How do you take your coffee?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    nebulousnebulous Posts: 193member
    I'm more of a tea girl, but since coming to college, coffee has been a staple of my existence. In my opinion, coffee is awesome almost any way that it is prepared - I'm not too picky here. Any of the below works for me:

-Hot and black

-With a cube of brown sugar and a splash of milk

-As a mocha

-Black, with a dash of flavoring (vanilla or caramel, preferably)

-Turkish (this cafe around town sells Turkish coffee: HOT, spiced, and with the grounds coating the bottom of the pot like a thick tar. My friends and I dare each other to eat the grounds all the time, and boy is that an experience. It makes you jittery for the entire night... good if you've got a lot of homework though.)

-Unground, and smothered in chocolate (mmmmm... chocolate covered espresso beans were my morning fuel throughout senior year)

One of my friends only takes coffee with maple syrup in it, a secret he discovered at Denny's. This doesn't sound too enticing to me, but he swears by it.
  • Reply 42 of 76
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebulous

I'm more of a tea girl, but since coming to college, coffee has been a staple of my existence. In my opinion, coffee is awesome almost any way that it is prepared - I'm not too picky here. Any of the below works for me:

-Hot and black

-With a cube of brown sugar and a splash of milk

-As a mocha

-Black, with a dash of flavoring (vanilla or caramel, preferably)

-Turkish (this cafe around town sells Turkish coffee: HOT, spiced, and with the grounds coating the bottom of the pot like a thick tar. My friends and I dare each other to eat the grounds all the time, and boy is that an experience. It makes you jittery for the entire night... good if you've got a lot of homework though.)

-Unground, and smothered in chocolate (mmmmm... chocolate covered espresso beans were my morning fuel throughout senior year)

One of my friends only takes coffee with maple syrup in it, a secret he discovered at Denny's. This doesn't sound too enticing to me, but he swears by it.

The first time I had Turkish Coffeee was when I was stationed in Bahrain. Wow, some strong stuff there!!! I got the little shot of coffee and gave it a sip. I ordered a pot of hot water and a large coffe cup so I could dillute the turkish coffee. Eventually I got used to it.

My wife and I went out for Middle Eastern food a couple of weeks a go and I ordered some Turkish coffee. She did as well against my advice... I had two cups of coffee to drink after she took her first sip.

Am I the only person who enjoys Thai coffee. For those who don't know its a strong coffee served with condensed milk. You get a coffe cup with a small coffee brewer on top. The brewer is placed on a cup with a thin layer of condensed milk, filled with H2O, and grounds thus producing fresh coffee while you eat you meal. Mmmm good stuff.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    nebulousnebulous Posts: 193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by faust9

Am I the only person who enjoys Thai coffee. For those who don't know its a strong coffee served with condensed milk. You get a coffe cup with a small coffee brewer on top. The brewer is placed on a cup with a thin layer of condensed milk, filled with H2O, and grounds thus producing fresh coffee while you eat you meal. Mmmm good stuff.

I ADORE Thai coffee, although I prefer Thai iced tea. Not being able to go out for Thai food all that often makes me forget just how much I love that beverage though. There's a Thai restaurant near my house that makes the perfect cup of Thai iced tea, and they refill it for free. Mmmm
  • Reply 44 of 76
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Oh my, yes. Thai coffee is wonderful, and Turkish is to die for... black, thick, sweet.

I also like sipping espresso through a sugar cube at times.
  • Reply 45 of 76
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

Just a splash of milk and 3 cigarettes per cup. Can't have a cup of coffee without a smoke.

I've never developed a taste for coffee. I used to try once in a while to see if my taste had changed, but at 41 I probably haven't given coffee another try in over a decade. Just don't like the stuff.

My dislike for coffee, however, is nothing like my loathing of cigarettes. Seeing people do both together makes me shudder. It's even worse when I think about this as being what some people do first thing in the morning. Uuggghhh!

It's like the diametric opposite of waking up to fresh air and sunshine. To me, it seems like a breakfast of coffee and cigarettes would be like waking up to a dark, dreary morning just to be emersed in thick, brown, bitter, clogging, choking vapors and fluids that fill your lungs and your guts with poisoness oppression...

Okay, a little overly dramatic ...but still something akin to how the idea of this particular morning combo grosses me out.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    zarathustrazarathustra Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Jubelum

_ _

I like my coffee black. Sometimes there is even water in it.

Yes, yes, yes!

Ristretto - hold that goddam water!
  • Reply 47 of 76
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Haha. I grew up on Turkish coffee. Fun to read about it. My dad is Armenian, and chugs the stuff. Honestly, it's easier to make than espresso, and tastes just as good.

A hidden secret. . . tell the guys at the shop to grind it for Turkish. Then all you have to do is buy a turkish-style pot and boil water on the grinds. Let it boil up, then settle, then boil up again. then it's done.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    When it has to be coffee (usually when there's nothing else available), then I like it with lots of milk and sugar, thanks.

But I'm more of a tea guy though. Ahhh... Black Tea, Peppermint Tea, etc etc... I have many different kinds of tea at home... ah... I want to go home... NOW!! Just thinking about the delicious tea some friendly american guy sent me makes me drool!

8)
  • Reply 49 of 76
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    neø, why is your post count ever decreasing?
  • Reply 50 of 76
    kneelbeforezodkneelbeforezod Posts: 1,120member
    Very strong (with a shot of espresso if it's from a chain...they never make it strong enough) with just a drop of milk. If I'm just having espresso it's gotta be a doppio with one sugar and no milk.

I love coffee. We're probably going to get married soon.
  • Reply 51 of 76
    podmatepodmate Posts: 183member
    I like mine from the red can with the white swish on the side, oh wait, thats Coke, nevermind.

I absolutely love the smell of coffee, its like an aphrodisiac, but the taste of coffee makes me want to heave.
  • Reply 52 of 76
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    Cream and sugar. I used to drink it black, but am starting to wuss out as I get older.

I actually hate the taste of coffee, but am addicted to the caffine. Since I don't drink coffee for the taste, I can stand drinking almost anything from freeze dried crud to fresh ground beans.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

To me, it seems like a breakfast of coffee and cigarettes would be like waking up to a dark, dreary morning just to be emersed in thick, brown, bitter, clogging, choking vapors and fluids that fill your lungs and your guts with poisoness oppression...

Sounds like my years living in the East Village in the 80's. I used to have 2 Lucky Strikes and a cuppa before I could face the world....

Now it's a wheatgrass juice before driving to work in my special hat that keeps out the Alpha rays. You never get old that way, I heard.
  • Reply 54 of 76
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Protein coffee, some packets of this junk my mom has for her diet. You empty the packet into cup, add 8 oz of water, heat, and enjoy. French Vanilla with 5 grams of carbs and 15 grams of protein and no sugar...but somehow it's delicious.
  • Reply 55 of 76
    ACK! That sounds like General Mills International Flavors 'coffee'... never been *near* a bean, AFAICT.
  • Reply 56 of 76
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

ACK! That sounds like General Mills International Flavors 'coffee'... never been *near* a bean, AFAICT.

Which brings up the atrocity of "flavored coffees" in general. For a while there folks back in 'Bama had apparently decided that "french vanilla" and "hazelnut" infected coffees were sophisticated, or something.

That was around the time I started bringing my own beans on the plane with me...
  • Reply 57 of 76
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I've never developed a taste for coffee. I used to try once in a while to see if my taste had changed, but at 41 I probably haven't given coffee another try in over a decade. Just don't like the stuff.

My dislike for coffee, however, is nothing like my loathing of cigarettes. Seeing people do both together makes me shudder. It's even worse when I think about this as being what some people do first thing in the morning. Uuggghhh!

It's like the diametric opposite of waking up to fresh air and sunshine. To me, it seems like a breakfast of coffee and cigarettes would be like waking up to a dark, dreary morning just to be emersed in thick, brown, bitter, clogging, choking vapors and fluids that fill your lungs and your guts with poisoness oppression...

Okay, a little overly dramatic ...but still something akin to how the idea of this particular morning combo grosses me out.

Pssssst....Shetline......it's the drugs.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    On the hoof. The blood needs to get pumping for optimal caffine distribution.
  • Reply 59 of 76
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Some good memories about mornings and coffee:

I used to rent this beach cottage in Oregon that was listed as "rustic" in the ads. It had wrap-around windows with no curtains/blinds/shades, a wrap-around deck, and was surrounded by the most glorious jungle of plants and trees - a profusion of vegetation that I just loved. Total privacy from foliage, even without window coverings.

I would get up in the morning and it was chilly inside, foggy outside. I put on the coffee pot, turned on the little space heater, turned on the TV to the morning news shows, and started to cook breakfast.

If I did *ALL* these things at once, the circuit breaker would flip; so then I basically had to go break into the landlord's shed, which was part of her house, to get to the breaker box. Every morning was a decision about which of the above electrical activities I could live without so the circuit breaker wouldn't go. Never the coffee, though. Couldn't live without that.

I would take a huge mug, that contained the entire pot's worth of coffee, walk down the path through the trees in my heavy lounging robe, with my samoyed (dog), and sit on the step with her, watching the waves, listening to the gulls, and checking out the seal that swam through the surfline every day to visit us.

When I didn't have the TV, I never even knew what day of the week it was. I would stay three weeks and lose all track of time. It was an idyllic existence. I long for those days in that rustic little beach cottage...drinking great coffee on those chilled foggy mornings.

Sorry. Just couldn't help the nostalgia.
  • Reply 60 of 76
    Dammit, I want the location and phone number to reserve!