GarageBand Jam Pack Loops vs. Soundtrack Loops.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Are they significantly different? I already have Soundtrack, but was wondering if I should spring for the $99 for the Jam Pack loops. I need to develop some more music to put on the wedding videos I am doing for people.

Thanks for your assistance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Sorry, i don't know the answer to your question. However, in case you haven't noticed GB has been starting a small industry in loops. I think new material will be coming from many sources. For some links you can start at:

http://www.icompositions.com/downloads/
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I don't know what loops are different, but it does have some other midi instruments.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Ah the wonders of the Search feature... I had this exact same question. Thanks for that link btw. I downloaded the Access loops earlier today and they are sweet. Downloading some more free loops now. I suspect there will be no more Jam Pack releases if this little cottage industry really takes off.

On a tangent: I have never been schooled in music but do have a good ear, and was able in the span of 30 minutes to make a really cool 3.5 minute synth track with GarageBand. What an incredibly cool little application.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    macgrahammacgraham Posts: 25member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Sorry, i don't know the answer to your question. However, in case you haven't noticed GB has been starting a small industry in loops. I think new material will be coming from many sources.[/url]

found a good place today. check out www.tuneuploops.com. There's a free 10 loop demo. 500 loops for about $35, good loops too
  • Reply 5 of 11
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Why don't you get some samples, and make your own excellent loops? That is skill. :-)
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Actually I thought the loops technically *are* the samples. And that you make those with Reason and a Midi keyboard. Either way I agree it requires more skill than what I've been doing half the day.

Skill or not though, when you have an ear for music, it's fun to put your own simple tunes together for the first time.

• Reply 7 of 11
    For those who have the JamPack, what are your opinions of the breadth and quality of the new loops vs. what ships with the app? Is there enough sufficiently new stuff in each category to make it worthwhile?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    666666 Posts: 134member
    I got the jam pack not long after garageband, so i'm not sure of the difference, but i've dug around in the sample library to nick snares for Cubase and the quality of the samples are amazing!! The rock drum kits flam is on the money!!!

The amp simulators are of great quality and this lil app blows my mind!! I've found myself running drum & guitar tracks in garageband and exporting to cubase.

I CANNOT wait to see what the Logic 7 pans out like!!!
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Since it's now basically an Apple product, I too will probably get a copy of Logic 7 when it's released.

Also does anyone know if GB loops must be in AIFF format? I notice in .Mac there is a bunch of free music in AAC format from Freeplay. Are those loops that can be used in GB?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Moogs,

The new 1.1 update allows import of AAC files, so yes you can use that music. You can just chop the beginning and end of the song till you get a section you want. Then you can loop that.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Thanks for the response. I tried importing them by dropping them into the Loop field area, but I got the message "Apple Loop format only", and I also tried opening the files themselves but they're all greyed out. Ideas?