in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.nd.edu/~jvanderk/sysone/

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH System-1!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    the interface looks pretty close to that of System 7
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Yes, the interface was nearly identical through System 6.

System 7 introduced some colors into the scheme with light blue folders and very subtle blue and purple highlights throughout the system.

Mac OS 8 brought about the angled folders and beveled "platinum" appearance that remained through the remainder of the Classic Mac OS.

Only three major appearance styles through the 17-year run of Classic Mac OS. Amazing... we've had three major appearance styles in the three years of Mac OS X's life!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    beige_g3beige_g3 Posts: 203member
    Reminds me of my SE. I think I will boot it up tonight!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Do not download! Do not run! It causes major repetitive kernel panics! I had to repartition!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    WTF are you talking about, Agent Macintosh? I had no problems viewing that page on my Mac at home.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

WTF are you talking about, Agent Macintosh? I had no problems viewing that page on my Mac at home.

At the end of the article it has links to download vMac and the associated ROM and System files. I assume that Agent Macintosh is talking about that.

Boy, I do miss the old look.

Back when computing was fun, exciting, and everything was new.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    vMac works perfectly fine. I suspect Agent's problems actually lied elsewhere.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

[...]

Boy, I do miss the old look.

Back when computing was fun, exciting, and everything was new.

It certainly takes me back to the first computers I worked on. But, aside from general nostalgia for those days, I have to admit that computing is so much better now. Computers were not nearly as useful back then, nor were they as pleasurable to use. Among many other problems, that bomb with the lit fuse was a constant visitor. And even from the excitement point of view, my ?thrills? back then were tempered by the all-to-obvious limitations of the systems. I am more excited now by the capabilities, and by the future possibilities.

Sure I would like to be twenty years old again ? as I was back in ?84 ? but let me keep my OS X.