10.4 Tiger Feature Request

Comments

• Reply 141 of 243
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZoSo

[B]Regarding Exposé, I think some people (like me) will never use/like it. My right hand never leaves the mouse except for typing, the left hand has the thumb sitting constantly near the space bar and the cmd key, and it's perfect for me to leave the thumb there and use my middle finger to move quickly from Tab to H or vice versa. I constantly hide and switch between apps, basically moving just one finger, and I'm happy this way. I don't use it, but it doesn't get in my way either; fine for me!

Two words: screen corners.

Quote:

And for chrissake, I'd love to be able to have real smart playlists in iTunes, like say, this artist OR that other AND both 4 stars or better. Is it that difficult?

I'd like to set up exclusions or exceptions to some criteria too, but I wouldn't consider this an OS thing per se. I bet it's trickier than it sounds too.
  • Reply 142 of 243
    zosozoso Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I was born with AfterDark, and I still use Top/Left to activate it (I still call it that way, Screen Saver sounds too Win 3.1! ) and Down/Left to disable it. I suppose I still have two more corners... Guess I'll look at it

ZoSo
  • Reply 143 of 243
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

I want the Put Away command to come back. I recently worked on a project in Mac OS 9 and all the old habits came right back to me. I took all the files that I needed put them on the desktop so they would be at the root level of Open/Save dialogue boxes. When I finished the project, I simply hit command y and all the files went right back to where they were. This was a great feature and I can only assume that it's demise was due to the poor metadata implementation in the Finder.

I want this too, if you put something in the trash by mistake, just click put away and it'll go back! Apple brought a lot of OS 9 things into OS X with 10.3, I expect that 10.4 will bring more.

I still think that OS 9 had some really nice features that have been scrapped, like the apple menu bar, i prefer that to the dock, the dock is a little bit task bar (windowz), I'm in two ways about this, i like the dock, but other times it annoys me.

Also i want a decent option to the 'traffic light' buttons, like clear ones! And if Apple could change the click-and-drag rectangles with rounded edges back to straight edges, i don;t like all the curvy edges, all the selections are curvy, exposé is curvy, iCal is curvy. Square edges are very cool and minimalist, much better, i feel. Although i can cope with the app windows being curvy!

I want oS X as it is (pretty much with a few oS 9 features brought forward) but a better finder and 'look' more minimalist and sleeker
  • Reply 144 of 243
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZoSo

Regarding Exposé, I think some people (like me) will never use/like it. My right hand never leaves the mouse except for typing, the left hand has the thumb sitting constantly near the space bar and the cmd key, and it's perfect for me to leave the thumb there and use my middle finger to move quickly from Tab to H or vice versa.

I'm similar but I manage to use expose all the time by setting the keys to:

Command-Right-click ---> All Windows

Option-Right-click ---> Application Windows

Shift-Right-click ---> Desktop

Works great and I still don't need to move my hands out of position.
  • Reply 145 of 243
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I want this too, if you put something in the trash by mistake, just click put away and it'll go back!

OTOH, OS X has Undo in the Finder. Seriously. Duplicate a file, then Undo. Drag it to the Trash, then Undo. Voila, like Put Away... the only thing is that you have to do it *immediately*... none of the checking several hours later and going "D'oh! I need to put that back... now where did it come from again?"

Quote:

Also i want a decent option to the 'traffic light' buttons, like clear ones!

System Preferences -> Appearance -> top pop-up, select 'Graphite'.
  • Reply 146 of 243
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

I'm saddened that most users don't know that if screen corners for Exposé are enabled, you can easily drag and drop files folders and data to various places via Exposé. (Well you can even with using the keys but I hardly see the need to use the keys that way).

So, if I have a bunch of Finder windows open and there is a file I have on the desktop that I want to put away, I can mouse to a corner to hide the windows, select and drag the file go to another corner and drag the file over whichever minimized Finder window I want to drop it into. It blinks and resizes to 100% and I can drop it where I want to. All in 1 or 2 fluid moves. (And countless other combinations of things to drag and places to drag to)

Same for dragging data between places. I can select some text, got to a corner, choose a minimized window, let it expand and the release the mouse and the data is pasted when I want it to go. (Escape let's you cancel the operation pre-drop)

I use Exposé to its fullest and am practically handicapped without it now. It enhances regular drag and drop a hundred fold by letting me manage my way through many windows.
  • Reply 147 of 243
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    When Expose came out, I thought it was really cool, but after some time, I haven't found it as useful. I think there is much room for improvement in Tiger.

The problem I have with Expose is that I still have to "hunt" for the window I need just like I would if I was using an Application or Window menu. To me, that is very inefficient. There needs to be some way that windows can stay in one spot, so that my muscle memory will remember where they are. If I have numerous windows open, and close 2, my Expose layout can change dramatically... not efficient at all when it comes to quickly changing windows because you have to "hunt" for the the one you're looking for all over again.

This is the one thing I like about the Windows Taskbar, is that windows always stay in one spot on the bar (complete with icon and name), so that you really only need to hunt for the window once, from then on, when you switch to that window, you just click the box for it because it's static location is stored in your memory, and you don't even need to look at the box's icon or window name.

I'm not trying to make this into an Expose thread, I just open Apple improves the functionality of Expose so that it becomes more efficient. Until then, I'll just cmd-tab to the app I want and cmd-` until I get the window I want.
  • Reply 148 of 243
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    My main request is to not have to type in a password to switch between users (in fast user switching) unless you want to. It should allow you to switch on the fly.
  • Reply 149 of 243
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by imacFP

My main request is to not have to type in a password to switch between users (in fast user switching) unless you want to. It should allow you to switch on the fly.

yes indeed, that would satisfy me too. at least as an option i think apple should enable passwordfree fast user switching. That would create some visual impact anyway. The only reasons they don't enable it are probably security issues. wild shot

Anyway, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I'm not being

followed, huh?

best
  • Reply 150 of 243
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

... Voila, like Put Away...

"undo" is not "put away", isn't it? It is definitely not even close to "put away".

Perhaps i am a bit trapped in classic thinking, but "put away" was a nifty feature, wasn't it? Bring it back at least as an option!
  • Reply 151 of 243
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Aaaaah! I demand an immediate ban on the phrase "at least make it an option" in this thread!

I think "Put Away" is a nice tool. I'd like to see it come up contextually both in a context menu and in the File menu when you have the Trash folder in the forwground.
  • Reply 152 of 243
    Quote:

Aaaaah! I demand an immediate ban on the phrase "at least make it an option" in this thread!

Yes it is such a curse with that thread, but at least make "put away" an option, not to mention "spring loaded folders in the dock". [does anybody hear me?]

couldn't resist
  • Reply 153 of 243
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    *proper* services integration -- i keep posting that they should be part of the contextual menu when you click on a file (and posted to apple). they seem wasted to me as they are now.

spring loaded dock folders is the obvious dock progression IMHO
  • Reply 154 of 243
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    Its interesting most requeests are for fixes and missing features rather than something totally new.

Any idea on something really new that may be in Tiger?
  • Reply 155 of 243
    No one has any imagination anymore.
  • Reply 156 of 243
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

System Preferences -> Appearance -> top pop-up, select 'Graphite'.

undo isn't good enough, that's why they should bring back put away, i said decent traffic lights, not graphite some other options, like clear ones!!!!
  • Reply 157 of 243
    Quote:

Originally posted by Imergingenious

No one has any imagination anymore.

I want the trash in the sidebar! there you go imagination. At least make it an option

Oh also, could they get rid of the transition when you open a folder, you know where it comes from, couldn't it just appear rather than 'grow' out of the folder icon.
  • Reply 158 of 243
    Quote:

Oh also, could they get rid of the transition when you open a folder, you know where it comes from, couldn't it just appear rather than 'grow' out of the folder icon.

no.
  • Reply 159 of 243
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

This animation has been in Mac OS since the beginning! The only difference is that where the old system used a zooming rectangle, now you actually see the contents. The current zoom takes no more time than the "zoomrects" and it provides excellent spacial feedback as to what you're navigating.
  • Reply 160 of 243
    mr beardsleymr beardsley Posts: 365member
    Quote:

I want the trash in the sidebar! there you go imagination.

Actually I think trash in the sidebar totally makes sense. Then you can do all of your file manipulation in the finder.