I hope this is the right place for an Appleworks question.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have looked and can't seem to come up with an answer.

Does AppleWorks support a clear color?

If not, why not?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I'm not sure about a transparent color but there is a transparent pattern.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

I'm not sure about a transparent color but there is a transparent pattern.

If I may.

What is a transparent pattern?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I think that is actual NO pattern instead of transparent.

What he is talking about is say you draw a rectangle. You can fill it with a color. Under the color icon on the side toolbox there is a pattern icon. When you select a color from the color panel, it changes the fill pattern from none to solid. You can go back into the pattern panel and change it back to none, which will leave the rectangle empty again,(it is to the left of the solid selection. You can also select other patterns so that your fill becomes say , red striped lines instead of solid red.

Hope that helps,

Nick
  • Reply 4 of 8
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    There is another treatment of transparency which I just learned about from the help message. In a paint document or in a paint window in a drawing you can select Paint Mode under the Option menu. Here you can select Opaque, Transparent or Tint.

Opaque causes newly painted items to cover objects underneath.

Transparent makes the white parts of objects transparent to items underneath. For example, if you choose a checkerboard pattern you choose the color of the dark squares but the white squares would show the underlying objects.

Tint mode makes all newly drawn items translucent.

There is one more way to deal with transparency. Choose one color in your drawing or paint document to be transparent. After completing the document save it as a GIF image. Now you can use another application such as Graphic Converter to change any one color to transparent. In applications that support this the selected areas of the graphic will show the underlying photograph, text, etc.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Thanks for the information, I have been playing with it now for awhile, but I am still not having much luck, but I did find out how to use the zoom feature. I was hoping to create a master painting with a detailed back ground and then create little add-in paintings, I was hoping that the white areas of these paintings, if all the settings were correct, would show through the background of the Master painting. But that does not seem to be the case, even when both are set to transparent painting mode.

If I missed something, please let me know.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

I have looked and can't seem to come up with an answer.

Does AppleWorks support a clear color?

If not, why not?

AppleWorks doesn't have a clear color, it uses a clear pattern instead. The transparency pattern button is found in the upper lefthand corner of the pattern palette.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

AppleWorks doesn't have a clear color, it uses a clear pattern instead. The transparency pattern button is found in the upper lefthand corner of the pattern palette.

I will try that, thankyou.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Well, I tried it, but but. It works in drawings, but does not work in paintings. It is also not transferable (adding a drawing with the clear pattern to a painting gives you white where clear should be. I will keep messing around with it to see if I can come up with a solution.