How Super is a SuperDrive?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm going to buy a new 12" PB, but I can't decide whether to get the superdrive or not. I need this computer to last me two-three years, at least.

Pros:

SuperDrive can burn DVDs

iDVD will be included on the machine

Exporting iTunes and iPhoto to DVDs

Cons:

SuperDrive burns CDs slower than the combo drive (16x vs. 24x)

$200 more expensive

Methinks I'd be happy with a combo drive, and if I really need to burn DVDs in the future I'll just get an external, or bypass both and get an external blue-laser CD burner next year sometime (or whenever they come out). I have a few extra hard drives lying around, so I don't really need the DVD functionality for backups, though I might find some uses for iDVD if I got the SuperDrive.

All the varying DVD formats are quite confusing... does anyone know the formats the SuperDrive can burn in vs. what DVD burning standards are out there?

Is the SuperDrive hobbled in terms of the DVD media it can use?

How often do people use the DVD functions of the SuperDrive, and how useful is it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    The SuperDrive burns both DVD-R and DVD-RW, as opposed to DVD+R/RW. The latter is backed by Microsoft and PC hardware vendors, but (and correct me if I'm wrong, as I often am) I believe the former is more compatible with TV-based DVD players. This may be changing, however. In the end, I've burnt quite a few DVDs and I've never had any problems (one person complained that they couldn't play it on their PS2 but that is a known issue). I could live without mine on my 12", but I wouldn't want to. Not much help, I know.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I debated this before I decided on the final configuration for my 12", and I'm going to go with it.

You should always get as much computer as you can afford, and if you can swing the extra $200, go for it. You may not need it today, but one day you'll be glad you have it. If you just get that combo drive, you'll be kicking yourself someday for not getting the superdrive. Just do it, you'll be glad to have it someday.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Don't underestimate how nice a Music Data DVD can be or how impactful a photo slideshow can be when on a DVD. And just a note: iDVD does not burn to external drives -- STILL -- in its native form. I do believe, however that a hack has been found for that.

I'd say buy as much as you can afford now, because you don't want to be two years down the road and then kick yourself for not getting that feature.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    also consider ram, never get less than 512 on anything you buy today, mac, linux, or win'DO'H's

but yes, if after bumping up to at least 512 on the model you seek, you find 2 extra benjermins in the sofa, go for the superdrive (dvd-r, cd-r cd-rw, dvd-rw)
  • Reply 5 of 7
    yomofoyomofo Posts: 35member
    Thanks everybody. Yeah, I was thinking of saving up for a 1GB stick which I think is $399 from TransIntl.com. Is 768 MB enough for this machine? I'll probably take it to 1.25 GB RAM within a year... maybe buy the 512 MB stick and wait for RAM prices to drop. I guess spending $100 now and taking out this chip later is less expensive than springing for the most expensive chip made right now.

Also, I was thinking I might like to get a wacom tablet for $199 (the intuos 2, 4x5) which may serve me better than a SuperDrive for the same price...

i haven't used iMovie or iDVD... are they really great? The apple store people don't seem to know what they're talking about. I asked one guy about a tablet, he showed me the intuos 2, then the guy says he has one at home and he loves it, but then I ask him to show me how to configure it and where the preferences are and the options, and he has no idea. i finally found them in the applications folder, but dude, he was lying straight to my face. I'd prefer opinions from this board...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    i initially had second thoughts because its so hard to find 2x media, and if you find it its 2x the price. But if you use 4x media or anyhting above it will only burn at 1x.So hence a big dilehma.

Then the 4x superdrives came out and that eliminates those problems so make sure you get the latest revision PB'swith 4xSD. I couldnt downgrade the 17" to COMBO so i was stuck with the SD. But i ended up loving it and realising it was needed and used. It might only be once or twice a year that YOU need it for making a photo DVD slideshow with music etc..but its worth every penny when you are finished with your creation. Plus you can burn video footage, back up your miniDV tapes etc. Its real useful. DOONT get a 2x one tho. never!!!!!

Otherwise get an external one. You should be able to pick up a 8x external one for less than $200US easy.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Drop the superdrive, spend the money on RAM.

Also, do not spend as much as you can afford, spend only what you need to. Do not waste money on things you do not need.

If you cannot think of why you need it, you probably do not need it.