New iTMS features ***CONFIRMED***

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Anyone have a link to the conference call that supposed to happen at 11:30am EST?

If there are iPod announcements I would expect it then...
  • Reply 42 of 90
    Curses!

Of course, most of the Windows users I know are slow as hell to upgrade anything. I wonder how long it'll take for everyone sharing around here to notice that there's a new version and to install it. I'm already doing my part by changing my shared name to "get the new 4.5 version of iTunes."

Bastards.

• Reply 43 of 90
    ericgericg Posts: 135member
    Well since I once flushed two HD partitions with some fvcked up iTunes installer I am not eager to be one of the first to install new software from apple, but all I hear is OK... off to the iTunes DL page I go 8)
  • Reply 44 of 90
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The quick lists come close to being a true wish list, except from what I can tell (I haven't downloaded the update yet), other people can't see them.

The movie trailers thing is so you can watch a trailer and buy the score and/or soundtrack to the movie right there.

Seems like a limited audience, but it's probably cheap for them to set up and has some curb appeal to it. And like Kirkland said, they'r eprobably making money on the back end.

The insert printing is nice. I wish you had the ability (an option due to the likely size) to download the original album artwork in total though.

As far as WMA support, Apple is now on even ground with other formats in that they all have protected/DRM formats.

I'm curoius about the arrows Kickaha is talking about...
  • Reply 45 of 90
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    so anyone have an answer if the iPod will play the lossless codec?

edit: NM. just found the iPod update. it will play them now.
  • Reply 46 of 90
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

so anyone have an answer if the iPod will play the lossless codec?

edit: NM. just found the iPod update. it will play them now.

It does
  • Reply 47 of 90
    Just in case anyone missed this

Quote:

Real Fast User Switching

For Mac users, iTunes 4.5 now takes full advantage of Mac OS X Panther fast user switching, so you don?t have to quit iTunes to switch users on your Mac. Even better, you don?t have to maintain two separate libraries, either. iTunes figures it all out, so you can manage your music with ease.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/share.html
  • Reply 48 of 90
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    I just tested the iMix feature, it works great. Check it out.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...ylist?id=10732
  • Reply 49 of 90
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    What's the point of the "Convert Selection to Apple Lossless" menu command. Surely converting existing AAC & MP3 files to Apple Lossless is a waste of time, as once the information is gone, it's GONE!

Am I missing something here?
  • Reply 50 of 90
    fiddlerfiddler Posts: 36member
    Quote:

What's the point of the "Convert Selection to Apple Lossless" menu command. Surely converting existing AAC & MP3 files to Apple Lossless is a waste of time, as once the information is gone, it's GONE!

Am I missing something here?

Yes that would be useless, but of course you can also convert AIFF or WAV to Lossless as well...

I wonder if any of this means there will be lossless files available from the iTMS sometime in the future? As a prospective computer-based audiophile nerd, I think that'd be sweet.
  • Reply 51 of 90
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    WHOA! I love the instant links to the music store from the library!!!
  • Reply 52 of 90
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

(regarding true Fast User Switching and shared libraries on same computer)

That's the best news I've heard all day!
  • Reply 53 of 90
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    The Conference Call is not being webcast. It is basically just a question and answer session with the Tech Press and analysts. Most of the information has already been published in Press Releases. There will be no hardware introduction since it cannot be shown to the participants. Perhaps later today or next week on the Apple website.
  • Reply 54 of 90
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    more info about the lossless codec apple is using.
  • Reply 55 of 90
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

The "Convert Selection to..." menu command simply chooses your current encoding choice as the encoder to convert to. You have Apple Lossless chosen as as the encoder to use when you import files. So that's what you see when you look at the menu.

Ah, that's clever!

I've never noticed that before...

• Reply 56 of 90
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    i really need apple to deliver the iTMS to europe -- can't use any of the cute features like iMix

but i must say i love the cd insert printing. its bringing in my album art!!

god bless ya apple
  • Reply 57 of 90
    kirklandkirkland Posts: 594member
    So if my brother has a WMA file, and he imports it to iTunes with Apple lossless, will it keep it the same size and quality? If so, that's a killer feature for folks looking to move iTunesward w/o having to transcode in lossy formats.
  • Reply 58 of 90
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    It will get considerably bigger.

The lossless file will be ~ 1/2 the size of an equivalent AIFF (CD) file. Try converting an MP3 or AAC to AIFF in older iTunes and see how big it is. Now halve that.
  • Reply 59 of 90
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Jim Heid's blog has an interesting idea for creating a "true" (well, almost) wish list with the current iTunes 4.5 features:

Quote:

Previews in playlists.

In iTunes 4.5, you can drag a song preview from the music store into a playlist -- it's just like adding a song from your music library. This can be a handy way to put together a temporary shopping list -- drag previews into a playlist, then go back and review them again before deciding what to buy.

You can also publish a wish list of tunes: Drag previews into a playlist, then publish the playlist. Your friends won't be able to buy the tunes for you -- the music store's copy-protection system prohibits that -- but they could buy you gift certificates. Hint, hint.

And because someone out there just asked: if you burn a playlist containing previews, iTunes simply skips over the previews.

• Reply 60 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

more info about the lossless codec apple is using.

I wouldn't be too sure that is the codec being referred to as Apple Lossless. I guess we'll know soon enough but I think it's something different.