what's your religion?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
ok, there have probably been some threads about this in the past, but they aren't current, so, here goes:

what is your religion (or lack thereof), and why do you believe in it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    I am a-religious. My cultural background is jewish. I believe in nothing but myself for self-explanatory reasons.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Meism
  • Reply 3 of 51
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    Atheist because religion is a social construct.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    athiest
  • Reply 5 of 51
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    what's a social construct? i'm young and benighted about such matters, don't pick on me for my ignorance.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Agnostic.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Agnostic (reformed).
  • Reply 8 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

what's a social construct? i'm young and benighted about such matters, don't pick on me for my ignorance.

Social constructs are simply organizations, ideas, or entities that are derived from interactions between more than one person. Race is a social construct. Sexual roles are social constructs. Religion and all of its trappings are social constructs...
  • Reply 9 of 51
    mac os xmac os x Posts: 53member
    I am an agnostic.

If I were sure of the existance of God and the truth of Jesus, however, I would be Mormon. The LDS church, I have come to establish after many, many missionary lessons and after having attended many differen types of churches, is the most true Christina church, and at the very least, it is the one that explains the most things the most logically.

But yeah . . . not sure of the whole Christian thing to begin with.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    ok, i get it billybobsky, what if you're a solitary practitioner of a religion though, for example, wiccan, you can be however you want in that, so, that's not really a social construct really, unless you're in a coven, or something
  • Reply 11 of 51
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    "Protestant" Christian.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    I can well imagine an atheist's last words: "White, white! L-L-Love! My God!"--and the deathbed leap of faith. Whereas the agnostic, if he stays true to his reasonable self, if he stays beholden to dry, yeastless factuality, might try to explain the warm light bathing him by saying, "Possibly a f-f-failing oxygenation of the b-b-brain" and, to the very end, lack imagination and miss the better story.

-Life of Pi.

Nothing improves a thread like a quote? Nice job, Mr. Dorkus Progmac
  • Reply 13 of 51
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    I'll put it this way. I have faith that humanity will finally wake up and see that we all breathe the same air, stand on the same ground and can love each other for who we are...humans.

Simple. Honest. Real. Humble. Ain't it? Wake me when it happens.

• Reply 14 of 51
    Quote:

ok, i get it billybobsky, what if you're a solitary practitioner of a religion though, for example, wiccan, you can be however you want in that, so, that's not really a social construct really, unless you're in a coven, or something

precisely...
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

I'll put it this way. I have faith that humanity will finally wake up and see that we all breathe the same air, stand on the same ground and can love each other for who we are...humans.

Simple. Honest. Real. Humble. Ain't it? Wake me when it happens.

Artman wake up. WAKE UP. Someone switched your IV with an euthanasia drip. You have got to get out of here, the human race is trying to KILL you.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Born and raised Catholic, but well versed in the occult. Just kidding.

I don't call myself a Catholic anymore though. I have read and studied Metaphysics and that has shaped my spiritual beliefs.

I don't need a "middleman" in the form of an organized religion.

I believe in ONE Creator.

I believe that all religions and "Messaiahs" are just different paths to the same destination in this plane of existence.

I believe we are ever evolving spiritually. The concept of being born, living 80 years and dying and going to "heaven" is way too incomplete for me.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    I don't believe in gods or any religion.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    why is that zodiac?
  • Reply 19 of 51
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i was raised catholic. haven't quite explained to the mother yet, but i'm an atheist now. i wouldn't be completely floored if i found out i was wrong in the end, and that there was a god, who shamelessly was laughing at me down in my unholy hellfire. but, right now, i can't conceive of how a god came into existence, or how it perpetually exists. certainly not an allknowing allpowerful god like i tend to associate the term with.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    Quote:

why is that zodiac?

I don't know. I just think it's a waste of time. Just false hope that makes people feel better about stuff. Just a presence that people pray to when they are alone that really isn't there.