iBook noises

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all!!!

I just bought my first MAC... one iBook G4 800 12", and after one week it already replaced my Windows desktop :P

The next thing to do is to get more RAM... I only have the standard 256 MB, but right now there's something that make me think I may have a problem, here is why!!!

I keep hearing this noises coming inside my iBook I hear them from time to time, I think that's from the hard disk... it look like a drop of water falling... I'm sorry I can't explain this better!!

is this normal?

hugs,

mari0

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    It could be the HD retrieving data. Once in a while my Powerbooks HD makes a clunk noise. I asked around at apple discussions and the genuis bar at my local apple store and they all said, "It may be the HD collecting data." If it is not that I have no idea.

PS this belongs in genuis bar.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    I have a similar issue with my new G3 iBook, as well. The HD seems to be making persistent "access" sounds (like something inside is making little footstep sounds all day), even when you would expect there shouldn't be much going on with the HD. It doesn't really follow with the scribbles indicated by the disk activity chart, too well either.

It makes me nervous- as if the HD is about to break its last leg. I don't see any particular program in the Activity Monitor that corresponds to the disk activity. It's just weird.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    I would give you one piece of advice... backup religiously for awhile until you are sure it is not a failure coming on. After some time you kinda learn what sounds "normal" and what doesn't. Last week I had a PBTi power supply issue- could hear some fans freaking out. If it really bugs you, you have nothing to lose by having an apple tech hear it. And take it from one who has been saved- AppleCare is a MUST for laptops.

And...

Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

PS this belongs in genuis bar.

I love ya, Quag. That's quality. True Art.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Just to be on the safe side, check the SMART status of your HDD.

Go into your Terminal (HD/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and type:

Code:

diskutil info disk0

Look at the line that says: "SMART Status:"

If after that line, it says anything but "Verified", backup all your data IMMEDIATELY and don't use that computer till you've taken it into an Apple store.

Good luck.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Yes, I have been looking at that for a while now, but didn't know what SMART means. It says in red, "FAILING". No kidding! I'm guessing that is not such a cool thing to see on a new laptop?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

Yes, I have been looking at that for a while now, but didn't know what SMART means. It says in red, "FAILING". No kidding! I'm guessing that is not such a cool thing to see on a new laptop?

Doesn't matter if the laptop is new or old, BACKUP NOW and don't use that machine till you've replaced the HDD.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Yes, I get the picture already! It's a new laptop, as in there is nothng from me worth backing up on there. It's all pre-installed stuff on there. I did grab my user preferences folder, however.

Now can anybody explain what S.M.A.R.T. is all about?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    How can it be a new laptop if it has a G3 inside?

Anyhow:

SMART: Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology

http://www.storagereview.com/guide20...uresSMART.html

Quote:

The fundamental principle behind SMART is that many problems with hard disks don't occur suddenly. They result from a slow degradation of various mechanical or electronic components. SMART evolved from a technology developed by IBM called Predictive Failure Analysis or PFA. PFA divides failures into two categories: those that can be predicted and those that cannot. Predictable failures occur slowly over time, and often provide clues to their gradual failing that can be detected. An example of such a predictable failure is spindle motor bearing burnout: this will often occur over a long time, and can be detected by paying attention to how long the drive takes to spin up or down, by monitoring the temperature of the bearings, or by keeping track of how much current the spindle motor uses. An example of an unpredictable failure would be the burnout of a chip on the hard disk's logic board: often, this will "just happen" one day. Clearly, these sorts of unpredictable failures cannot be planned for.

More information at the link.
  • Reply 9 of 14
  • Reply 10 of 14
    OK, thanks for the info, guys. Tis a shame- this HD's life was over before it even started... It's great that HD's are getting smart enough to give some sort of alert,instead of just keeling over one day.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

OK, thanks for the info, guys. Tis a shame- this HD's life was over before it even started... It's great that HD's are getting smart enough to give some sort of alert,instead of just keeling over one day.

No kidding!

I check the SMART status of my disks weekly just to be safe. But nothing is a substitute for regular backups! I even SSH into my servers and check the disks in there.

You have AppleCare on that bad boy, right? Cause HDD replacement on an iBook will make even grown up, male computer junkies cry like babies.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    No, I don't have Applecare. However, I would think that if the iBook is shipped with a failing HD, it should be covered under the merchant's 30 day warranty. Still need to get in touch with the guy... I got a list of things I need to talk over with the guy at this point.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Just to be on the safe side, check the SMART status of your HDD.

Go into your Terminal (HD/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and type:

Code:

diskutil info disk0

Look at the line that says: "SMART Status:"

If after that line, it says anything but "Verified", backup all your data IMMEDIATELY and don't use that computer till you've taken it into an Apple store.

Good luck.

I can't find Smart status on mine.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    You don't need Terminal for this.

Open /Utilities/Disk Utility and you'll see something like the image below as you select each of your drives. If you don't, then you simply have an oddball drive that doesn't have SMART support. The vast majority of new ones from the past few years support it, but not all drives do.