One of the sadest things I've seen in a while

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was leaving for lunch today and went by our loading dock. There were around 35 Mac SE's sitting on a pallet to be sent for surplus. Nothing new here.

The sad part was that there were 3 guys with hammers beating the heck out of the cases in order to rip out the HD's. There were parts all over the place. Seeing all those SE's with gaping holes in them almost made me cry.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member

- Xidius
  • Reply 2 of 15
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    And they need the hard drives for what? What on earth could you use the drives for?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by podmate

I was leaving for lunch today and went by our loading dock. There were around 35 Mac SE's sitting on a pallet to be sent for surplus. Nothing new here.

The sad part was that there were 3 guys with hammers beating the heck out of the cases in order to rip out the HD's. There were parts all over the place. Seeing all those SE's with gaping holes in them almost made me cry.

OK, thats it!!!! WHAT IS WITH YOU PEOPLE? It is a mac, and they are great but, in the end it is a computer, nothing less and nothing more. just bits bytes, wire and chips, why so emotional?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Err... Have you ever owned a pre-PPC Mac? They are really easy to get attached to. Hell my LC's video died half a year ago but I have yet to muster up the strength to let it go.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I chucked my SE/30 into a crusher.

(Non-evil disclaimer: it didn't work).
  • Reply 6 of 15
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Even though I never owened a pre-PPC mac. My Powermac 6100 got killed in a lighting storm, I still have it in my basement. It still turns on and does everything like the chime and the boot up, but, every time I would boot it up it would freeze immedititly. I use it for disections and for my educaion about computers and how they work( on the inside). I swear I will have that thing intill I am dead.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

OK, thats it!!!! WHAT IS WITH YOU PEOPLE? It is a mac, and they are great but, in the end it is a computer, nothing less and nothing more. just bits bytes, wire and chips, why so emotional?

What is it with you people who don't understand the connection between man and machine?

People are allowed to get teary eyed over cars, but not their computers? Gimme a break...

Not our fault you never had a computing experience good enough and eye opening enough to get attached to one of your machines.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Pumpkintosh

Not our fault you never had a computing experience good enough and eye opening enough to get attached to one of your machines.

Well, here in windows land, I think of my computer much like a car, it needs rutien maintenance, and a little tlc, but take care of it and it will take care of u, and then every 3 or 4 years (or less if budget allows) I buy/build a new one and sell/give/toss/reuse the old one, no biggie, I understand Mac os and all the hardware is great but what is it that drives mac people to the lengths they go?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    'If it has to be explained, you'll never understand.'
  • Reply 10 of 15
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Where one is a hammer, the other is a paintbrush.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    psgamer0921psgamer0921 Posts: 393member
    Well, when you're used to Windows for all you're life, you start to learn one thing. Computers are like Nike+Prostitues.

Just Screw It
  • Reply 12 of 15
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I have yet to get rid of any of the Macs I've owned (or my old Atari 800XL).

Also, a_greer, do you have a relative named Michael_M? He used to post here awl thee thyme!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    I've been having to track down vulnerable folks on our network and tell them to patch. The fun part is we share our network with 4 other divisions that are part of our parent company. They add up to about 100 people and have no IT support. Their systems have ridiculous names like HP759 or BILLDELL. They give no indication as to who actually owns the system. So I have to find their MAC address then trace them down on the switch. What a great way to waste a day!

Here's the best part. Several of my users weren't able to update because Windows Update would fail. Followed the trouble shooter with no luck. I finally found that it was and OKI printer driver that was causing it not to work. How a printer driver can dork up the update system I'll never know. !@*&^% Windows XP!
  • Reply 14 of 15
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    For those of you (a_greer, I'm looking in your direction) who don't understand, that sucks.

I still have every computer I've ever owned, and I've never owned anything but a Mac. I just can't let these things go. I'll never be able to. I could go into my crawl space and pull my Mac + out of a box and boot it and mess around for a while if I wanted to. It's awesome that it still works. I want to be able to show my kids someday how computers used to be, back in the day, before displays were holographs, HDDs were 10tb, and the slowest Mac was dual 5.0ghz G7s.

I'll boot up that old Mac+, or my LC and remember how things were in the good old days.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    podmatepodmate Posts: 183member
    I work for a University, so they were killing the HD's to make sure that nobody could get any data off of them.

Too bad. For the price of 1 on the SE's I would have wiped the HD's of all ~35 of them.

Oh well. What do you expect from a windows worshiping institution.