New iTMS features ***CONFIRMED***

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 90
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr. John Zoidberg

In 4.5, in the song info box that displays song/artist/album name and play time, the new arrow to the far right of the box...what does it do? I can't figure out the functionality of it if my life depended on it.

Its just like the snap back thing in Sarafi- if you're playing something in a playlist for example (or browsing the Music Store) and press this button it snaps back to the entry that is playing...

I love how apple's interfaces are all very consistent- Safari snap back in iTunes, iTunes Albums in iPhoto, etc...
  • Reply 82 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Its just like the snap back thing in Sarafi- if you're playing something in a playlist for example (or browsing the Music Store) and press this button it snaps back to the entry that is playing...

I love how apple's interfaces are all very consistent- Safari snap back in iTunes, iTunes Albums in iPhoto, etc...

Yeah, it makes a lot of sense...now. I knew I saw this button before in Safari, but I never made the connection in terms of functionality.
  • Reply 83 of 90
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I don't get the 5th feature. Don't we have that already (with playlists available to burn up to 10 times?) A concession maybe? Doesn't really matter though...

yah i dont get it either? i love the new iTMS tho and the overall app is so much better
  • Reply 84 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Curses!

Of course, most of the Windows users I know are slow as hell to upgrade anything. I wonder how long it'll take for everyone sharing around here to notice that there's a new version and to install it. I'm already doing my part by changing my shared name to "get the new 4.5 version of iTunes."

Bastards.

I'm having the same issue where I am. I've taken the same approach to remedying the situation, too.

I really like this update. Like someone said, it's the little things. The snapback button (I hadn't even noticed that yet) the eject button by my iPod, and finally finally the ability to print liner notes (and leave it to Apple to come up with something as nice as those mosaic layouts). Good Job Apple!
  • Reply 85 of 90
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    Quote:

Real Fast User Switching

For Mac users, iTunes 4.5 now takes full advantage of Mac OS X Panther fast user switching, so you don?t have to quit iTunes to switch users on your Mac. Even better, you don?t have to maintain two separate libraries, either. iTunes figures it all out, so you can manage your music with ease.

How do I allow 2 (or more) users share the same library?
  • Reply 86 of 90
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    You should just be able to turn on Sharing in the iTunes preferences, no?
  • Reply 87 of 90
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

quote:Real Fast User Switching

For Mac users, iTunes 4.5 now takes full advantage of Mac OS X Panther fast user switching, so you don?t have to quit iTunes to switch users on your Mac. Even better, you don?t have to maintain two separate libraries, either. iTunes figures it all out, so you can manage your music with ease.

Does this mean that each user shares one big library now? I mean...if I add a song to my library other users can see it too? This was the biggest problem I've ever faced since I have 4 people using a single computer in my house. Thank god I have my own. But they have tons of duplicate songs because they can't see what the others have. If anyone can understand what I've been babbling about, please tell.

It seems that the way "iTunes figures it all out" is by enabling music sharing amongst user accounts. While this design is fairly straightforward (leveraging an existing feature), it certainly isn't what you're asking for, ast3r3x.

Limitations I see with this model:

- It isn't one big library, so you can't keep all music in one place.

- Other users can't add metadata to songs since music shares are read-only.

- If you don't share it other users can't see it. (not necessarily bad, but...)

- If you share it for another user, it's available to *everyone* via Rendezvous.

And the #1 limitation, IMHO:

- If a user isn't logged in and running iTunes, other users cannot see that music.

This last one is the real bummer. If Apple decides this is the model they want to follow (each user with his/her own music library), then there neeeds to be a way to seamlessly share that music across a given machine. Having to fire up a user's account and launch an app just to get to their 'shared' music doesn't cut it.
  • Reply 88 of 90
    cygsidcygsid Posts: 210member
    testing the Windows version here.. the speed improvements are awesome.. the whole app feels so much smoother.. Way to placate my coworkers who kept bitching about how iTunes for Windows was slow and unresponsive - but nevertheless kept using it (must be the Apple touch). Nice job Apple!

on the downside, the Mac version doesn't feel anywhere near as improved performance-wise. In particular CPU usage on my iBook 700 is still an inane 10-15%. grrr..
  • Reply 89 of 90
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Some tasty tidbits from poking around in iTunes:

1) In the iTunes binary are the strings "Nomad MuVo" and "Creative".

2) In the iTunes resources are icons for WMA, OGG, and NVF, which http://filext.com/alphalist.php?extstart=%5EN lists as Nomad Voice File.

3) You can reverse the behaviour of the new arrows that take you to the iTMS (holding option performs the same type of search in your own library) with the simple instructions at http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...15489#comments .