Iranians sue the US over Saddams Gas Attacks...

newnew
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
From the iranian news agency IRNA...

Apparently iranian victims of Saddams Gas attack in the 80s are suing the US for supplying the goods.

Funny, I thought the iranians used chemical weapons themselves...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Filing a suit 25-ish years after the fact??

Apparently the quest to spread America's ideals is working...\
  • Reply 2 of 26
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

From the iranian news agency IRNA...

Apparently iranian victims of Saddams Gas attack in the 80s are suing the US for supplying the goods.

Funny, I thought the iranians used chemical weapons themselves...

The Iraqis used them on 'themselves' with the Kurds.

umm:
  • Reply 3 of 26
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    We were allies at the time with Iraq. Don't allies give weapons to them. So Iran is just sore since we are now attacking are former ally.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    hassan i sabbahhassan i sabbah Posts: 3,987member
    Hello there Quagmire. We haven't been introduced properly yet. My name is Hassan, which is two syllables, like 'quagmire'.

I live in London. Where do you live?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Iranians have enroled tons of childs during the war against Iraq (childs over 14) : who will sue the governement who allowed this ?

Supplying Gaz to Iraq was bad, but Iran also had pretty bad record to. We have a proverb for this kind of ironic situation in french " l'hopital se fout de la charité".
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Hello there Quagmire. We haven't been introduced properly yet. My name is Hassan, which is two syllables, like 'quagmire'.

I live under the U.S. Probably around the Earth's core.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

We have a proverb for this kind of ironic situation in french " l'hopital se fout de la charité".

In the US it's 'The pot calling the kettle black', but essentially the same sentiment.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

The Society cited a report from the US Department for Commerce

which indicated that Washington supplied Iraq with air force

components within 1985-1990.

Wow Slam dunk case.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    So let me get this straight, according to the US, it is legal to supply your allies with weapons that have been declared illegal by the Geneva conventions? In other word, it's ok for us to use poison gas, just not our enemies? A curious argument. Poison gas is against the conventions no matter who uses it. Strange someone should be justifying selling it. I say, "go Iraninas, sue their asses off."
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by norfa

So let me get this straight, according to the US, it is legal to supply your allies with weapons that have been declared illegal by the Geneva conventions? In other word, it's ok for us to use poison gas, just not our enemies? A curious argument. Poison gas is against the conventions no matter who uses it. Strange someone should be justifying selling it. I say, "go Iraninas, sue their asses off."

What weapons did the US supply?
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

We gave them chemical weapons.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

Proof?
  • Reply 13 of 26
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by norfa

I thought it was only illegal if the other guy didn't do it first. Kinda like how it's illegal to punch someone unless they hit you first.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Proof?

Just the first google hit...
  • Reply 15 of 26
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I wonder what district they're going to file that one under. . . .

Civil suits from foreign lands. . . gee, those have a bunch of successful history.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

My Islamic World professor (an Iranian) lectured on this today. According to him, there is no evidence that the United States assisted with the Iraqi nuclear or chemical weapons programs.

At this time, the United States gave Iraq large loans for "agricultural development" and these funds were diverted toward weapons programs by Saddam Hussein since his income from oil had practically been cut off. At various times, the United States provided aid to both Iran and iraq, mostly to enourage then from favoring Communism and also to reduce a threat by having the two countries fight among themselves.

The technology for weapons production was supplied by the French (until the nuclear reactor was destroyed and the French scientific advisor was killed by the Israelis), British, and the Soviet Union.

In other aspects of United States foreign policy, this instructor is very critical of the actions of the present and past administrations, but in spite of leading questions on this issue, he maintained that direct involvement with Iraqi weapons production has never been proven.

(In case anyone wants to do a search to decide if this is a credible source, the name is Mazier Behrooz. I'm not saying you'll find anything, though. )
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

Just the first google hit...

One I can't read that page and two I don't believe for a moment that we sold them XV.

Europe is much more responsible for selling Iraq the nasty stuff but then are not getting sued by the Iranian government.

A Vile Business

How the West armed Saddam Hussein
  • Reply 18 of 26
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

What the hell?

Anyway... The US's involvement was certainly present indirectly, and it is clear that we knew what Saddam was doing with our supplies we were giving him. If we look at Israel as the other well funded US ally in the region, there is a strong precedent for directly providing military hardware and other supplies...

However, what is the international law on negligence of this sort on behalf of the the us?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

In the US it's 'The pot calling the kettle black', but essentially the same sentiment.

Thanks for the translation.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Scott....here's a detailed article...and it's safe to read, Israel is not implicated here.

Quote:

THE US and Britain sold Saddam Hussein the technology and materials Iraq needed to develop nuclear, chemical and biological weapons of mass destruction.

Reports by the US Senate's committee on banking, housing and urban affairs which oversees American exports policy reveal that the US, under the successive administrations of Ronald Reagan and George Bush Snr, sold materials including anthrax, VX nerve gas, West Nile fever germs and botulism to Iraq right up until March 1992, as well as germs similar to tuberculosis and pneumonia. Other bacteria sold included brucella melitensis, which damages major organs, and clostridium perfringens, which causes gas gangrene

Full article here:

http://www.sundayherald.com/27572

or perhaps its an anti-American conspiracy theory made up by this Senate Comittee who are secret Saddam Hussein sympathizers?