Who stole my post count?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trailmaster308

Is it possible to get rid of all display names as well? It would be fun to discern who is who by their posts. 8)

that would actually be really cool...
  • Reply 42 of 66
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    with regard to CosmoNut's comment on the age of posters being relevant, I'd tend to agree

most of those who thought Street Racing was cool seemed too young to drive

most of those who think War is cool seemed too young to serve

(indeed, my grandfather [WWII vet, UN peacekeeper] said the only people who want war are those who've never been in one... nobody who's ever been in one wishes it on anybody.)

given the recent proliferation of teenage members, spotting the wise due to experience might help.

birthdate might thus provide additional insight over registration date

added bonus... might allow Carol to calculate all our Horoscopes.

downside? identity theft for the honest... and too easy to falsify when filling it in.

• Reply 43 of 66
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

A lot of people give quagmire a hard time here, but I cut him a lot of slack because he's 14 and I'm 24. He hasn't experienced high school, college, or having a full-time job. In the same light, I am always interested to hear what those older than me here have to say. I don't have kids, so I like hearing murbot and other parents' perspectives on life, children, careers, and so on.

Excellent point - this is what makes AI such a valuable resource and vibrant community. There is a wealth of experience to draw upon and learn from. You can treat the comments on face value OR - if you've been here long enough - you might be able to assess each comment with the relative respect you think it deserves based upon your observations of said member's posts.

Quote:

We're a blend of cultures, ages, genders, and more. Some have been here longer than others, and I think that's important to know. How many posts a person has seems a lot less important.

Great comment - I think this embraces the spirit/purpose of the message board "ideal" (if such a thing exists)

To my mind, it's more about communication with others who share a common interest or are able to offer advice/help for certain issues than it is to try and accumulate posts.

(Having said this... I'd love to reach 1000 posts myself so I can have the option of choosing a descriptor under my user name, but I can wait it out!)
  • Reply 44 of 66
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i dont konw if i can get used to this registered time deal. as i scan over them i keep getting 2002s mixed with 2003s and such. i think it'd be really keen if we converted the date to milliseconds since the epoch, or possibly the diff between [now] & registration time.

but seriously, i think reg date is better than post count. sometimes i'd look over post counts to guestimate how long a body has been here, and apparently, it's not at all a good measure of that. jazus. some of us have post to days registered ratios way out of wack.

as for age: i find it easy enough to guess based on post content. therefore, i lie and mislead in my profile. plus i have an irrational fear of the fearful things out there that want to use my age against me.
  • Reply 45 of 66
    Yeah! Now NO ONE knows I am not at 1000 post... err, wait...
  • Reply 46 of 66
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

I had lost all hope, honestly (BadFlamingo was a mess) and didn't bother to check back until April 2002.

BadFlamingo - now there's a name I haven't heard in a LOOONG while.

I just typed in www.badflamingo.com and it came up as a .mac homepage message ... unable to be found.
  • Reply 47 of 66
    Oh man I remember finding this place like 2 or 3 months before the black out, I was all over it like a redneck on his sister and then boom it was gone. I tried all sorts of other forums, I even tried real life for a little bit if you can believe that but nothing could fill the void. I tried BadFlamingo for a while to, I think I found it from an article on Maccentral

Hopefully now that post counts are gone we will see less "IBL LOL!!1!!111" posts. Unfortunately I doubt that will happen. You should put a word sensor on, Brad, that changes that to something like "oops It appears I forgot to read the posting guidelines" or even "Hey look! I am an idiot!" will do fine.
  • Reply 48 of 66
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

(simpson's "carl" voice)

"I used my post count to feel like a man.....I guess now I'll have to rely on my enormous genitalia....

It's funny because it's true. LOL.

Hey my post count went up by one just now! COOL!!!!!
  • Reply 49 of 66
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    an interesting blend would be showing the average posts per day ratio instead of registration date OR postcount.... it would be both at the same time...
  • Reply 50 of 66
    silentechoessilentechoes Posts: 288member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

an interesting blend would be showing the average posts per day ratio instead of registration date OR postcount.... it would be both at the same time...

Yeah but I think that has spam written all over too.
  • Reply 51 of 66
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    How will I ever know who I can be condescending to?!
  • Reply 52 of 66
    double post...i delete the first though cuz the number 2 is cooler
  • Reply 53 of 66
    How will I ever know who I can be condescending to?!

...oh right I'm the one looked down upon...gota remember that
  • Reply 54 of 66
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    ast3r3x, I think your sig says it all.
  • Reply 55 of 66
    silentechoessilentechoes Posts: 288member
    Well so much for spam reduction \
  • Reply 56 of 66
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

Actually, what would be interesting would be also to have a mini bar-graph that showed the percentage of his/her total posts that a member posted to each AI forum. It would really add something to the member profile. Do-able?
  • Reply 57 of 66
    ludwigvanludwigvan Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

As for post counts, oh well. I worked hard to get my nice title, and I was one of the first 100 to join "AI: Phase Two, Rise From The Dead." It's all good for me.

And here I always thought it was "AI II: Electric Bugaloo."
  • Reply 58 of 66
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Actually, what would be interesting would be also to have a mini bar-graph that showed the percentage of his/her total posts that a member posted to each AI forum. It would really add something to the member profile. Do-able?

It''s do-able, but the better question is, "who is going to do it?"

• Reply 59 of 66
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

It''s do-able, but the better question is, "who is going to do it?"

I thought that there were some of you out there who love to write code.
  • Reply 60 of 66
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

I thought that there were some of you out there who love to write code.

Yeah, they're all out getting laid right now too