So what are YOU going to run Longhorn on?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This just in:

"Microsoft is expected to recommend that the "average" Longhorn PC feature a dual-core CPU running at 4 to 6GHz; a minimum of 2 gigs of RAM; up to a terabyte of storage; a 1 Gbit, built-in, Ethernet-wired port and an 802.11g wireless link; and a graphics processor that runs three times faster than those on the market today."

so, who wants some Longhorn still?

read up on it here

so, think Longhorn is still going to be in direct competition with Apple's OS with these requirements?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I'll probably run in on a

Dual Core Athlon 64 running 3.6Ghz

2GB of RAM

8 Channel Audio

384 Graphics card

Gigabit ether banded together

PCI Express

18 USB ports

6 Firewire

Platinum case Modded out with live fish

20 fans and liquid cooling

That should be just for starters

• Reply 2 of 41
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Now there is a qustion. With all of those requirements, how are the pricing on those pc's? I don't think they will be the cheapest anymore. Simply people who want longhorn will have to buy a whole new computer. This is going to kill microsoft.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    homhom Posts: 1,098member

Yet Mac users will somehow find a way to bitch about Beige G3's no longer being supported.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Keep in mind that people are more likely to buy a new computer to run Longhorn than to run OSX. Unless PC's suddenly become more expensive, and I mean by a lot, than Mac's.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

Now there is a qustion. With all of those requirements, how are the pricing on those pc's? I don't think they will be the cheapest anymore. Simply people who want longhorn will have to buy a whole new computer. This is going to kill microsoft.

Well... while consumers will likely have to buy a new computer to get decent Longhorn performance, the specs aren't that out of the question in two years time. The 2GB of ram and video card requirements seem a bit high (and the video card requirement isn't so bad if they tier the graphics capabilities based on video like the initial Longhorn reports were a while back), but everything else seems to be about what technology would extrapolate to in a couple years.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    if longhorn keeps going at the rate it has been for years, the bargen 300$ pc will have a 10 ghz proc and 1.8 tb hdd with blue-laser dvd and 16 gigs of ram
  • Reply 7 of 41
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Well, I think this system will just about handle the minimal requirements for Longhorn:

12 2.2 Ghz AMD Athlons

2 TBs of storage

96 GBs of main memory

Ya think they could cut some of the bloat from Longhorn. WTF, this is a friggin OS!!!
  • Reply 8 of 41
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Holy smokes just think of the horsepower we're going to need to run VPC-Longhorn!
  • Reply 9 of 41
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Holy smokes just think of the horsepower we're going to need to run VPC-Longhorn!

dont worry, by longhorn release day, the g8 will be shipping.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    psgamer0921psgamer0921 Posts: 393member
    Well, by the time they actually come out! ( ) That might be the same price as a decently equipped computer right now
  • Reply 11 of 41
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Well my buddie has Longhorn (one of the builds, dont know which one) on his laptop. A after a fresh install, Longhorn eats up 508 megs of RAM. That's before you start any programs...

On the graphics side his laptop (Mobility Radeon 7500) could handle it... but that's only because it still uses the same graphical system as Windows XP. The new 3D graphical subsystem has yet to be incorporated with the Longhorn Alpha builds. His laptop's processor is only a P4 @ 1.6 Ghz and it ran smoothly. But then again a lot of the code has yet to be added...

I can't wait for longhorn, because it will help drop prices of PC parts due to mass demand/production.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    \\/ \\/ ickes made me think of something. If longhorn is going to require a 4-6 Ghz processor, at least 2 gb of ram, and a decent video card, how are they going to get it in a notebook? It would need like a cars raditator to keep it cool. I wouldn't of believed longhorns requirements if it asn't from microsoft website itself.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

\\/ \\/ ickes made me think of something. If longhorn is going to require a 4-6 Ghz processor, at least 2 tb of ram, and a decent video card, how are they going to get it in a notebook? It would need like a cars raditator to keep it cool. I wouldn't of believed longhorns requirements if it asn't from microsoft website itself.

Your post made me think of something. Like you said, it would need like a cars radiator to keep it cool. I wouldn't of believed it either. I don't think they're gonna be the cheapest PCs anymore. I mean my god, that's more RAM than my cousins computer, and he has like tons of it. If those prices are really high, microsoft is really going to be dead.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Murbot, what makes you think that MyCrowSoft has no power over other hardware companies? If they build longhorn like this, the hardware companies will do what it takes to support it... Hell Microsoft has already taken a big bite out of AMD potential income by holding back a consumer grade 64 bit windows.

When Microsoft yells jump, guess who says "how high?"?
  • Reply 15 of 41
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    it will linux's time to shine if they want those specs.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Anyone know how TRUE the specs are?

I am all for bashing M$, but wondering if their are more sources to confirm the requirements?
  • Reply 17 of 41
    hyperb0lehyperb0le Posts: 142member
    Sad thing is, with all the bloat thay're adding, it will probably take such extreme capabilities to get performance comparable to XP. I don't understand why Microsoft thinks everyone is going to buy a new PC just to run a new OS.

I know people who still use 350 MHz PCs and run XP on it. 90% of Windows users don't give a flying rat's behind what version of Windows they are running. Longhorn better provide some productivity enhancements alongside all this eyecandy (if you could call it that) they are putting in. These enhancements need to benefit the average Joe, not just the high-end professionals. If there isn't a major reason for people to upgrade, the majority of the people wont, and Microsoft can say goodbye to its profits.

Then again, by the time Longhorn comes out, we will probably be using holographic displays complete with Minority Report-style OS. :P
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Murbot, what makes you think that MyCrowSoft has no power over other hardware companies? If they build longhorn like this, the hardware companies will do what it takes to support it... Hell Microsoft has already taken a big bite out of AMD potential income by holding back a consumer grade 64 bit windows.

When Microsoft yells jump, guess who says "how high?"?

My mocking sarcasm meter was set higher than I thought! I'll tone it back before I post again. heh

• Reply 19 of 41
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

My mocking sarcasm meter was set higher than I thought! I'll tone it back before I post again. heh

You're too smart for us, murbot. Your wit sometimes fries our feeble minds. We are not worthy.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Wait a minute... I think my mocking sarcasm DETECTOR is going off now! Ha ha! I am smart! Wait, you're a shrink... I'm not getting into this with you.

Actually, it's got to be the laryngitis. I haven't been able to speak a word since this afternoon. Probably from my little shouting match yesterday, with a little cold/flu mixed in for good measure. I guess it's true what they say... when one of your senses is hampered, the others take up the slack. Except speech isn't a sense. But it's hard to make sense without speaking sometimes, so maybe that helps?

I don't know. I got nothin'.

You know, beer has not nothing on NyQuil.

'night everyone.