Soundtrack vs Garageband

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
What is the difference? Are they both made by Apple? Is one more advanced? Enlighten me.

Logan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Soundtrack

GarageBand

You're welcome.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    Well, I'm not illiterate, I could have done that myself, but to save time I thought I would post and maybe get a brief summary of each. Man I'm getting sick of these asinine moderator pricks. Answer the question without trying to be cute. F ucker.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    And I've had my fill of lazy-assed posters that expect others to do their basic homework for them.

Ask a question because you looked and don't know, not because you're lazy. Again.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Soundtrack is geared towards non-musicians. Timing is in seconds (better for movie soundtracks) not beats, loops are simply long streches of prerecorded audio. It is difficult to record instruments (you need to use the Soundtrack Loop Editor).

Garage Band is geared towards musicians and the musically semi literate. It is good for producing songs on their own, rather than soundtracks. Loops are audio that are prerecorded or easily recorded through your audio in (or USB or Firewire) from within the program. You can use inbuilt instruments to play the midi track of loops rather than the audio for some funky combinations. Timing is in beats and bars, not seconds. Garage Band includes virtual amplifiers for guitars.

Track settings are pretty much the same between both apps. Volume and panning envelopes, overall volume and pan, effects, etc. They both include tempo control so you can use all the loops in both programs, not just the ones that fit the tempo.

If you want to make movie soundtracks then use Soundtrack. If you want to record and mix songs, use Garage Band.

Barto
  • Reply 5 of 9
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Logan

Well, I'm not illiterate, I could have done that myself, but to save time I thought I would post and maybe get a brief summary of each. Man I'm getting sick of these asinine moderator pricks. Answer the question without trying to be cute. F ucker.

That is uncalled for.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Whoa, Logan. You need to take a step back, calm down, look over your original post, and then read our posting guidelines. There is absolutely no excuse for your kind of response. You asked the vaguest of possible questions and Kickaha offered you the most basic answer. People do post questions here that don't think to check the actual product pages. You looked like exactly that kind of person, especially with your second question. You can't expect people to assume you know more than you tell them.

The bitching stops here. If it happens again, I will be swinging the admin stick with full force.

So, I will repeat what Kickaha said. What is there that the product pages or a simple 5-second Google search don't tell you that you want to know?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

And I've had my fill of lazy-assed posters that expect others to do their basic homework for them.

Ask a question because you looked and don't know, not because you're lazy. Again.

My solution to these lazy ass posters?

It works wonderfully.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

. People do post questions here that don't think to check the actual product pages. You looked like exactly that kind of person, especially with your second question.

He is that kind of person.

Just recent examples of his "style".
  • Reply 9 of 9
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Yay!!!! Homework for me!? Awww, you're too kind Logan. Do you also have a bit of math work I finish for you?