Trying to Install Rhapsody DR2

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey all.

I have been trying to to get a system running Rhapsody DR2 for many years (on and off). I few years ago I acquired a full disk image of DR2 (as in not just the Mac OS Classic partition). A year or two ago, I found a good deal on a beige G3 tower to install DR2 on.

Now here is my problem... When attempting to install: It boots and the Rhapsody splash screen displays. 10 seconds later, it drops into a red screen stating:

Rhapsody Kernel Loader

?no dev

EXIT

What am I doing wrong?? If I type boot, it says "boot CLAIM failed".

Any ideas? Thanks!

P.S. Does anyone have a disk image of an already installed system?

Is there a way that I can mount the Rhapsody UFS file system on a Mac OS X 10.3.3 system?

Oh and one more question... DR2 on VPC... The DR2 cd for mac doesn't also have the PC version too, right? I would need a PC version for a VPC install, correct?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    composercomposer Posts: 212member
    What? Where? Why? Huh? What? Hey! Who? How? What?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Very helpful, Composer.

bottleworks: Is it an original beige G3? What kind of hard-disk has it? Is it the original drive, or a new one? How is it formatted? How big is the drive? Are there any additional things installed?

• Reply 3 of 10
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    Just install OS Server 10.0 its the same thing
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

Just install OS Server 10.0 its the same thing

Umm, DR2 is far from 10.0. It's an orginal G3 tower with a 4 GB ultra SCSI HD. I have also tried installed on a standard SCSI HD with no luck. Same problem. It currently has a CD-RW installed in place of orginal CD-ROM. The same results are still produced with the orginal Cd drive.

If all else fails, I will install my copy of OSX Server 1.0. 1.0 still used that Rhapsody version of UFS, so I can interchange systems files and with luck, get a bootable copy of rhapsody.

Here is a screen shot of Rhapsody taken from an Apple internal document. I assume, these are from DR2, or is this from a newer version that never made it out of Apple?

• Reply 5 of 10
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Damn, I'd kill for an official Platinum appearance for Mac OS X.

Oh well, moving on...

(Please: Spare me links to ShapeShifter themes etc. Been there, done that. Nothing beats Official Apple code)
  • Reply 6 of 10
    ocelotocelot Posts: 3member
    I know! I hear ya! Aqua seems to never quite get there.

That screen in a screen thing is weird!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    You guys saying you'd like Platinum of Aqua. Crazy all of you.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Those screenshots from an Apple internal document... if they are actual screenshots and not just mockups (which is more likely) then they are definitely not from Rhapsody DR2. I installed the DR2 seed back when Apple shipped it to me, and it installed onto a 9500 with relative ease IIRC. DR 2 doesn't so much look like any of those screenshots, again, IIRC. It's been a while.

As for your issues installing, a lot of people had issues installing it. Most people at Apple were just shipped a hard drive with it pre-installed, and they dropped that into their system. This was pretty common. It's DR2 after all, and it was pretty finicky. If you have a beige G3, I don't think those shipped stock with internal SCSI drives. Put an IDE back in there and give it a go perhaps?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Those screenshots are, at best, from an early Rhapsody alpha build.

These are from the real dev builds:

From DR1:

File Manager (Desktop)

File Manager, Mail, and Preferences

Dev Tools

Terminal

Dev Tools

OmniWeb 3 Beta

From DR2: The UI is mostly the same, but there's an updated Finder in place and a Blue Box implementation.

File Viewer

Apple Menu (navite)

Apple Menu (under Blue Box aka. Classic)

Enjoy.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Oh well, that appears to be just like Mac OS X Server 1.0. I ran 1.0 as my main OS for almost 2 years when it first came out.... I liked it (didn't like the price tag :> ).

I just bought an 80 GB HD for this computer to replace its current 60 GB HD. Maybe I will put the 60 in the G3 and try installing again....

Thanks for everyone's help.