*CONFIRMED* IBM releases Power5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
from Macrumors:

The eServer i5 systems are powered by IBM's next-generation POWER5 microprocessor, the most advanced 64-bit chip in the world. POWER5 features an impressive 276 million transistors per processor, and is manufactured with IBM's 0.13-micron copper wiring and SOI (Silicon-on-Insulator) technologies. In addition to providing communications acceleration and chip multiprocessing, POWER5 offers simultaneous multithreading (SMT), which transforms a single processor into two processors, essentially allowing the chip to run two applications at the same time and reducing the time it requires to complete a task

Interesting news!

WIll this hurt xServe G5 sales?

EDIT: nevermind about hurting xserve sales--I just noticed the price tag on IBM's machine.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    at what speeds can you get those POWER5 ?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

from Macrumors:

The eServer i5 systems are powered by IBM's next-generation POWER5 microprocessor, the most advanced 64-bit chip in the world. POWER5 features an impressive 276 million transistors per processor, and is manufactured with IBM's 0.13-micron copper wiring and SOI (Silicon-on-Insulator) technologies. In addition to providing communications acceleration and chip multiprocessing, POWER5 offers simultaneous multithreading (SMT), which transforms a single processor into two processors, essentially allowing the chip to run two applications at the same time and reducing the time it requires to complete a task

Interesting news!

WIll this hurt xServe G5 sales?

EDIT: nevermind about hurting xserve sales--I just noticed the price tag on IBM's machine.

Apple's and IBM POWER5 servers are directed at two different markets..
  • Reply 3 of 4
    chaserchaser Posts: 63member
    So will these chips appear in the PowerMac rev b's? Or do you think they will?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    silentechoessilentechoes Posts: 288member
    Quote:

So will these chips appear in the PowerMac rev b's? Or do you think they will?

Nope. I think its a safe bet to say that we will never see a power5 in an Apple computer.

What we might see is some trickle down version of the power5. In-fact I think THAT is a pretty safe bet.