iTunes on a Windows...how slow!?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm running iTunes 4.5 on my PC (PIII 1.2G with 256MB RAM), and it's dog slow - resizing the window, moving the window etc are all really lethargic.

I know this is a recognised problem with lots of Apple's 2D rendering, but is there anything anyone knows that can improve it on Windows?

J.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Ironically, in my experience the windows version is actually more responsive than the mac version. This suggests that something is FUBAR with your PC.

Sorry... don't know what the fix is.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Ironically, in my experience the windows version is actually more responsive than the mac version. This suggests that something is FUBAR with your PC.

Sorry... don't know what the fix is.

HOLY SH*T!!!if your mac is slower than the windows version then either mac sucks, which they dont, or your mac is old (like g3) and your pc is new (P4 ish) OR your mac os/software is hosed in the worst way and you need to rwinstall!

The windows version is great, but it is bulkyer and has a slower responce than PHOTOSHOP 7
  • Reply 3 of 7
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

HOLY SH*T!!!if your mac is slower than the windows version then either mac sucks, which they dont, or your mac is old (like g3) and your pc is new (P4 ish) OR your mac os/software is hosed in the worst way and you need to rwinstall!

The windows version is great, but it is bulkyer and has a slower responce than PHOTOSHOP 7

Um... neither version "sucks". They both perform well enough that performance isn't an issue.

As I said before: "In my experience"

Just thought it might be useful for the original poster to know that it is _possible_ for iTunes to respond instantly on even mediocre windows machines.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    I run iTunes on a 1yo Winbox (2.4/512/XPPro), it is just fine. I also run it on a PB G4 400/512/10.2.8, it is also just fine. I also have an iMac Rev c (G3 266/256) OS 10.1.5 and it runs just fine. Not sure what the problem is with the PC, but what version of Windows anymore.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    It seems fine on this celery my in-laws to be have.

edit: me no speak inglish good 2dae.

I meant to say "it seems to be fine on this celery my in-laws (to be) have."
  • Reply 6 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    The system requirements say "500 MHz Pentium class processor or better", but I respectfully disagree that such a system is fast enough for iTunes's GUI to be bearable to work with.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    seriously?? i have a pentium 3 450mhz that runs it super. i dont know about how many programs can be running well cuz i dont use the pc. its not like i have a lot of ram either just 256mb.