iTMS Radio Charts: Gold Standard Radio Stations

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
In my attempt to never grow old, I've gotten into the habit of downloading the most popular songs in different genres. With the addition on radio station charts to iTMS, I was wondering if people could suggest a few gold standard radio stations for me to use as reference? For example, I consider KROQ in Los Angeles or WFNX in Boston to be the benchmark of alternative music. I'm less familiar with pop, hip-hop/R&B, rap stations. I'm looking to find the standard bearers of a particular genre, not just the most popular station in a particular city.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    There aren't any good stations any more... only ClearChannel stations.

Yep, listeners hear the same songs in Memphis as they would in Seattle.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I don't know if it's on the list (because I'm at work on a crippled PC), but KMXV, Mix 93.3 in Kansas City is pretty good with having the top songs in Pop, Hip Hop, and New Rock. dstranathan and dviant, what do you think about that assertion?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Ok... you got me.

KMXV is part of Infinity Broadcasting (About 190 stations owned by Viacom)
  • Reply 4 of 10
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    WFNX is awesome for alternative, and it's not controlled by ClearChannel/Viacom. I was thrilled to see it listed on iTMS. Most pop stations are going to be controlled by the big guns and therefore will basically be all the same.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    WXPN. The Penn station in Philly. Sort of Alternative adult contemporary. Home of the World Cafe. I wish they would dip into some edgier (sp?) stuff more often, but still original and quite good.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
  • Reply 7 of 10
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    We Seattleites have a wonderful radio alternative in KEXP. If you like independent radio, I highly recommend you check it out: www.kexp.org

A few interesting features to note on the website:

- playlists are real-time and archived

- a CD-quality stream is available

- the last two weeks of broadcast are archived!

enjoy,

dglow
  • Reply 8 of 10
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    WRNR in Annapolis. (Look for Baltimore in the iTunes listings). I'm surprised to see it listed in iTunes, though, since it's not owned by some big megacompany.

This station is one of the few things I really miss about living in Maryland.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Dusted Magazine, an online music mag, compiles an aggregate of what was played on the top 30 college radio stations each week.

Dusted Top 40 Radio Chart [Apr. 27, 2004]

1. Of Montreal | Satanic Panic in the Attic | Polyvinyl

2. Mission of Burma | Onoffon | Matador

3. Calexico | Convict Pool | Quarterstick

4. Tortoise | It's All Around You | Thrill Jockey

5. Deerhoof | Milk Man | 5 Rue Christine

http://www.dustedmagazine.com/charts/115
  • Reply 10 of 10
    fawkesfawkes Posts: 80member

WYEP Pittsburgh. Independent and user supported--no Clear Channel. Great station.