PDA question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm researching a paper for handheld use in the classroom.

What I'm trying to find out is if any of the available PDAs allow you to have administrator control over them over a network.

Ideally, I would liike to find a system where a teacher can limit what their students can use on their PDA's during class time and automatically up and download files.

Does such a system exist?

Hell, not owning a PDA, can someone with one tell me if it's even possible to set one up with different accounts (user and admin)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    phroggyphroggy Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

I'm researching a paper for handheld use in the classroom.

What I'm trying to find out is if any of the available PDAs allow you to have administrator control over them over a network.

Ideally, I would liike to find a system where a teacher can limit what their students can use on their PDA's during class time and automatically up and download files. ...

Although I've never heard of any PDA that's used for what you suggest, maybe Sharp's Zaurus could do what you're thinking of?

IIRC, it runs linux and more recent ones (SL-6000) have wifi. I don't see why one couldn't be set up to serve SSH/FTP to allow remote administration and file propagation.

Downside is It's a bit pricey for educational use (~$700 US).
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Phroggy

Although I've never heard of any PDA that's used for what you suggest, maybe Sharp's Zaurus could do what you're thinking of?

IIRC, it runs linux and more recent ones (SL-6000) have wifi. I don't see why one couldn't be set up to serve SSH/FTP to allow remote administration and file propagation.

Downside is It's a bit pricey for educational use (~$700 US).

Thanks for the info. As for doing the remote administration, I didn't make this clear, but the server can actually be a desktop or something. The main thing is that the PDAs can be configured to obey the server and limit user privelages.

Also, another big missing piece of software is some sort of keystroke recorder so a teacher could watch for cheating.

I like the new Zaurus, I just hope it can run enough aps.