17" PowerBook on your lap?

saksak
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I currently have a 15" PB and I am considering purchasing a new 17" PB. When I am at home I sit on the couch to use my PowerBook most of the time and I want to know how cumbersome it is to use a 17" PB on your lap. I would appreciate any feed back I can get from people that have used both the 15" & 17" PB.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I have had a 15"and 17". Most recently i bought the 17" and will never switch back. Theres a ton of reasons but illjust answer your Q specifically.

Its easier i find with the 17" because is longer it feels more stable accross your legs. So you can sit really comfortably with it in your lap rather than squezzing your legs together and sitting in an uncomfortable position.

Once you get a 17" you wont go back to 15, 12 etc. IMO.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    I thought that if you used a PowerBook on your lap you'd never be able to have sex again?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

I thought that if you used a PowerBook on your lap you'd never be able to have sex again?

nah... you just end up with children who won't wear anything but jeans and black turtlenecks.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    regreg Posts: 832member
    We have had the 12, 15 and the 17 at our house. If you are traveling and have to use the small trays on airplanes the 12 is the way to go. The 15 we had was a Ti 500. That one ran hot. The 17 is the dream boat. It is nice to sit on a couch or recliner and not to have to worry about how you move your legs and have the machine drop. I don't find the temp hot at all and I like to have lots of windows open so the extra view area the best part of all.

reg
  • Reply 5 of 10
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

nah... you just end up with children who won't wear anything but jeans and black turtlenecks.

• Reply 6 of 10
    Anyone used a 17" on a plane before?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

Anyone used a 17" on a plane before?

Mini Me has.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    LOL, yeah, I know that. But I'm 6'3" and I just sold my 15" AlBook for a 17" 1.5Ghz AlBook. I've used the 15 on a plane before, not too much of a problem...but not sure about the 17".
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mac-gyvermac-gyver Posts: 8member
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

LOL, yeah, I know that. But I'm 6'3" and I just sold my 15" AlBook for a 17" 1.5Ghz AlBook. I've used the 15 on a plane before, not too much of a problem...but not sure about the 17".

I'm flying to Orlando next Friday and I'm taking my new 17" PB with me... I'll let ya' know when I get home.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Flying with a 17" powerbook:

1. Request a emergency exit row seat. (or fly 1st class). Preferably window so you can close the window shade to use your laptop during flight without glare from the sun.

The extra room will prevent the person in front of you from lowering their seat and breaking your LCD panel. (seats in front of exit rows can't recline).

2. But your name and address on a label underneath the laptop somewhere where it does NOT get warm. (putting it where it gets hot will just make it hotter).

---reason: going thru airport security is a hassle, you will have to put your laptop in a separate tray to screen it.

You won't think you would ever forget your laptop, but it happens all the time as you might get frisked/strip searched etc...so you just lose track of your items. I speak from experience... I left a ibook one time at the security check point ..but I had my name underneath..and they called out on the PA system for me to come back and claim it.

Thousands of laptops are left every year at airports across the country because people forgetting them.

You won't think it will be you, but with all the hassle of security be on the safe side and label it.

As to the original question, I used a 17" for a month and just did not like it as a portable. Great for desk use, but just too much to carry around. I travel with a 12" powerbook or 12" ibook as they weigh less and can open up even on a coach seat not in an exit row.