What are the best fonts for iMAC 17"

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am having real trouble with the clarity of reading my safari browser. Maybe it is because the screen width is so much greater than the height. Any suggestions on font type and size? Also how do I open more than one browser window. As you can tell I am new to Mac, just bought it Friday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    You'll need to explain how you're having difficulty. Is the text too small? Does it look fuzzy, or perhaps too blocky and jagged? Or is it an issue with readability, where the font may look okay and be the right size, but is arranged so it's difficult to read?

If it's too small, you can press (command)-(shift)-(=) or select "Make Text Bigger" from the "View" menu. To go back, use (command)-(-) or choose "Make Text Smaller."

If it's too fuzzy or too blocky, you can go to the System Preferences (in your Applications folder and probably in your Dock as well), go to the Appearance one, and change the antialiasing settings. Antialiasing is the technical term for font smoothing. The numbers listed represent the smallest font size that is antialiased, so if you select a small number, most things will be smoothed, and if you select a big one, most things will remain blocky.

Finally, if you're just having trouble because individual lines of text are too long, try just resizing your Safari window to not be so wide. If you have it taking up the entire screen, you're going to run into really long lines of text that are hard to read.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gensor

I am having real trouble with the clarity of reading my safari browser. Maybe it is because the screen width is so much greater than the height. Any suggestions on font type and size?

Myriad all the way baby!

If you press Command-+ (i.e. Cmd-Shift-=) or go View menu > Make Text Bigger, you can make the fonts bigger on the window you're looking at.

Quote:

Also how do I open more than one browser window. As you can tell I am new to Mac, just bought it Friday.

To open an additional browser window, either go to the File menu and select "New Window" or press Command-N or click on a link while holding down the Command key. Alternatively, you could open a new tab, by going File menu > New Tab, or pressing Command-T.

By the way: the command keys are the ones immediately to the right and left of the space bar.

Don't be afraid to check out some of the other browsers for Mac if Safari doesn't suit you, btw: particularly good are:

Omniweb

Firefox

Mozilla

If you're sticking with Safari, you should check out the ad-blocking goodness of PithHelmet
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Gill Sans
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Also, have you changed the screen's resolution? If the resolution isn't set to it's highest (native) resolution, things are going to look fuzzy and kind of hard to look at.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    gensorgensor Posts: 48member
    Thanks. You really helped me