doing who knows what.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I think it would have been cool if when they knew a few days after releasing 1.2 that GIFs paralyzed Safari they released an update. Anyone know when the next Safari comes out? Prolly soon since everything else just got update too.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The problem with IGN is that they not only use tons of JavaScript to build their page, they use tons of regular expressions (if you don't know what they are, here's a tutorial I googled up. In a nutshell, they're a compact way to match patterns in text. Think search and replace on steroids.) This is not, shall we say, efficient, and it apparently triggers a case that Safari and/or WebCore and/or JavaScriptCore just were not optimized for.

I anticipate that Dave Hyatt won't let that remain the case. He knows about the problem.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Are they using it [IGN] as a content creation system? Like a brute force way of doing PHP?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
  • Reply 13 of 19
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    I'm a regular reader of IGN (GameCube section).

I have no problems with Safari. It is just as fast (or slow, depending on how you want to put it) as in FireFox.

At work, I have a PC and use FireFox as my main web browser (which I am using right now to post this reply ). Even on the PC, IGN seems to take a little longer than it should. It takes the same amount of time to load on this PC with a T1 connection as it does at home on my Mac with a DSL connection. I get the same results on this PC using Mozilla and IE. It?s not a problem with Safari, the problem is with IGN.

------

Now, I have noticed that a lot of text has been rendering incorrectly in Safari lately. Punctuation (especially apostrophes) and special characters consistently appear wrong. Does anybody know if there are any plug-ins I can d/l to fix this?
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Fedex Kills my Safari as well, makes it hang and the beach ball just keeps turning and turning on the tracking page. I end up having to force quit it.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Bingo.

Disable animations with PithHelmet or resize the page to the smilies aren't visible... and presto! Fast as expected again!

I can actually solve that problem by scrolling all the way down to the bottom of the page and scrolling back up. It's a little annoying sometimes, but it's better than trying to type with that delay.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

Fedex Kills my Safari as well, makes it hang and the beach ball just keeps turning and turning on the tracking page. I end up having to force quit it.

Same here.

I've discovered that it will eventually stop, if you wait long enough.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhoq

Now, I have noticed that a lot of text has been rendering incorrectly in Safari lately. Punctuation (especially apostrophes) and special characters consistently appear wrong. Does anybody know if there are any plug-ins I can d/l to fix this?

I have heard that this is due to the site creator using a Windows specific code to specify the punctuation mark, rahter than the standard codes that both Macs and PCs can read. At least that's what I hear...
  • Reply 18 of 19
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I don't know of any that will crash Safari on my machine, but there are a few that are always a tad slow to load, even on a roughly [err..sorry.. a 300+] KB/s connection. And by that I mean it takes an extra couple seconds, which really is not that big a deal. Although so far, nearly every site I hit on Camino is instantaneously loaded.

TSN

ESPN

Amazon

Outpost
  • Reply 19 of 19
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Here are some of mine. The first doesn't work well with Safari 1.0.3.

http://www.appliedsystems.com/ Click on it and look at the front page. Now I have never tested this one with the newer versions of Safari.

Now the main page works with IE for Mac, but neither browser can be used for filling out their on-line Application.

Next is the Chat software from this company.

http://www.sigmachat.com/index.html

It is Java based and works very well in IE, but all versions of Safari choke on it. I have been to the Apple store and tested it on Panter (1.2) with the same results. Sorry no direct links on this one.

Next would be my bank, Harris Bank works perfectly in IE, but when I do online banking, it fails. Sorry no links on that one.

I find a lot of Java hangs Safari. The last time my Mac crashed, I was trying to show my wife some Java applets I had written, they were in original Java and quite simple.

But in Safari's favor is the fact that I never see popup's, never. If I switch to IE I get them big time. I have Netscape and Opera and only rarely ever us them. I can't stand to use IE anymore except for the Bank and that one chatroom.

If and When Safari gets better overall support. I might think about upgrading my older Machines to Panther. But at this point there is no real reason for me to upgrade these systems.