Treo 600 killer from Sony-Ericsson?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
http://www.mpx200.org/modules.php?op...rder=0&thold=0

Looks great for email communication although I can see some issue with holding the keyboard while typing. Hope that hinge will hold.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Seen this rumor floating around for 8 months now. There seems to be a real usage problem with having the QWERTY keyboard flip down like that. Not only would the hinge need to be strong enough to handle the phone, but provide a balance when holding it so it doesn't feel like it's going to topple over. Also, from my own personal testing flat keys, like these would have to be, are not as comfortable for thumb typing. It's my personal preference, but it seems like all thumb boards are rounded and domed to an extent.

A much more elegant solution would have the keyboard slide down horizontally from behind the screen. You would get a much larger keyboard and be able to handle the phone without it falling out of your hands. Think Nokia 9500, but without the flip.

I'm also not convinced that SE can and will continue to support the Symbian OS as Nokia now owns it. My bet is if there is a P1000 it will be the last Symbian based smart phone SE offers.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I don't know the internal politics with-in Sony but couldn't the Clie team and the SE team join up and creat a smartphone based on Palm?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

I don't know the internal politics with-in Sony but couldn't the Clie team and the SE team join up and creat a smartphone based on Palm?

One would like to think that, but sometimes the right hand doesn't talk to the left.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

I'm also not convinced that SE can and will continue to support the Symbian OS as Nokia now owns it. My bet is if there is a P1000 it will be the last Symbian based smart phone SE offers.

Nokia does not own Symbian. They tried to buy out one of the other consortium partners to gain a controlling interest. This triggered a mechanism in the shareholders agreement whereby other existing shareholders had options on these shares. Shareholding will remain, in percentage terms, around the same as they are now for the two major shareholders.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    internal communication at Sony is worse than external competition.

I shit you not.

Its one of those wonderful companies where there are buisness units SUING one another... within the same company. Nuts.

I've delt with them on various occasions for projects and its one. messed. up. company.

I once asked had to talk to the product manager of one of their productsfor a project we were doing together with my company. The lead project guy I had to deal with told me to ask at their offices in Milan. After a week of calling around to find this guy in Paris, to London, to Rome, to Milan, back to Rome, and finally back to Paris... the guy I was trying to get in touch with was NEXT DOOR to the guy I started talking to!!!! One of my best friends works at Sony Vaio and he tells me plenty of other unbelievable stories as well.

Its a REALLY uncoordinated country.

so... in conclusion: dont even THINK about Clie and SE working together.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

Nokia does not own Symbian. They tried to buy out one of the other consortium partners to gain a controlling interest. This triggered a mechanism in the shareholders agreement whereby other existing shareholders had options on these shares. Shareholding will remain, in percentage terms, around the same as they are now for the two major shareholders.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.

Just glad that your NDA doesn't cover laying the smack down once in a while.