'Tis the season for prom! . . .

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So yeah . . . . my high school's prom is in less than 24 hours now. Basically, I have gone the last two weeks wanting to ask this cute blonde girl . . . and never got the opportunity to until Thursday night, when she told me that she already had a date. I failed to rent a tuxedo, mostly because I was in denial that prom was so close . . . then it was too late when I went to get one. Ahh-ahh-ahh . . . I had a "back-up date" from another school, but the deadline for applications for bringing non-EHS students was Tuesday. So, it is 1: 30, and I am dateless, tux-less, and altogether hopeless. I managed to wiggle myself in with my immediate circle of "church friends", who are going in a big group . . but still, what a miserable heap of crap.

So, AI'ers, Im curious: do any of you have wonderful, horror-ridden, or just plain interesting stories to tell about prom, whtehr it be about you or someone else who went to your prom? Im reminded of the scene in the movie "Whatever it Takes" where one of the dateless dudes steals the keys to the mechanically moving floor of the gym and retracts the floor to expose the swimming pool underneath. Mayhem!!! I sincerely hope that there are at least a few of you who were more ill-prepared than I currently am . . . for my own sanity . . . lol Im a junior, btw . . . Next year I plan to have things go much more smoothly. Well, hopefully . . .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    if i were to go to mine, which i don't know when it is, my g/f is over 2 hrs away , but, maybe!
  • Reply 2 of 33
    mac os xmac os x Posts: 53member
    Quote:

If I were to go to mine, which i don't know when it is, my g/f is over 2 hrs away , but, maybe!

Oh, gee, thanks! *Someone* actually has a girlfriend that they could go to prom with. Gee, I feel good now.

LOL . . . ughh . . . no girlfriend . . . ::: sigh :::
  • Reply 3 of 33
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X

So yeah . . . . my high school's prom is in less than 24 hours now. Basically, I have gone the last two weeks wanting to ask this cute blonde girl . . . and never got the opportunity to until Thursday night, when she told me that she already had a date. I failed to rent a tuxedo, mostly because I was in denial that prom was so close . . . then it was too late when I went to get one. Ahh-ahh-ahh . . . I had a "back-up date" from another school, but the deadline for applications for bringing non-EHS students was Tuesday. So, it is 1: 30, and I am dateless, tux-less, and altogether hopeless. I managed to wiggle myself in with my immediate circle of "church friends", who are going in a big group . . but still, what a miserable heap of crap.

So, AI'ers, Im curious: do any of you have wonderful, horror-ridden, or just plain interesting stories to tell about prom, whtehr it be about you or someone else who went to your prom? Im reminded of the scene in the movie "Whatever it Takes" where one of the dateless dudes steals the keys to the mechanically moving floor of the gym and retracts the floor to expose the swimming pool underneath. Mayhem!!! I sincerely hope that there are at least a few of you who were more ill-prepared than I currently am . . . for my own sanity . . . lol Im a junior, btw . . . Next year I plan to have things go much more smoothly. Well, hopefully . . .

If you can't get a tux, find a dark suit, and just wear the shirt, tie and crumb catcher (cumberbon but I forget the spelling) which you can buy at any store. Better yet go with a nice tie and vest combo. No one will really notice if the dark suit is cut more like a suit instead of a tux because everyone there probably rented theirs like you and just have no idea.

Prom is basically just an overblown date. Also most teenagers are horribly self-conscious. The reality isn't that people will look down their nose at you. It is that they probably won't look or bother with you at all. They will be busy having fun, you CAN be busy having fun and so don't worry.

Restaurant, just find a nice one. You'll rememeber the conversation and fun more than the food so again even if you go to Sizzler, who cares.

Vehicle. If you can't go high class, then go eccentric. Either way be memorable so I nominate the crappy old church van for all of you to ride in. I suggest playing Blitz by Audio Adrenaline as you enter the valet/parking area and all of you giving the valet a nice tip.

Get there, take some pics together, bring some cameras, dance until you sweat and bring something silly to do. Maybe some silly string to play with or whatever you think will keep things lose and fun.

If you don't have a date, and aren't going to get a kiss, then at least get lots of hugs. Remember that if you feel lonely, someone else does too. Hugs make everyone feel great.

Lastly go home and if no one is tired, go to Denny's for some pie and more conversation. Play stupid games with sugar packets.

Finally know you had some fun instead of some worries.

I went to both my junior and senior prom. Both were pretty fun, but neither were life altering. Just have fun.

Nick
  • Reply 4 of 33
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    dude, cheeeeell jk, sorry about that bro, but, if it's any consolation, we haven't been going out for too too long...
  • Reply 5 of 33
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Hi Mac OS X -

Ahhh, the ills of procrastination. Tsk. Unfortunately, I know all about those ills. Let me just say that overcoming 'putting stuff off' will probably be a lifelong battle for you, so you should take yourself in hand now and really work on changing your ways, little by little, one thing at a time. (Okay...end of lecture. )

Next year, ask that "really cute blonde girl" two months in advance. Girls spend weeks shopping for dresses, buying shoes, getting their hair streaked, etc. You can't ask them two nights before the prom. (It's not like a movie date.) But I guess that's the point of junior year - to screw up in preparation for *NOT* screwing up senior year. heh. Now you know exactly what you have to do. Right?

Imo, the movie Ten Things I Hate About You has some nice prom moments. I think that film is a teen classic. The female guidance counselor is especially funny.

No interesting stories spring to mind from either of my proms, except that my boyfriend senior year was a real cutie.

I think Kickaha said somewhere that he picked up his prom date on a motorcycle, and then they didn't bother going to the prom, and had a fantastic time. Sounds like Kickaha, doesn't it?
  • Reply 6 of 33
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I went to my prom both times I could. My first year, I procrastinated and decided fairly late that I wanted to go but not '2 days before' late. More like 5 days before.

Still, I'd say that I went my first year just so I could say, "Yeah, I went to the prom". Kind of a lousy exuse but neither of my parents went to their proms so I was guilt tripped into it.

The second year, I went with one girl who had a twin sister (not identical) and it turned out that the sister didn't have a date. Since I didn't have money for a limo or anything, I drove but ended up driving both of them to the prom and when the sister got bored/upset at being there, I had to drive them both home again. Kind of a lousy experience both times, I would rather have spent the time/money on something else.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

So yeah . . . .

Girls need 4 weeks. seriously. It's that sad of an enterprise.

Anyway, formals are really pretty dull. They are entirely for the girls, so that they can look at each other's dresses. Since you mentioned that you're going with "church friends," I don't imagine that you ever had plans to get frisky anyway. You should feel glad that you saved yourself $50 on a tuxedo rental.

Anyhow, tonight I have a Hawaiin luau to go to. Supposedly a whole pig has been cooked in the ground for days. Awesome. It's this kind of stuff that's consolation for the guys: Hawaiian shirts, pig, beer.

FYI, I'm a senior at Princeton right now. Yesterday night all the club had their formals. I recommend buying a tux, because you'll use it enough to have it "pay for itself," whether its for formals or for making money on the side as a bartender.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

The second year, I went with one girl who had a twin sister (not identical) and it turned out that the sister didn't have a date. Since I didn't have money for a limo or anything, I drove but ended up driving both of them to the prom and when the sister got bored/upset at being there, I had to drive them both home again. Kind of a lousy experience both times, I would rather have spent the time/money on something else.

OMG! Girls can be so incredibly selfish and self-centered. That twin had a lot of nerve, first to tag along on 'your' date, and then to ruin the evening for you on top of it. What a spoiled brat she was (and probably STILL is!!!) No *wonder* she didn't have a date...the bitch!

Just be glad you didn't marry either one of them! Your life would have been hell (as some poor guy's probably is/has been.) I think people who have been raised inconsiderate and with no manners seldom improve much over the course of time. I could be wrong though. \

Prom really is expensive. I think it would be safe to say that a LOT of prom dates turn out to be either mediocre or pretty awful, especially considering the amount of money forked out. Sigh. You'd think for that much money, you'd at least have a halfway fun time.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Girls need 4 weeks. seriously. It's that sad of an enterprise.

Anyway, formals are really pretty dull. They are entirely for the girls, so that they can look at each other's dresses.

That's pretty true, actually. But otoh, it really is amazing to see everyone dressed up and 'acting' like adults.

Prom is kind of a 'rite of passage' that everyone should do at least once, even though it does cost a fortune. I think people who blow off prom both years always have a twinge of regret. I could be wrong though; but that's what I think. They tell themselves they didn't miss anything, and other people might confirm that; but in the back of their minds it bothers them that they didn't have an experience that "everyone" else did.

Just seeing all your friends (that you're used to seeing in T-shirts and jeans) all dressed up in tuxes and fancy dresses is a not-to-be-missed, once-in-a-lifetime sight.

You look at everyone and think, "Wow...we're really NOT kids anymore."

Anyway...just my opinion.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    My school didn't have a prom, but a student run (and hidden from the school's administration) grad party. No dates, but lots of booze and lots of drunken hook ups.

My recommendation, sneak a bottle of 80+ proof out of your parent's house, get flucked up before, and barf all over the girl that wouldn't go with you. She'll certainly never forget and if all goes to plan, you won't remember anything the next morning.*

*HOM is not responsible for any actions that may be taken based on his post to AI. You're a man now, live with the consequences.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    My prom is May 29th I think. I've never gone before, but I am this year, just because it's my senior year. Luckily I was asked by a cute girl I am not thrilled about prom, but it's my senior year, and I have a good date so why not?

One thing I regret like nothing else is last year not going. I didn't want to go, and so I turned a couple girls down, and then my dream girl asked me and I had to say no because I said no to the other girls. I know it was probably the right thing to do, but I regret it like nothing else. She has a boyfriend now, so I couldn't ask her this year \
  • Reply 12 of 33
    naderfannaderfan Posts: 156member
    Well, things started well for me for my prom. I got asked a week before the thing and found the perfect dress that same day for under $150. Unfortunately, it kind of went down hill from there. My date still didn't have his driver's license (his mom was really weird and forbid him to get it until he turned 18.) so I had to drive. Then his friend invited himself and his date along. We went to Perkins for dinner, which was fun, but it wasn't exactly prom dinner restaurant. Then when we did get to the place, we only danced twice because a friend of his got dumped by his girlfriend almost right away and she then started dancing with this other guy for the rest of the night. So my date spent the night with him, trying to console him. We missed our carriage ride, which I had really been looking forward to and I ended up hanging out with these two girls who had graduated the year before but came back for prom just for the hell of it. So, not the greatest night of my life, but I did have some fun, and damn it, I looked good. So I guess that's all that matters.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Tis the season for prøn! Oops, uh..
  • Reply 14 of 33
    OK! Prom concluded. It is almost 6 AM here, so forgive me if I am a bit incoherent, although I feel awake enough; I am wired on coffee like you wouldnt believe!

I got ready and dressed . . . and I must say, I have a damn nice suit . . . looked fine. Drove to Flowerama to buy a boutonnière for, ughh, myself . . . which they had a ready-made one (thank God). We all meet up at Sara's house . . . looking pretty. Lalala . . . I found out that I forgot my ticket. I drove back to my house to get the ticket, and back to Sara's. Then . . . we all rode the light rail up to downtown . . . we walked around trying to find the Italian restaurant that we had reservations for. Wander, wander, wander . . . finally find it. Its amazing where mob mentality can lead you. lol

I forgot the name of the restaurant. Stephanie's, or something like that. The food was absolte crap. I really hated it. My waitress wasnt the best person Ive ever experienced . . . and . . . I never did get a salad with my dinner like I was supposed to. The lasagna I had was horrible (Fazoli's is better) . . . and it was $11.95 for the plate. It really was bad. Let me find the actual name so as to warn fellow Denverites here never to eat there . . . Josefina's . . . yeah . . . in fact, I can safely say that it is about the only truly bad restaurant Ive ever eaten at.

Prom: Executive Towers. Small, small room . . . not what I envisioned . . . well, close, I guess. Lalala . . . dance, dance, dance, tear the house down with Loveshack (supposed to do that song for the talent show . . . when other people that were in our group bailed out) . . . fun, fun, . . . find out that the cute blonde girl I wanted to ask there was with Tahn, regarded by class concensus to be a pathetic little b****. That was disheartening. Anyway! Fun, fun . . . oh! prom's over. Time for after-prom . . . at school. 5 hours of playing blackjack to win tokens to get tickets for a raffle to get prizes. That and playing bad volleyball in the gym and running around with a soccer ball acting stupid. Ant a bit of eating, too.

After-prom over, lalala . . . and Im here. So, in short: I had a lot of fun . . . it was nowhere near as romantic and special as I thought it would be . . . and I got many hugs, but no kisses, out of the whole experience.

Number of girls who were previously virgins who lost their virginity tonight after prom: I say at least 6.

::: sigh :::

Oh well
  • Reply 15 of 33
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

Just be glad you didn't marry either one of them! Your life would have been hell ...

Ah, but it could have been interesting had you married both. Are you Mormon perchance?
  • Reply 16 of 33
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Hugs and fun are much better than worries and doing nothing in my book.

Glad to hear it went well.

Nick
  • Reply 17 of 33
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Number of girls who were previously virgins who lost their virginity tonight after prom: I say at least 6.

::: sigh :::

Oh well

Isn't that the lamest thing on Earth? It segways so cleanly into the "wine her, dine her, 69 her" custom that seems to work all too well. Seriously, ladies, if you're a feminist and want respect, it's women you have to fight, and not men.

Sounds like you should be writing this down.

• Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:

Isn't that the lamest thing on Earth? It segways so cleanly into the "wine her, dine her, 69 her" custom that seems to work all too well. Seriously, ladies, if you're a feminist and want respect, it's women you have to fight, and not men.

Amen
  • Reply 19 of 33
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Hey now guys don't knock my plan

Actually I am just hoping for a kiss. I don't know my date very well...I mean we are friends, but we really only know each other because we are in the same group of friends.

I'm not sure about wining and dining though, since they are serving food at our prom...chicken (CHEAP ß@$?@®?$!)

But yeah...figure I'll be looking less ugly in my tux, and it will be a nice setting, say a nice thing or two and hopefully a kiss . I will say it's rather annoying though as since she is pretty cute (but most guys notice her bigger uh well you know) that they are constantly telling me to "get some" and "hit that shit". They think a date means I get whatever I want. Sometimes being a gentleman is a curse!
  • Reply 20 of 33
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    I'll post pics, my prom is next saturday. Chris and Kristin. haha