PC user who's switching tomorrow after work! need help

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
What are the basics i need to know?

i have 3 pc's at home, and a netgear wireless router. how would i even find the settings for the airport extreme that comes with my powerbook? (12 incher by the way )

I have a microsoft usb mouse (little one for my old laptop). when i plug it in using winxp, it auto installed and was good to go in about 3 seconds or less. how will apple handle it. will it recognize the scroll wheel? what will the rightclick do? how do i set mouse speeds? augh .. everyone says mac's are easier than windows .. and from what i hear (uninstalling programs in osX vs Winxp) it seems to be true. it's the little things i dont know how to do, and it's the little things that'll make me feel all useless *sigh*.

one last thing .. this one i've never heard come up ... how do i defrag the harddrive?

thanks for your help

in this forum, will i be able to see all the forums i posted in, or not? if not, can u guys pm me so i can read the messages? thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Just relax, take one thing at a time. By tomorrow night most of the questions will be answered.

Might want to re-ask the questions in a numbered list, for the convenience of those helping you.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by avalon409

Breathe.

Quote:

i have 3 pc's at home, and a netgear wireless router. how would i even find the settings for the airport extreme that comes with my powerbook? (12 incher by the way )

The initial setup (kind of like a wizard) will let you enter in the initial network settings. Should look like the same info you'd enter for one of your PCs. If you have DHCP set up on your netgear, use that for the easiest way to get going.

Quote:

I have a microsoft usb mouse (little one for my old laptop). when i plug it in using winxp, it auto installed and was good to go in about 3 seconds or less. how will apple handle it.

Flawlessly.

Quote:

will it recognize the scroll wheel?

Yup, it should.

Quote:

what will the rightclick do?

Bring up a contextual menu, just like under Windows. (The usual way of doing this is to hold down the control key and click - you'll see this as control-click in documentation.)

Quote:

how do i set mouse speeds? augh .. everyone says mac's are easier than windows .. and from what i hear (uninstalling programs in osX vs Winxp) it seems to be true. it's the little things i dont know how to do, and it's the little things that'll make me feel all useless *sigh*.

Go to the Apple Menu (top left), and select System Preferences. This brings up the suite of controls for various things - you'll notice that the second line from the top, 'Hardware', has one called 'Keyboard & Mouse'. Click on it, and it'll give you a panel from which to set things to your heart's desire.

The basic thing to remember about learning the Mac is... "What would make *sense*?" and then try it. 99% of the time you'll be right.

Quote:

one last thing .. this one i've never heard come up ... how do i defrag the harddrive?

You don't. MacOS X does it on the fly, on its own.

Cheers!
  • Reply 3 of 44
    avalon409avalon409 Posts: 12member
    auto defrag? sweet.

apple menu - system preferences = control panel? sweet

using os X = what makes sense, try to figure out what's sensible .. may be hard to do .. window's has me programmed, it's the senseless that's intuitive ... for now.

thanks for the insanely fast responses. what started out as a cheapy g3 800mhz rev b ibook, is turning into a rev c powerbook 12" with 768 ram (crucial ram, thanks to this forum) and enough protective accessories to keep it safe til my warrantee is abount to run out. then i guess i'll tack on 2 more years. all told this thing's gotten expensive FAST! but if i'm gonna switch, might as well do it right the first time

thanks for all your help, it's almost embarassing to say os X is a little scary at the moment

hope i'm all 8) 24 hours from now.

praying for good screens, no white marks, no defective hardware etc etc etc.

wait, a few more questions, if u guys dont mind too much..

1) do i install ram with the laptop powered on or plugged in? or neither? as in unplug laptop, remove battery (as well?).

2) would it be ok to install said ram, after the introductory setup?

3) is there a trick to setting up / calibrating the battery (lots of posts about a proper way to do it so it wont heat up or battery life wont die as fast)

thanks bunches .. u guys are lifesavers
  • Reply 4 of 44
    4) are there privacy settings, ( like xp has individual user accounts with a password ) so my brother wont tinker with my laptop when i'm gone? Thanks .. i'm literally a newbie when it comes to apples\
  • Reply 5 of 44
    Quote:

1) do i install ram with the laptop powered on or plugged in? or neither? as in unplug laptop, remove battery (as well?).

Definitely off, battery out, ideally unplugged. In fact, on any computer that is the case. And be mindful of static discharge. Touch the metal first, then pick up the RAM and don't move around much while adding it. (Anyone see that Static shock skit on Mad TV? In the wool sweater shop? ) Be a shame to screw up your RAM.

Quote:

Sure. When you reboot, you'll Just Have More RAM as long as you seated it properly. Make it snug but don't break it. Have you added RAM before? Are you familiar with RAM slots? Ask first.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    yup, managed to build my current pc without much fuss, dropping the processor into the board n what not, i assume it's the same with laptop (power off, ground self, plug in, replace plate, boot up)

but i can never be sure...

powerbooks .. truly an exotic and beautiful breed to the eyes of a pc user.

do i need any special screwdriver to open the case? if so, do apple stores carry 'em (i assume they wouldnt give users the idea to open up their laptops ...)

thanks again
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Quote:

4) are there privacy settings, (like xp has individual user accounts with a password ) so my brother wont tinker with my laptop when i'm gone?

DEFINITELY.

Mac OS X is a true multi-user system. (Compared to the older Mac OSes you might be familiar with).

It will be self explanatory during setup. You will be the main admin user. You can later set up other users with equal or lesser privileges.

Each user's home folder's contents is hidden from the other users. Each user can customize their environment/preferences and it doesn't effect the other users (unless you do something that is global in nature, which admins can do).

Applications are stored either at the top level (available to all users) or inside each user's folder (which you wouldn't want to do normally, but you can).

Assuming you have Panther, the best part is Fast User Switching. You'll be able to keep everything running w/docs open and be able to let another user switch into their account. When they are done you can switch back to yours and everything is as you left it (some minor caveats).

Apple Menu: System Preferences: Accounts: Login Options: [ ] Enable Fast User Switching

You'll have a global menubar item with your username. Choose it then Login Window and it will rotate the screen with a cube effect and let the other person login.

If you are truly paranoid (just kidding) you can set up FileVault. It turns your home folder into an encrypted disk image which means that even if someone pulled out your hard drive and mounted it on another system (which normally will let them see all the files) they will not be able to see your files. Not in a few billion years anyway.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Don't be afraid, be excited. =)

Quote:

3) is there a trick to setting up / calibrating the battery (lots of posts about a proper way to do it so it wont heat up or battery life wont die as fast)

Calibrating? Well, not so much calibrating.. I have heard that running the battery dead and then charging it up all the way a few times will help it hold it's charge longer.. But it has never made a difference for me.

If you want longer battery life, you can jump into the handy System Preferences and select the "Energy Saver" pane. In there, you can configure such things as.. Computer / display / hard drive sleep schedules, Start-up and shut-down schedules, and (most important) the processor performance setting. You have three options: Automatic, Highest, and Reduced.

Obviously the harder it works, the more battery life it sucks up.

Quote:

[B]4) are there privacy settings, ( like xp has individual user accounts with a password ) so my brother wont tinker with my laptop when i'm gone? Thanks .. i'm literally a newbie when it comes to apples

Heh um.. Yep. =) OSX is a true multi-user system, with independent preferences, folders, files, desktops, etc, etc. And with the wonder of Fast User Switching, it should make it even easier to share your computer with little or no worries. =)

Hmm.. I am on a 12" Powerbook at the moment (which isn't mine), and it seems that all you would need to add ram is a REEALLY teeny phillips-head screwdriver.

Security

Fast User Switching

- Xidius
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Quote:

do i need any special screwdriver to open the case? if so, do apple stores carry 'em (i assume they wouldnt give users the idea to open up their laptops ...)

No experience with PB RAM install but a MacIntouch post says this:

"Adding RAM: The plate covering the RAM depository is a tad lame, considering the elegant battery retention mechanism right next to it. To access RAM you remove 4 teensy screws; the doc specifies an 00 Phillips. In other words, a jeweler's screwdriver. Use a top-notch hardened tool or something will get buggered. The screws are Loc-tited!

Upon opening the RAM portal, don't drop a screw in there. To retrieve it you may have to unscrew 18 more teeny Phillips, plus 2 teeny (and sadly non-Torx) Allens, thus indulging in the latest expression of Apple's fondness for Chinese-puzzlebox style assembly." (source)

But I can't vouch for what it entails. I can vouch that a good quality jeweler's screwdriver is invaluable.

I've taken my iBook apart to add a new drive and I suggest putting it up on a few thick books so that you can unscrew from below and let the screws fall down to the table, rather than having it face up and risking the screw slipping and falling inside. Like you're working under a car on a lift. Flip it over when done unscrewing. Flip it back when re-screwing. But that's just my preference.

I doubt adding RAM will take much effort. Just don't rush. And ask or Google if you have questions.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

4) are there privacy settings, ( like xp has individual user accounts with a password ) so my brother wont tinker with my laptop when i'm gone? Thanks .. i'm literally a newbie when it comes to apples\

sure, go to pref. panel as kickaha has described. you will notice "users", there you are.

I.e. you can set one particular account (probably your own) to log in either automaticaly, OR to log in with asking for password . Any given usr acc. is protected with its own password. Figure it out.

Macos X is a dedicated multiuser system. BTW, check fast user switching, it is pure fun.

And one advice: If you create a (new ) account, be sure you are happy with the "shortname". Because this name will represent your user directory and this particular name is tricky to change. Anything else works - more or less - as you would think it should work;-)

best and welcome to AI
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Good advice on the short name thing.

John Q Public becomes johnqpublic when I really want just johnq.

"Short name" auto fills the field after you enter the long name.

Unfortunately it rarely will enter in anything you'd want to actually use.

I suggest make it really short, so if it is used elsewhere (like in commandline prompt or home folder name) it will not take up too much space.

But like Vox said, if you don't catch it right then, at setup, it's hard to change (although not impossible).
  • Reply 12 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

The basic thing to remember about learning the Mac is... "What would make *sense*?" and then try it. 99% of the time you'll be right.

Totally agreed. And i would go further, i 'd say 99.5%.

With only one exception. If you are unhappy with your shortname and want to change it, than you might have a little problem.

I recently created an usr account for a friend of mine. He is merely a bit familiar with osX. I also should mention he is a classic lover indeed. Well, he played arround a bit, than he suddenly decided to change the home folders name. To my surprise it was possible to mark the home folder AND to type in a different name. Astounding, well. Afterward he logged out, i logged in. He logged in again - actually, he found his home folder (with original name) AND a folder titled with the name he gave before. Odd.

Apple should lock this folder by default. No one should be able to rename user directory folder in the finder.

best
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

"Short name" auto fills the field after you enter the long name.

"auto fill" should be disabled by default immediately!!! Just because newbees don't think about that, they all think it is just ok, what apples assistent tells them, but then wailing starts...

Quote:

Unfortunately it rarely will enter in anything you'd want to actually use.

Solution: keep the space empty by default, so the user is urged to type in something meaningful

Btw, i told that issue apple, but they don't listen to me well...

best
  • Reply 14 of 44
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    Quote:

You may want to have a look at the official Apple Customer Installable Parts instructions for RAM for the 12" Powerbooks, here
  • Reply 15 of 44
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Re: RAM installation and battery calibration, do what *no one* does... read the manual. C'mon, it's short, and it'll take five minutes. It hits on both items, as well as other goodies regarding the care and feeding of your hardware.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

i have 3 pc's at home, and a netgear wireless router. how would i even find the settings for the airport extreme that comes with my powerbook? (12 incher by the way)

I have a microsoft usb mouse (little one for my old laptop). when i plug it in using winxp, it auto installed and was good to go in about 3 seconds or less. how will apple handle it?

I have both a netgear wireless router and a MS usb mouse. Both work with zero Mac specific configuration.

Plug in the mouse... and blammo! It works even without some stupid wizard.

With DHCP enabled on the netgear, you shouldn't have to enter any network settings. The first run setup assistant will let you choose from a list of available wireless networks. If your netgear is configured to only talk to certain ethernet devices, you'll have to add your Macintosh to it's list via the netgear's web based configuration interface. You can find the MAC address ##:##:##:##:## in the System preferences under Networking.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Apple support pages are your friend... full of handy info.

http://www.apple.com/support/powerbook/

Although your new PB will come with its own manual, if you want to view it ahead of time click on the PDF link in the right column. There's a detailed explanation of adding ram in it.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    don't be disheartened if you feel a little useless for a while. going from windows, it will take a couple months of regular use and then everything will be second nature. make sure you learn the key commands. here are some common ones. oh, command is the key with an apple and clover looking thing on it. i like to call it apple (or "open apple" haha), but most of the mac-heads prefer command, so i'll use that

command + w: close window

command + q: quit program

---side note: closing a window and quitting a program are not one in the same as they are in Microsoft Windows----

command + tab: cycle between open programs (should be familiar)

command + ~ : cycle between open windows within a program (equivalant to ctrl + tab in windows)

command + m: minimize window to dock

command + n: new finder window

command + shift + n: new folder

command + l: create alias (Microsoft "shortcut")

command + left: move to beginning of line when entering text (like MS "home)

command + right: move to end of line when entering text (like MS "end")

home: move to beginning of document

end: move to end of document

then there are the old command + s (save), etc, that should be familiar from windows. in all the context menus, the key commands will be marked. the up arrow you will see on occassion means the shift key. the weird looking tilted Z with a dash means option.

hope this helps. even if it doesn't, it was fun to type
  • Reply 19 of 44
    thanks for the warm welcome, you guys make a pc user feel right at home =) .. actually .. more so . no time to read the pdf, after class and work, i'm off to the gym (buddy of mine wants to work out before i get my laptop .. i'm about an hour and a half away from my powerbook you guys are lifesavers and are great reassurances on the software side ... i've read one too many forums on warping powerboko cases, busted keyboards, dead pixel screens, crappy viewing angle on the 12, dim, hot, etc etc ... some saying it takes 2 returns before their purchase came out ok .. *sigh* ... oh well .. here goes nothing ...\
  • Reply 20 of 44
    iwantamaciwantamac Posts: 3member
    Hey everyone. I've been reading this site for the past 6 months because I want a Mac. I finally am saying something because it's nice to see that so many of you are helpful. I hope I can save enough money this summer to buy a Mac (powerbook). Then I can finally become one of you. By the way, I don't mind my Dell laptop excpet for one thing. When I start my laptop, it starts up normally, but after the WindowXP Professional screen with the scrolling bar at the bottom, the screen goes blank. The hard drive is running and everything but just goes black. I have to restart it and try it again. Sometimes it happens multiple times and I want to drop it on the floor and jump on it. My roommate has the same laptop and has the same problem. I just want a Mac just for the hell of it. 8)