Next revision of the Powerbook/iBook?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    sh0ewaxsh0ewax Posts: 114member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Or how about pop-out wheels on one corner, with a handle so you could pull it behind you.

I imagine that if they built in some sort of "legs" it would make quite the effective table aswell, you could eat your breakfast on in in bed. Seriously tho, if you want something that big and impractical, seems like you needa Powermac, not Powerbook.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    solerosolero Posts: 30member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sh0eWax

it would make quite the effective table aswell, you could eat your breakfast on in in bed.

And maybe cook a couple of eggs on the powerbooks. Well this wouldn't be a new "feature", you could already do this on powerbook 12" rev. A
  • Reply 23 of 30
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

I'm so tired of people saying that. Of course he doesn't need a faster computer, in fact, no one needs a computer at all (it is not integral to survival). We just want computers, and there is nothing wrong with wanting a G5 powerbook.

Truthfully, it is going to take a long time before any computer company comes out with a laptop computer that will really satisfy my "wants." Maybe in an other decade or two. Until then I'll just keep up grading every couple of years to the fastest computer I can afford.

Right now I'm trying to deiced whether to hold out for a G5 powerbook or get one of the just updated one. It is a tough decision: the new powerbooks are twice as powerful as my current 800MHz G4 Ti powerbook, but not really quite fast enough for some of the recording projects I want to do.

Ive been echoing these sentiments, despite the invariable flame for being a spec whore?, hell I just want a faster machine for even the most mundane tasks?.

If you have a 800/867 PB, I suppose a 1.5G doesnt inspire like a 2G, which is the reason ive upgraded from a Ti400 - I needed a reasonable amount of speed improvememt to justify the cost.

Since the Centrino's will be shipping within 2 months at 2G - I would say Apple will definately need to update again come MWSF - even if its still G4 - thats fine it just needs to be somewhere close or preferrably at 2G (by then the Centrino will be beyond 2G).

My point is that Apple will need to demonstrate that it can compete on the value proposition if it intends to increase its market share.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    sh0ewaxsh0ewax Posts: 114member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hasapi

Since the Centrino's will be shipping within 2 months at 2G - I would say Apple will definately need to update again come MWSF - even if its still G4 - thats fine it just needs to be somewhere close or preferrably at 2G (by then the Centrino will be beyond 2G).

My point is that Apple will need to demonstrate that it can compete on the value proposition if it intends to increase its market share.

That is a very acceptable opinion, given that it is supported, but one cannot expect complete understanding when all that is asked is perhaps the most common newbie question, "when will the powerbooks be updated?"
  • Reply 25 of 30
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sh0eWax

That is a very acceptable opinion, given that it is supported, but one cannot expect complete understanding when all that is asked is perhaps the most common newbie question, "when will the powerbooks be updated?"

This has already been covered by Messiahtosh "We will get updates in late September, that's my guess...or possibly by early January (MacWorld San Fran)".

MWSF is a safe bet, anything earlier is just a possibilty see also Buyers Guide

My comments reflected on the evolving nature of the thread, hope this helps.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hasapi

Since the Centrino's will be shipping within 2 months at 2G

You do know that Intel makes the Pentium M (M as in Mobile) as the processor within the Centrino technology. Centrino isn't a chip but a group of technologies (CPU, Video/Memory Chipset and Network) that work together. At least that is the marketing jibe. It's also pretty much just a bunch of babble to sell shit. And it ain't working that great anyway.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    tphsstphss Posts: 9member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

You do know that Intel makes the Pentium M (M as in Mobile) as the processor within the Centrino technology. Centrino isn't a chip but a group of technologies (CPU, Video/Memory Chipset and Network) that work together. At least that is the marketing jibe. It's also pretty much just a bunch of babble to sell shit.

The Centrino is suppose to consume a much lower amount of power then the Pentium-4M isn't it? that was the idea of combining various technologies to one no?

I heard pretty good reviews about it, although I haven't had any personal experience (I don't consider few minutes as enough time to see how good or bad it is).
  • Reply 28 of 30
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tphss

The Centrino is suppose to consume a much lower amount of power then the Pentium-4M isn't it? that was the idea of combining various technologies to one no?

I heard pretty good reviews about it, although I haven't had any personal experience (I don't consider few minutes as enough time to see how good or bad it is).

In theory the design is supposed to have better performance, due to the 855 chipset being a faster design, and also to give better battery life, due to the Pentium M Speedstep thingy that lowers the current GHz rating down to 1.1 or something. To be honest, I don't see a whole lot of improvement or benefit - it's the typical Intel BM (bs machine) at work.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Or how about pop-out wheels on one corner, with a handle so you could pull it behind you.

I had considered putting wheels on both ends and letting people use them as skateboards. Of course they would need a bit of structural "beefing up" but hey, what better way to get around campus?

Can you imagine opening a a 20" PowerBook on a plane? (Of course if you could afford a 20" PowerBook you wouldn't be flying coach now )
  • Reply 30 of 30
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Centrino isn't a chip but a group of technologies (CPU, Video/Memory Chipset and Network) that work together. At least that is the marketing jibe. It's also pretty much just a bunch of babble to sell shit. And it ain't working that great anyway.

Care to share your reason(s) why the Centrinos aren't working that great, and the hardware is shit? Test results show consistently better battery times and processing power on Centrinos.