Discussions about the latest virus

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

Yeah but you see, by default users have read/write privileges to anything in ~/, and has read privileges on the address book data. Thus no password is required to access the address book. In fact, it is so trivial to write a program that nukes anything the user has read/write access without authentication to, i.e. here's your OS X virus:

(applescript) do shell script "rm -rf ~/Documents"

But the real problem is deployment, it simply is impossible to effectively deploy an OS X virus; no decent security holes to install programs in, no screwy e-mail clients, etc. However you can send this exact applescript application to someone else running OS X, and if they choose to execute it (mail does give a virus warning), buh bye Documents.

In fact, I seem to remember an incident a while ago where Apple distributed some program (was it iTunes?) whose installer nuked your hard disk if its name had a space in it. Maybe that was the first OS X virus, straight from Apple.

Just to be a bastardly nit-pick... that's not a virus, it's a trojan horse. Read the post before yours for the difference between a virus and a worm, a horse is something that tries to say "Look! I'm okay! Run me!" and then does something malicious, like that app-as-mp3 hack that was running around a couple weeks ago. Classic trojan horse.

Distinguishing between the three is important when discussing security issues since they have completely and utterly different characteristics of behaviour, attack, distribution, and deployment.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Of course, because in my infinite wisdom, I left out the super secret code that lets my trojan propagate itself (making it a virus)
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Closer. That'd make it a worm, a self-contained process.

A virus, as indicated in that earlier post, is a chunk of code that runs *inside* another process, rather like how a virus propagates *inside* a cell. It's not a self-contained thingy, it has to have a carrier process to exist.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

Of course, because in my infinite wisdom, I left out the super secret code that lets my trojan propagate itself (making it a virus)

Sheesh, does NO ONE read my posts?
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Ooh! Ooh! I did! I did!

Do I get a gold star now?
  • Reply 26 of 34
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    I won't give my star to Kickaha.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Thanks to hyperb0le, torifile, Paul and others for their responses to my earlier questions. I feel somewhat more justified in my belief in OS X security. On the other hand, chych?s response indicates some reason still to worry (although my own machine is not set up in a way that his particular script would cause a problem).
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Update....The virus got through to my PC at work today. Although our Mircosoft-trained IT people are not the greatest, they have at least been good in insulating us from the virus plague...until this one. We have over 2,000 employees and apparently they have to wipe the machines individually. They can't give us an estimate of when this will be completed. I plan to work at home tomorrow using my Mac.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Update....(snip) ... I plan to work at home tomorrow using my Mac.

If possible you should take it into work.. when they all come up to you and ask why your machine is running ok and theirs dont, tell them
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

If possible you should take it into work.. when they all come up to you and ask why your machine is running ok and theirs dont, tell them

Good idea, except I look forward to working in my grubbies at home, rather in my usual suit and tie and my set up is not all that portable in any case. Perhaps I will just phone them continually and tell them I have sent them more documents from my Mac, which they will be able to read...when they are up and running again. Actually, I already made several pointed comments about working on my Mac from home after the virus struck today.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Ooh! Ooh! I did! I did!

Do I get a gold star now?

It's all yours.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    He tooks it from usss....
  • Reply 33 of 34
    There are a few pages in today's Toronto Globe and Mail devoted to viruses and computer security. I think that the newspaper was waiting for the next big virus to strike to publish a pull-out section like this. There is no mention at all of general superior security on OS X. Instead, we find this little blurb:

Quote:

Apple scolded on security - Security researchers are taking Apple Computer Inc. to task for the descriptions of security flaws in its advisories. Five vulnerabilities released Monday affect various components of the Mac OS X operating system. The greatest threat is a buffer overflow in the Apple filesharing system that could allow a remote attacker to take control of the system, but the firm described it as a correction "to improve the handling of long passwords".

The little story is so poorly written that it is hard to make heads or tails of it. But the overall message to readers is that, among the pages describing security problems on Windows caused by ?malicious hackers?, and describing what the brave Windows IT people and individual PC desktop users are doing to battle these hackers ? and not referring to the basic problems on Windows that allow these security vulnerabilities ? the Apple OS is mentioned only briefly and it - not Windows - is singled out as having inherent security problems.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    eric jeric j Posts: 43member
    Hi,

I have used a Mac for nearly 20 years. Never had a virus.

Because I believe that the Mac's relative immunity from viruses is largely attributable to low market share, (I'm not a computer techie), I say we should NOT encourage Wintel users to switch and boost Apple's market share too much. Let them stew in their own juice.

Selfish perhaps, but a survival strategy.

Peace

eric j