Frisbee players?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Any of you cats play frisbee?

Frisbee Golf?

Ultimate?

Freestyle?

I love the Ultimate, it's a very physically demanding sport, and it's damn fun too. Frisbee Golf is very fun too, especially since you can play it almost anywhere. I also like just tossing the disc around with just a couple friends.

In addition to that, I am very proficient in spinning the disc on my finger, I can do it clockwise, counter clockwise, upside down, right side up, fast, slow, on any finger, toss it between fingers or back and forth on my hands...etc.

I have with me right now my 200 gram heavy weight disc, great for long distance throws into the wind. Regulation ultimate is 175 grams, I also have a lightweight 145 grams.

Too bad it's not very practical to play frisbee anywhere in the City, well, maybe at the common or the fens.

anyway, It's good stuff.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I love ultimate, and frisbee golf is awesome too.

I've been playing ultimate for years now, usually just a pickup game with a couple of buddies. It's awesome, and tires you out like nothing else

Frisbee golf is great too. I have a few courses no more than a few miles from my house. It's fun to get out and do that on a nice day.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    A good place to play frisbee golf is at campgrounds. Assuming there aren't *too* many people there, and you aren't an amateur

I rarely play Frisbee golf with all the regulation discs and holes, but I don't think they are necessary to have fun.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    I used to play ultimate when I was in college. I was a sceptic of the game, until I played it. Tons of fun. I've never played frolf before, but I am sure it has nothing against golf.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    ultimate frisbee is my game! also, frisbee at the beach is pretty sweet!
  • Reply 5 of 20
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Ultimate Frisbee saved my life.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    from what?
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

from what?

From being a lard ass maybe? it is a great work out.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    magicfingersmagicfingers Posts: 703member
    disc golf is always a good time. I have a few certificates for hole-in-ones from back in "teh day".

one time a few of us were throwing a golf disc at a friends family reunion for some toss and catch. Those golf discs go hundreds of feet so we were spread way out. Well, one of my long throws decided to hook a bit early and headed for a picnic table full of people. We yelled, and everyone at the table ducked except for one young lady. The 200 gram golf disc hit her in the nose and busted her up bad. Lotsa blood and screaming. Turns out she was BLIND and never seen it coming, I felt bad to say the least. Then her boyfriend (my friends cousin) who is also blind decides he is gonna kick my ars, that pissed of his brother who then started kicking his blind brothers ars. Needless to say I left in a hurry and wasnt welcome to anymore family parties.

Randy
  • Reply 9 of 20
    I was learning a new throw(we called it the thumber, don't know if that's an official name) Which is essentially an inverted hammer. So me and my pal are learning this throw(another friend was teaching us) and I'm standing there, my pal was about 5 feet in front of me and to my left. I toss with full force this thumber throw, only(as I was still learning at the time) I released at the wrong point and it went flying directly into my friends face!

He was okay, since not only is the thumber throw a very powerful throw to begin with, but also, I was just learning and my 'full force' thumber was nothing compared to what it is now.

but it bludgeoned his nose pretty good, no blood or anything, but he was feeling it for a while after.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

From being a lard ass maybe? it is a great work out.

so, being a lard ass is a great workout? ???

just playin man, i gotcha!
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

from what?

I was too busy playing ultimate frisbee one afternoon, and in doing so I missed my ride to a party in Austin. The car I was going to be in hit the back of a semi doing 60. Two DOA, rear passenger survived. That frisbee is on my wall.

<end total buzzkill statement>

I love Ultimate. Especially Full Contact Ultimate.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

The car I was going to be in hit the back of a semi doing 60<end total buzzkill statement>

How fast was the car going?

Not to disrespect the tragedy of their deaths \
  • Reply 13 of 20
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I don't now, and have never, felt the appeal of frisbees. It's like a ball for people with bad hand-eye.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I don't now, and have never, felt the appeal of frisbees. It's like a ball for people with bad hand-eye.

Obviously you haven't played a lot of frisbee.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Neither did I until I learned how to properly throw one.

Try it sometime. It's addictive, especially when you can rifle a disc 75+ yards. Good stuff.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Oh yes, the standard retorts. Throwing a frisbee is just like a one-handed backhand in tennis. I can throw one a long way.

Anyway, to you I say, "Obviously someone who has bad hand-eye and can't enjoy faster paced sports."
  • Reply 17 of 20
    There is far more to it than that, I know about a dozen different throws, each has their own purpose, additionally, it's not just about how hard or far you throw it. It's accuracy, spin, angle(of the disc), curve..etc.

That type of stuff takes know-how and skill, not unlike archery or shooting, throwing a football, kicking a soccer ball, shooting a basket, driving a golf ball...etc.

In addition to that, you need to know how to catch the thing, if someone tosses you a hammer(upside down) disc, that is at an angle and spinning very fast, it's not exactly easy to catch.

and on top of that, ultimate requires just as much fast paced thinking as a sport like basketball or soccer.

But then again, I'm wasting my time, you probably couldn't care less and are probably having a good laugh at my expense, well, bollocks to you, I love frisbee.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

How fast was the car going?

Not to disrespect the tragedy of their deaths \

60mph. Semi was stopped. Alcohol was involved. All occupants were intoxicated. The driver was 0.18 BAC. Bad, tragic situation. People that I did not know, or only in passing. Still took awhile to get over all that. \
  • Reply 19 of 20
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Anyway, to you I say, "Obviously someone who has bad hand-eye and can't enjoy faster paced sports."

"Can't enjoy faster paced sports?"

Have you ever played pickup ultimate (5v5) on a really small field, e.g. 1/3 of a soccer field? I'm pretty sure Ultimate is one of the fastest sports I've ever played.

Wrong Robot, I agree, if people don't want to play, fine. I love it too. Now that my track season is finished, it's time for some ultimate.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

Wrong Robot, I agree, if people don't want to play, fine. I love it too. Now that my track season is finished, it's time for some ultimate.

indeed, most of my friends who diverged for various colleges will be converging in Cali for the summer, there will be much ultimate to be played.

one of my friends goes to UCSC, home of the Banana-slugs the top frisbee team in the nation(last I heard, that may have changed) though he's not on the team, he often plays pick ups with members from it, so I'm sure his(already substantial frisbee skills) will be much improved.