10.4 Tiger Feature Request

Comments

• Reply 101 of 243
    FTP is such an old technology- why can't apple get it right when they can do rendezvous so well? It kills me.

Don't get me wrong, i love OS X. The finder, however, has A LOT of room for improvement. I mean, in some aspects its unparalleled, like automatic iDisk sync for example. But there are so many glaring omissions on technologies not supported or not supported well, and customizations that should be available but aren't.

The dock too- needs serious feature maturity.
  • Reply 102 of 243
    I'd like to attatch stickies to files as reminders of work in progress... I did suggest this years ago under OS 8...

R
  • Reply 103 of 243
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Imergingenious

FTP is such an old technology- why can't apple get it right when they can do rendezvous so well? It kills me.

What do you mean exactly? FTP is basicly a collection of protocolls. Btw, unix is old technology

Quote:

The finder, however, has A LOT of room for improvement. I mean, in some aspects its unparalleled, like automatic iDisk sync for example. But there are so many glaring omissions on technologies not supported or not supported well, and customizations that should be available but aren't.

Could you just state some examples to make your opinion more vivid?

Quote:

The dock too- needs serious feature maturity.

same as above.

I always loved macos because of its sheer simplicity. Now macos has grown up with "X". And i still love this os BECAUSE of its sheer simplicity. Anyway, i'd like to see some improvements too (as i mentioned above), but on the other hand i would say: keep it simple. keep it rock solid simple.

best
  • Reply 104 of 243
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    God damn, I only have one request for 10.4. =\\

SPRING LOADED FOLDERS IN THE DOCK. ~

That's all.

- Xidius
  • Reply 105 of 243
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    Location profiles can be handled pretty well with Location X. Easy to set up and worked for me when I was carrying my computer around with me.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13855

I would like iCal to update its icon without having to be launched. A new FS that had Windows drivers so I could stop formatting my external drives with FAT32 would also be real nice.
  • Reply 106 of 243
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by richardb

* Speed. I use a late 20th century PC-laptop running XP. And sure enough, it is faster in many things compared to my brand new Powerbook.

realy, I know the G4 is no atholon 3200, but a 4 year old unit, damn can i get some feedback from other PB users, is that right?

went into my pile of old magazines and did some homework:

PC MAG. Feb 8 2000

Compaq armoda laptop

$5400

pIII 500 mhz

128 mb ram

24.2 gig hdd

15 inch display

and the mid range $2100$ gateway had the following specs

p3 450

32 megs of ram

4 gb hdd

win. 98

XP would make that beg for mercy

the only way even if you have doubled the ram, that the PB could be slower is if you are useing a 233 wall street

if you have a new aluminum PB you dont want, I will gladly trade you a 5 year old pc notebook for it

note both configs are early this century, and yours was older and slower than that so my offer would "technicaly" be an upgrade for you
  • Reply 107 of 243
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SledgeHammer

I think it's been mentioned in hear already, but I have to second it: Good FTP in Finder!

I do a lot of FTP and to be able to get and put like I was copying between any other two Finder windows would make me such a happy person.

I'd rather have them implement something like lufs, and then just use SCP.

FTP is horribly outdated and insecure anyway. It's no good for uploading files, as there is *zero* encryption, and for downloading, protocols like HTTP, rsync and BitTorrent offer far superior options.
  • Reply 108 of 243
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Virtual desktops are jointly taken care of by Expose and Fast User Switching. I personally have a problem with multiple desktops; I think it breaks the continuity of your workflow and is confusing in general.

The only Expose change I want is for there to be optional sound effects; a la a 'whoooosh!' when you hit F9 and all the windows glide across the screen.

One other UI improvement I want is for there to be a choice to have a system-wide 'professional' theme, like those used in Final Cut/Soundtrack, or the new one used in Motion. Graphite just depresses me.

Exposé is rubbish! It's a pointless toy, and it doesn't really have a practical use. And a resize thing, that is very windows, click a button and then drag where you want your window to be, not very intuitive is it! And what's the point? Apple should go more simple, create a simple finder that doesn't have huge icons, get rid of all these heavy CPU transitions, and make OS X take up less space, make it faster through simplicity. Look at Windows XP, those effects that it has make it really slow, Apple has reduced them in 10.3, it should reduce them further.
  • Reply 109 of 243
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

I'd rather have them implement something like lufs, and then just use SCP.

FTP is horribly outdated and insecure anyway. It's no good for uploading files, as there is *zero* encryption, and for downloading, protocols like HTTP, rsync and BitTorrent offer far superior options.

Perhaps, but as a webmaster for an online lit mag encrypted uploads is not a real big concern for me. Once I upload the files, they're on the web for anyone to DL. Nor are encrypted file transfers a big concern for the average person who would be using ftp in Finder. The general standard for uploading to web servers is still FTP, and that, therefore, is what we need.

Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Exposé is rubbish! It's a pointless toy, and it doesn't really have a practical use <snip>

I hope you're kidding. (I can't really tell from your post.) Before I installed Panther I couldn't really see what use Exposé was, but since I started using Panther in December, Exposé has probably been the single most used new feature in the OS. For instance, when I download something, it goes to my desktop. I can then use Exposé to get at it even though it's under 3 or 4 windows. It's a wonderful inovation. And as far as speed issues, you can see my config down in my sig. I'm using a 3 year old computer and have no real speed issues whatsoever.
  • Reply 110 of 243
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Apple has reduced them in 10.3, it should reduce them further.

I can't tell if you're being facetious through that whole last post or not.

Apple hasn't reduced animations with 10.3. In fact, Apple has added more animations and sped up some of the existing ones.

If Apple can add useful animations that serve as good visual cues, as they do now, and they can still work smoothly on a nearly four-year-old computer like mine, as they do now, I say do it to it!
  • Reply 111 of 243
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Exposé is rubbish! It's a pointless toy, and it doesn't really have a practical use. And a resize thing, that is very windows, click a button and then drag where you want your window to be, not very intuitive is it! And what's the point? Apple should go more simple, create a simple finder that doesn't have huge icons, get rid of all these heavy CPU transitions, and make OS X take up less space, make it faster through simplicity. Look at Windows XP, those effects that it has make it really slow, Apple has reduced them in 10.3, it should reduce them further.

In windows xp, I can turn off all of the pointless effects like menu fade, themes and other fisher-price gui shit and it runs a ton faster, the differance is mac did it right, the effects on mac, while also far more tastefull, are rendered by the GPU - Thus quarts extream, in windows, the cpu does it which means that other more important calculations are given a lower priority. I wish that windows would offload high end desktop effect rendering to the GPU via DX9 like what apple has doen with the quarts engine. Imagine a DX9 desktop.

just a note, to avoid effects all together, use the included unix command line enviornment
  • Reply 112 of 243
    Quote:

Originally posted by SledgeHammer

Perhaps, but as a webmaster for an online lit mag encrypted uploads is not a real big concern for me. Once I upload the files, they're on the web for anyone to DL. Nor are encrypted file transfers a big concern for the average person who would be using ftp in Finder. The general standard for uploading to web servers is still FTP, and that, therefore, is what we need.

I hope you're kidding. (I can't really tell from your post.) Before I installed Panther I couldn't really see what use Exposé was, but since I started using Panther in December, Exposé has probably been the single most used new feature in the OS. For instance, when I download something, it goes to my desktop. I can then use Exposé to get at it even though it's under 3 or 4 windows. It's a wonderful inovation. And as far as speed issues, you can see my config down in my sig. I'm using a 3 year old computer and have no real speed issues whatsoever.

NO I'M NOT KIDDING

Exposé is a cack-handed approach to window management. It doesn;t work for me, I've used it for my window management, I don;t like the curvy edge it creates around my desktop and I don't like the transition it sues, why have a transition at all?

10.3 is more tacky as well, but less animations. Transparency has been eliminated from title bars and menu bars have been reduced.

However, folders have been given a ridiculous box around them when you select them, and the colour folder option is so tacky an badly designed. Apple have gone down the Windows direction. If you look at OS 9, yes there were problems with the coloured folders but it looked a lot better than OS X does. Don't get em wrong I really like Panther and Apple, it jut seems that they are going towards the tacky direction rather than stylish and minimalist which is what they always used to be.

Exposé is a toy to address the Windows task bar, Apple could have done it better and in a more functional way, but they are dumbing down to appeal to the lowest common denominator. A swish toy to show off to your mates, not really as good a solution as Apple would normally make. As someone on this forum said, lets put in a sound effect. He represents perfectly my grumble, platinum sounds thankfully haven't been brought forward from OS 9, yet!

I'M GLAD TO SEE THIS IS TURNING INTO A PROPER DEBATE!
  • Reply 113 of 243
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Exposé is a toy to address the Windows task bar,

???

Expose is now an integral part of my desktop workflow. It is as fundamental as clicking and dragging. Yes, it was 'neat' the day I first used it and it was fun to just play around with for the couple of days before it became a serious tool.
  • Reply 114 of 243
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

I'M GLAD TO SEE THIS IS TURNING INTO A PROPER DEBATE!

It's better to have constructive input than a mind numbing argument. That's what AO is for.
  • Reply 115 of 243
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

???

Expose is now an integral part of my desktop workflow. It is as fundamental as clicking and dragging. Yes, it was 'neat' the day I first used it and it was fun to just play around with for the couple of days before it became a serious tool.

yeah I can see that it could be used as a serious tool, and that's why it should be improved, but not by making it make noises, remove the transitions and make it less tacky!
  • Reply 116 of 243
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

yeah I can see that it could be used as a serious tool, and that's why it should be improved, but not by making it make noises, remove the transitions and make it less tacky!

Remove the transitions?

The transitions are there to tell you where each window comes from and where the windows you had in front of you went.

Without the transitions it will be a UI hell.
  • Reply 117 of 243
    the transitions are visual feedback to tell you where the folders came from and where they are going. Its actually pretty useful. Maybe not essential, but better than no transitions.
  • Reply 118 of 243
    Quote:

Originally posted by Imergingenious

the transitions are visual feedback to tell you where the folders came from and where they are going. Its actually pretty useful. Maybe not essential, but better than no transitions.

You're right, I just thought of that!

Anyway what I was saying about Exposé is that it's not one of those things that I miss when I'm on other computers, unlike scroll wheels and command-h to hide things. I suppose I'd like to see the dock the command-tab feature and expose combined!

When you press command-tab, you can cycle through all your windows in miniature, but I suppose Expose´does that already, and there is a shortcut to go through all your open windows already!? I really don't know what I'm trying to say! I just don't think Exposé is useful for me. To be honest I probably just think this cos I haven;t used it recently, when I was working on design projects I used it a lot to find photos and things, I used it to cycle through lots of things, just i use Illustrator in classic so it doesn't work that well!

SO basically I'm taking back what I said, Exposé is useful, it could be improved and made less tacky, the transitions should stay, but maybe they could be removed when the window has been selected (speed up the selection process?) I suppose i'd like Expose to allow you to use the windows in their minature size! Now that would be sweet, but only if you haven;t got too many windows open - so maybe not!

I KNOW WHY DON'T USE EXPOSE MUCH!!!! I tidy up all my windows, i always have. i hate having a cluttered computer, everything has to be miniaturised or hidden, so expose is not useful to me, i don;t like not seeing the desktop behind the app window I'm using. Therefore the only app I have that's open is the one I'm using!!!

SO ignore me, but going back to another point I made, who thinks Apple should improve those eye-sores called folder colours!!
  • Reply 119 of 243
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

I just don't think Exposé is useful for me. To be honest I probably just think this cos I haven;t used it recently, when I was working on design projects I used it a lot to find photos and things, I used it to cycle through lots of things, just i use Illustrator in classic so it doesn't work that well!

SO basically I'm taking back what I said, Exposé is useful, ...

I KNOW I DON:T USE EXPOSE MUCH!!!! ...

well, you may withdraw
  • Reply 120 of 243
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    I want the Put Away command to come back. I recently worked on a project in Mac OS 9 and all the old habits came right back to me. I took all the files that I needed put them on the desktop so they would be at the root level of Open/Save dialogue boxes. When I finished the project, I simply hit command y and all the files went right back to where they were. This was a great feature and I can only assume that it's demise was due to the poor metadata implementation in the Finder.