MacOSX "Riddled with security holes"

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is there any validity to the severity of these "holes"? Or is this just much ado about nothing.

Security Holes

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    It's pure FUD, being spread by an idiot with an agenda. Check out this quote....
    Quote:

In other words, it makes Microsoft's current Sasser problems look no more than a nasty nip. The difference of course is that Windows is the vast majority of the market and Macs account for only three percent of operating systems. There isn't a worm exploiting the holes as yet but the company is strongly advising users to download and install the patches as the OS looks like an easy target at the moment.

Saying that Apple's problems overshadow the Sasser problems is - well, just plain full of it. What exactly is the worm that is affecting Apple systems? (there is NONE) Has it affected a higher percentage of Macs, than Sasser's percentage of Windows machines? (NO, because there are NO reported exploits of the security weaknesses - just theoretical ones).

I'm going back to the article to look for feedback, or comments, or an email address. This is some of the most biased and inaccurate "reporting" I've seen in a while.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    It's utter BS. Click through to the Secunia articles and you find that of the five exploits they list as fixed (FIXED mind you...):

Two are from OSS packages Apple includes.

One is potentially more destructive than Apple lets on... but it IS fixed.

Two *AREN'T EVEN CONFIRMED*.

What a total load of crap.

Kieran is just looking for clicks. Ignore the troll.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

It's utter BS. Click through to the Secunia articles and you find that of the five exploits they list as fixed (FIXED mind you...):

Two are from OSS packages Apple includes.

One is potentially more destructive than Apple lets on... but it IS fixed.

Two *AREN'T EVEN CONFIRMED*.

What a total load of crap.

Kieran is just looking for clicks. Ignore the troll.

That's what I figured, but I don't know enough about the operating system to determine the severity.

It seems like it is just jealousy or fear that people may indeed switch as a result of these windows virus'. I know that there are some unhappy windows users around my office today waiting for the IT guy to come around to fix their comp while I work away on my Powerbook.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Exactly. I smell a paid MS PR spot.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Agreed. The AFP problem, which appears to be the most "critical" vulnerability, is patched... and Apple appears to have taken just about 5 weeks to patch it. Pretty good response from Apple.

As a sidenote, the news has filtered over to News.com:

http://news.com.com/2100-7355_3-5205...l?tag=nefd.top
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    You've been beaten to the punch by a few hours:

Mac Security and Chicken Little