Who stole my post count?

neoneo
Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
I just wanted to ask, why my post count is lower than it used to be? I didn't know who to ask, so i'm asking everyone...

-Neø

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Around here, you have to earn your post count.
  • Reply 2 of 66
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Then I have one question. How can a person get a higher post count while his privleges revoked. Then answer that please.
  • Reply 3 of 66
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    You know, I don't really care what my post count is.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Here's why.

vBulletin has a post-counting bug. There's a script that runs now and then to help get a more accurate count. On top of this, posts in certain forums do not count towards one's post count, so the script does not include posts from them in the user's total.
  • Reply 5 of 66
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Will you two feel like grown-ups if you have higher post counts?

Wait, let me add something. I have watched both of these neophyte AI members clatter through forum after forum, thread after thread, like drunken sorority girls. I am officially protesting the continuing assault on the forums by children.

This is not a personal attack.

It is a request for behavioral modification.

Please don't whinge.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    This doesn't belong in AppleOutsider. Moving to Suggestions (you know, the place that is "For use in presenting us with feedback on the forums").

Keep asking and we may start *intentionally* dropping post counts.

See drewprops's reply. In addition, when your posts are deleted and the recount script is run, your post count drops accordingly. I think I should just disable the post counter display altogether...

quagmire: When your privileges are revoked, you can't post at all. Why would you expect anything to change?
  • Reply 7 of 66
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

Then I have one question. How can a person get a higher post count while his privleges revoked. Then answer that please.

Because Brad is CORUPT
  • Reply 8 of 66
    YaY!!!!! no postcounts!!!!!
  • Reply 9 of 66
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
  • Reply 10 of 66
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Buncha stupid whiners.

Not you guys in particular though!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Wait, where's my post count?

This place sucks! I'm starting my own forums.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Will you two feel like grown-ups if you have higher post counts?

Wait, let me add something. I have watched both of these neophyte AI members clatter through forum after forum, thread after thread, like drunken sorority girls. I am officially protesting the continuing assault on the forums by children.

This is not a personal attack.

It is a request for behavioral modification.

Please don't whinge.

I still sometimes have a suspicion that Neø is one of the regulars here having a bit of fun with us under a new identity.

If not, then - despite the occasional annoyance - I actually find her to be a pretty amusing and intelligent 13-year-old. With three kids, I am always reminded that childhood is not just a preparation for adulthood, but an important time of life in its own right. Kids can have interesting things to say. Of course, in the case of my youngest (2 yrs. old), it is "firetruck, firetruck, firetruck", which could get a bit tiresome if he were able to post.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neø

I just wanted to ask, why my post count is lower than it used to be? I didn't know who to ask, so i'm asking everyone...

-Neø

You are not your post count.

They go up, they go down.

It's JUST A NUMBER.

Go for it... fight for every single post, even the two word replies and replies to your own posts. Keep the faith ... n' .... crap.

Can someone give "her" 500 posts so that we can stop all this?

I offered "her" some of mine last week, but no dice.

Neø, we are so happy you are here. Even if you had 10 posts, we would not respect you any more or less. Some of the best people on this board have only a few hundred posts, but every one is QUALITY. Your worth is determined by your contribution, not your post count.

• Reply 13 of 66
    Quite right, Jubelum.

• Reply 14 of 66
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Quite right, Jubelum.

Note To Self: Don't mess with a man in the midst of sinus surgery.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    inactionmaninactionman Posts: 618member
    No post count rules! Date registered is a far more valid indicator to your involvement in this place. That and I'm Senior Member now so no one knows if I have 500 or 10000 posts. Wheeeeee!
  • Reply 16 of 66
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    November 2001, baby! How do you like them apples?

Though I have far less posts than many who've been here half the time, I'm proud of those that I have because I have stuck with this place through thick and thin. I have browsed and posted in every forum. I have seen the good and the bad. I returned triumphant with my fellow AIers after the "Great Blackout." I have been to the mountaintop!

My brothers and sisters, let us not be engulfed by the perceived necessity that we must raise our post count to puff ourselves up. We must raise the banner high that we will make every DAY that we are here the best we can, and post with dignity and honor.

We are now free from our post counts, my brothers and sisters! We are free from the status symbols that have divided us and conquered us, and made many of us feel like less than other members here. We are free. Free at last, free at last, thank Brad the Admin, we're free at last!!!

• Reply 17 of 66
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I think hiding the postcount is good. If you really need to find out, it is still in your profile, but I think this will cut down on a lot of the... well, you know. Thin out the posts so-to-speek. No more padding postcounts.
  • Reply 18 of 66
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    no more
  • Reply 19 of 66
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

no more

bogus double posts!
  • Reply 20 of 66
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

November 2001, baby! How do you like them apples?

Registered date also means as little as post count. I'm on my third or forth member name since I discovered AppleInsider 5 years ago. I personally don't care if post count is there or not... I've always felt that anyone who found status in online forums kind of sad. I'm not targeting you, CosmoNut... just found the quote relevant to the changes. The thing I find most interesting about this thread is.... Neo (the one who started this thread) was an up-and-coming post whore who only cared about status... and now..... \ I wonder if Neo will even post here again.