iPod mini 2000 song now?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Does the introduction of the Apple Loss-less codec "half the size" mean that the mini-pod will now hold twice the number of tracks? Which format is the most efficient to use without sacrificing sound quality?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Apple meant half the size as in half the size of CD Audio. Meaning, instead of 600-700MB per album, you can rip to the lossless codec and end up with an album weighing in at 300-350MB, roughly.

A 5 minute track is going to run you about 32MB of disk space, but it is kind of variable.

What I find interesting is that the file extension for lossless files is still .m4a. So is this still an MPEG-4 codec?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

[BWhat I find interesting is that the file extension for lossless files is still .m4a. So is this still an MPEG-4 codec? [/B]

No not necessarily. MPEG4 does have a lossless variety coming but odds are this may not be it. .m4a is just the container like .mov it could be anything else inside. Doesn't look like FLAC though.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Is MP3 still the best space/quality trade off?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

Is MP3 still the best space/quality trade off?

I'd say standard AAC is.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    No. This is a lot bigger since it is lossless, as others mentioned.

What you are thinking about is HE AAC which sounds as good as 128 AAC at 64. Which means it sounds as good as 128 MP3 at 32. Which means it is a quarter of the size of a 128 MP3 file with the same quality. In other words once they add that they really should say "iPod mini: 4,000 songs in your pocket." I bet they'll add HE AAC soon enough. Just hope the first iPods will play it and it won't be only for Dockables. Guess I'm getting obsolete!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Just hope the first iPods will play it and it won't be only for Dockables. Guess I'm getting obsolete!

Well, the older iPods can't play the lossless format either. They can play AAC of course (it wouldn't fit with Apple's business plan to prevent older iPod users from playing iTMS music on their iPods), but the lossless codec isn't supported on the older iPods and I doubt it ever will be.

My guess is that if they add that HE AAC, it'll play only on 4th-generation iPods and 2nd-generation iPod minis. At least, that's how it would go if Apple continues their current pattern of support for 1-2 year old hardware.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    HE-AAC should already play in an iPod while ignoring the SBR bits. It would be in Apple's best interest to support it at all levels, otherwise the nice sounding HE-AAC encoded file would sound shitty.