the iPod I want.. how about you?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

IDEA IDEA IDEA!!!

How about adding airport to the iPod in some way so that you can BUY songs off of the iTMS FROM the iPod-while on the go? I think that would be a KILLER feature!

A BATTERY KILLER idea.

Adding wireless anything to the iPod will KILL the battery life faster than anyone here is willing to give up (since 8 hours apparently isn't enough). Adding wireless to the dock, I can see, but that kind of defeats the purpose of docking it.

And that seems to me, a very easy way to get my credit card number ripped off. I don't like it. \
  • Reply 22 of 36
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Whatever, it will happen someday. I want that, a portable record store.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    sh0ewaxsh0ewax Posts: 114member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca

Actually THICKER than the current ones to accomodate a larger battery and built-in bluetooth.

The way I see it, if the remote is going to be big and heavy, they should go all out and give it full control over the iPod.

The other option would be a very lightweight remote that controls volume and has a play-pause button, and that's it. I was thinking something like the inline remote on one of my pairs of headphones - it just has a simple volume slider.

Bluetooth + Better Remote = Wireless Remote.

For me, longer battery life is the number one, most necessary thing at the moment. The Bluetooth is the number one most wanted thing at the moment. And if we're going to put Bluetooth in, and redesign the remote, why not a Bluetooth remote?
  • Reply 24 of 36
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    You guy's are all fools. Why don't you just buy a Camera, a watchman, a or a GPS? Apple is interested in making money not designing these ridiculous concept devices that only 60 people world wide are going to buy. You can buy this stuff already. That does not mean apple has to make it. Steve jobs said it best the other day.
    Quote:

originally @ MacCentral.com

On the rumored video iPod or other such device, Jobs made his position very clear.

"It's the music stupid," said Jobs.

I think that puts an end to this ridiculous topic forever. It's a stupid idea.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Wait, not yet, I don't want to start a new thread.

Apple is not putting video on the iPod, because it is about the music.

Introducing the iLife portable.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    The iPod I want is sitting a half meter from me right now - a third gen 10 gig.

I wish the control freeze switch on the top of the iPod was easier to move and I haven't gotten around to buying a good pair of in-ear headphones for it.

Other than that it is the perfect portable music player.

Every time I read these 'what the iPod needs' threads I'm reminded of the Simpsons episode where Homer gets a chance to design his dream car.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Wireless iTMS access from the iPod itself would be sweet, especially since it's "still the music, stupid."
  • Reply 28 of 36
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    I live my life with 5 devices daily my G5 ( workstation for HD video), my Powerbook Ti - showing clients dallies and everywhere i go my ipod 10GB , HP Ipaq 1610 and sony ericsson t68i - I got all of them to sync.

Here's what i want. Keep my G5 and powerbook... I dont want to see a fantasy version of either their the perfect form factors. What i want is for my Ipac and I pod to merge. All i use my ipac for is as an organsier ie contacts and appointments ... why cant my i pod do this? A colour screen on the ipod would be nice but all i want is the ability to enter simple data. My new reasoning is getting close to buying and XDA o2 smartphone and ditching the Ipaq and T68i

Take the ipod leave the canolli
  • Reply 29 of 36
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I don't think bluetooth has enough bandwidth to transfer video. A 802.11 wireless network would probably work if a decoder is in the receiving end.

Come to think of it, I have seen things like this on projectors...

I was talking about this with a mate the other day. Bluetooth is nowhere near fast enough for video, so is 802.11g.

What happened to those rumours about the Apple TV box thing with the fast wireless thing. If the iPod had that then i could plug it into my computer wirelessly, and send info to my TV, use the new Home-On-iPod feature. Oh and Apple, stay away from video. I want a bigger hard drive, colour screen and some sort of input, maybe touch screen!!!
  • Reply 30 of 36
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    You know, maybe it's time to leave the Mac brand on 'tick over' and start again. To a degree.

The iPod is a music player. But I think it can be a brand. Broaden the brand with vPods. xPods. cPods etc.

A 'Mac Pod'. Or 'x-Pod.'

Make it the 'Home on Mac' portable computer. Or the 'X' Mac. The ultimate doomsday weapon to take on Wintel.

It's got a hard drive. One big enough to stick 'X' and the iapps on. It can be docked.

A mouse and keyboard could be attached to it. An LCD could be attached to it.

It can have a colour mini-screen. It could have hi-def Tv support.

It could run the key iapps, Appleworks. A nice portable computer for people on the go.

Attach it to any LCD screen...and you got a 'limited' computer that can run on Mac/PC. And...think about the developer community. The mod community. Look at how well iPod has been received. Accessories galore.

A cheap £250-£495 xPod that iChats, iCals, Word Processors, eMails, builts in or attachable iSight II. Conferencing on the go. Maybe you can attach it to your camera and store loads of photos on the fly. Maybe it could have built in photo abilities. Your iLife on an xPod.

A computer that re-draws the landscape of what a computer is.

Do you need a keyboard if it has built in speech recognition? Walkie-talkie. Programs load up. email and word process with voice?

Let's face it. Towers are clunky. Laptops are awkward.

Maybe the next evolution of the iPod is your iMac to go. xPod.

If Apple could sell 1 million xPods (like they're doing with iPod let's face it...) on top of 800, 000 Macs...that's 'OS X' on 2 million computers per quarter. In 2 years, Apple have 16 million more 'OSX' users. In four years? 32 million 'X' users. This would be a way of busting out of the 5%. Something that goes beyond the the PC/Mac divide like the iPod currently does. Apple really is needs to think different.

More software. 'X' on everything. 'X' on iPod branded gadgets that re-draw the landscape from underneath the feet of M$ dinosaurs.

The Apple brand is quite popular. Macs...well...have had their chance. So. Can Apple sell the 'Apple' brand on non-'Mac' computers? I think they can.

And...is it about Macs....or getting 'X' out there?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 31 of 36
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

Wait, not yet, I don't want to start a new thread.

Apple is not putting video on the iPod, because it is about the music.

Introducing the iLife portable.

http://home.comcast.net/~oldmacfan/iLife.jpg

I will forewarn you, I am not "NOT" a graphic artist. Repeat the "NOT".

This thing was done up in AppleWorks, not the best program for this project, but it is all I have.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

http://home.comcast.net/~oldmacfan/iLife.jpg

I will forewarn you, I am not "NOT" a graphic artist. Repeat the "NOT".

This thing was done up in AppleWorks, not the best program for this project, but it is all I have.

i agree, you are not.. jk man, that looks like a friggin' HUGE TV!
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Hmm, I don't quite understand what this "xPod" would do? Wouldn't it need a processor, if processor then main board, and some sort of memory other than HD? I guess before I could accept it as possible I would have to understand more. But it sounds like a good concept, as usual coming from you Lemon.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

If Apple could sell 1 million xPods (like they're doing with iPod let's face it...) on top of 800, 000 Macs...that's 'OS X' on 2 million computers per quarter. In 2 years, Apple have 16 million more 'OSX' users. In four years? 32 million 'X' users.

your maths doesn't work, how many of those users will be upgrading, if the iPod only costs $500 then people might upgrade every year, leaving the market at 4M, they expansion would not be as much for a computer as well as a MP3 player, too much of a niche, but a cool product, it would need a decent processor, there's no way the current iPod processor could run OS X, i tried starting up my computer from my iPod, it was slow, and that was just the hard-drive.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sh0eWax

Hmm, I don't quite understand what this "xPod" would do? Wouldn't it need a processor, if processor then main board, and some sort of memory other than HD?

Just FYI, the iPod has two processors on a main board with 32MB of RAM and a hard drive.

It's a computer, full stop. Some enterprising geeks have even got Linux running on iPods now.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Never really realized that, even tho I have seen/read about the Linux on some pods... I stand corrected