Moved to DH: The next step in the Digital Hub...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I think this product from <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/smartdisplay/"; target="_blank">The Dark Side</a> actually provides a very good idea of where Apple could go with the next Digital Hub product. I would certainly love one of these at home hooked up to my Power Mac as it provides even more portability than a laptop with all the power of a desktop at hand.

And we know that an Apple version would be a squillion times more useful with all the iApps.

Think about the idea of being able to watch a DVD anywhere in your house or garden while it's being streamed over AirPort from you Mac.

I think the possibilities are endless. This really would be a great addition to the Studio Display range.

[ 10-22-2002: Message edited by: TTzz ]

[ 10-27-2002: Message edited by: Fran441 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Kind of interesting, is there anything about the cost of these 'smart' screens? Though I think Apple would be better off trying to further the adoption of Rendezvous, then you could watch a DVD or play music from your mac on any compliant device around your home.

Doesn't that sort of stuff take up a lot of wireless bandwidth though? You have to compress the GUI and send it in real time to the 'smart' screen as well as any other data.

And how do you access email without a keyboard? Surely by the time you have all the stuff you need to make this thing useful you almost have another computer.

[ 10-22-2002: Message edited by: fridgemagnet ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Where do you want to waste your money this time?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Interesting. But should be in The Digital Hub forum,
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ttzzttzz Posts: 10member
    [quote]Originally posted by Chucker:

<strong>Where do you want to waste your money this time?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think I have the right to waste my own money how and where and I please as does anyone else!

This is the sort of thing I hear from the Winblows crowd when they find out I'm a Mac user.

[ 10-22-2002: Message edited by: TTzz ]

[ 10-22-2002: Message edited by: TTzz ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 8
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    looks like a neat device. it is unfortunate that the whole thing is based around a crumby operating system
  • Reply 6 of 8
    ttzzttzz Posts: 10member
    [quote]Originally posted by progmac:

<strong>looks like a neat device. it is unfortunate that the whole thing is based around a crumby operating system</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly my point. A similar Apple device with OSX and the iApps would absolutely scream Digital Hub not just at the specific location of your Mac but throughout your home. It seems to be a perfect use for AirPort networks in the home that goes beyond just connecting to the net.

I can also see business uses for it: take your computer with you to boardroom meetings or to another colleague's desk/office and have all your files on tap.

You greatly expand the breath and usability of your Mac and all you have to buy is a new monitor not a whole new computer.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    While this does deal with Future Hardware, speculation on future Digital Hub products (hardware and software) belongs in the Digital Hub.