The Obligatory 2004 NHL Playoffs Thread

Comments

• Reply 121 of 249
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

Now I know how Sens fans felt in the first round. That Esche guy freaking robbed us. I hate Philly ever so much. Ever, ever so much. But not as much as Antropov. Why is he getting 15 minutes a game!?! He just lazily skates around the ice waiting for the next opportunity to take a dumb-ass penalty. Player of the game.........Tie Domi.

Leafs in six!

4 Straight wins? Don't you have to consistantly score to win games? And if Domi is your player of the game, they don't deserve to win the series.
  • Reply 122 of 249
    Don't you think I know that? I'm a Leaf fan, I'm trying to be optimistic. Three of our best players are injured, all I want is for two of three to play at least a couple of games together. Not this Sundin playes, Newundyk sites or vice versa crap. Its disheartening. Whatever, if they lose to Philly it'll be time for a major overhaul of the team.
  • Reply 123 of 249
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    You can take some tips from Muckler and Burke... they'll be re-tooling their teams as well this off-season due to disappointing playoff results.

• Reply 124 of 249
    I think for the sake of Canadian pride, the five other teams should donate their best players to Leafs for the next season to bring the Cup back north. Surely we all agree that Toronto fans deserve it.
  • Reply 125 of 249
    Not so sure about that. I've noted a large proportion of Leaf fans in other forums are both somewhat arrogant and at the same time, whiny when things don't swing their way...

...then again we have the Hab fans, booing St. Louis and Lacavelier tonight, not because they used to play for Montreal or turned down an offer from Montreal, or threw a cheap shot at a Hab... but because they should know better than to hail from Quebec and play anywhere else.

I wonder if they'll boo Fleury when he gets really good, the weasels.
  • Reply 126 of 249
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Montreal fans boo everything that doesn't speak with a funny accent.

Unbelievable end to regulation in the Habs/Bolts game.

Joseph made an incredible save against Iginla. Detroit has a ton of luck on their side. They should be down 3-0 in the game.
  • Reply 127 of 249
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Damn those Flames are tenacious. Great game for them,
  • Reply 128 of 249
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

... I've noted a large proportion of Leaf fans in other forums are both somewhat arrogant and at the same time, whiny when things don't swing their way...

That pretty much sums up a true Leafs fan. We're willing to accept any excuse for the teams failure but usual it's the damn refs. They don't want us to win you know. That why we're down 2-0 to Philly. Damn refs.

I can't believe the Habs lost that game. What a disgrace. When you here the announcer say that they failed to clear the zone in a situation like that it's almost guaranteed they are about to let a goal in.
  • Reply 129 of 249
    That was an awesome goal... 27 seconds left and BOOM. Brand new game. The Habs thought they could sit on the lead and they got smoked in the end. Good for the Lightning. They are playing really hungry. I love it. Wouldn't it be wild to have a Flames - Lightning Final?? If it happens, whoda thought it... but what a blast. Both teams exciting, both young and hungry.

Would be awesome.
  • Reply 130 of 249
    SWEEEP!!

Adios Ribeiro, you little bitch. Good riddance. I keep telling people the Bolts are a solid team, and that being in a weak division shouldn't make people doubt them. They're for real I think. You can just sense that hunger when they're on the ice. They remind me a little bit of the Bulls during their first championship year... they've got that wide-eyed swagger.

No fear, no panic, lots of execution and team play.
  • Reply 131 of 249
    Not taking anything away from the Bolts but that was a very poor showing by the Habs. NO defense at all. Lucky for the Lighting, whoever manages to win between Philly/Precious Leafs will be beaten into a bloody pulp. Looks like the state of Florida may get their second shot at Lord Stanely.
  • Reply 132 of 249
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I also think that the Bolts are the real deal. I've watched them play games against NJ and Philly this year and they beat those teams at their own game: solid defense and opportunistic offense. They are pretty complete IMO, and they have an excellent work ethic. Tampa Bay's offense doesn't get enough credit for their 2-way abilities. Their soft spot is their defensemen, but I think they're better than people give them credit for, more physical than people assume.

The Sharks are the other great team just from their effort, never-mind their totally solid lines from top to bottom, great 2-way forwards and waaaaaaaaay underrated defense. TB and SJ will earn the respect they deserve this year. They can beat you with finesse and brute force, and they play both sides of the puck (almost) equally well.
  • Reply 133 of 249
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    GO TAMPA! (from a habs fan)

Theo has not been good these last two years... Let Garon take over and ship him out to detroit or something.
  • Reply 134 of 249
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    only a montreal fan would say that! garon cant carry a team and theodore is a great goalie. u dont want him, send him this way (ottawa). we would be much happier with him and not bitch about him not carrying the team. that isnt his job. its not like there is that much depth in front of him. btw, booing players from montreal who play on tampa is just sad, very sad.
  • Reply 135 of 249
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    TO is back in it. Whether or not they win the big one - an event that I would support, despite their victory over the home team - I really, really hope that the Leafs beat the Flyers, a team that I hated ever since those thugs beat the Bruins to win the up in 1974. Most of you may be too young to remember, but I am not. What a bunch of goons - a gang of real jerks who set the tone for the franchise and helped lead to the decline of hockey.
  • Reply 136 of 249
    The Broad Street Bullies I think they were called. Philly has generally cleaned up their act under Hitchcock though. Still hard-nosed at times but more disciplined. If you go back to about [sorry can't think this morning] 2001 and start looking back, they still had that goonish attitude back then. Getting rid of Richardson, McGillis, and McCallister helped reduce their goonish nature.

Only Fedoruk is left really from that crew. The bastard. Even Brashear for all his gooniness, can still skate and handle the puck pretty good for a big guy.

Either way I hope the series goes 7 and the winner loses to Tampa. I'd like a Tampa-Calgary or Tampa-SJ series.

• Reply 137 of 249
    Not a lot of scoring, but two well-played games today. Calgary's shutout of Detroit at the Joe was impressive. Conroy is looking to be back to his old self which is nice. Unfortunately Yzerman took a brutal puck to the eye/orbital area. Hopefully he's not seriously injured.

Meanwhile those Avs apparently have some fire in their bellies after all, pushing the series to 3-2 and heading back to Denver. Rob Blake was not present for most of the game, proving the guy is just not that vital to their chances. I have been completely unimpressed by his total lack of emotion / fire during the season and since.

I'll take a lesser known with some real desire like Sopel or Regehr over a Blake anyday. May not get the bombs from the point (although Sopel is getting better offensively), but you'll get a lot more hustle and sense of urgency. Blake skates around like everyone's Aunt Eunice with a stupid little grin on his face like he's just smoked a joint or something.

• Reply 138 of 249
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    That shot Yzerman took looked pretty bad. If he can't play, the Wings are done.

• Reply 139 of 249
    inactionmaninactionman Posts: 618member
    If the Red Wings lose to Calgary they wouldn't dare put the blame on Cujo again, would they?

I'm starting to think that Bobby Clarke's refusal to stick with any one goalie for any period of time is screwing his team. The Leafs have been getting pucks past Esche pretty easily in T.O. and he has been giving up some huge rebounds on easy shots. Boucher, Chekmanek and now Esche? If this guy fails I'll bet Clarke will quickly jettison him in favour of another unproven goalie to pin their hopes on.

If the Leafs score first tomorrow this series is done in six. If not, Leafs will still win in seven.

And Kim Johnsson shouldn't be playing. He was nigh on useless in Game 4. He seemed unwilling to shoot the puck and a couple of time he let go of his stick with his injured hand and was just holding it mid-shaft. But part of playing for Philly is coming back from serious injuries way too soon lest you inspire the wrath of Bobby Clarke.
  • Reply 140 of 249
    Ehhhh-dd-i-e-e-e-e-e-e! Ehhhhh-dd-i-e-e-e-e-e-e!

6-1 Flyers half way through the second. Brashear is just knocking the crap out of any Leaf who gets near him along the boards / near the net. Nothing dirty either, he's just pancaking them.