Science on the moon; or how I learned to love the (absolute) vacuum of space

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I am sitting here thinking about where I should do my science when I am all grown up and I realized that the cost of maintaining vacuum equipment and the various insundry things affected by gravitationally induced friction would simply not have to be considered if I establish my lab on the moon. Of course, I got to thinking, eventually, given enough years, the atmosphere produced on the moon by all of my labs (ahem) vented gases would seriously begin to affect the vacuum I could obtain. So where else could I establish myself and reasonably be sure that within my lifetime, my vacuum equipment will read a pressure no higher than the vacuum of space? That little red rust encrusted jewel that is the fourth orb. Mars, you beckon me from afar you sexy planet, you. Problem: now we all know, thanks to the miracle of digital photography and NASA, that mars has a thin atmosphere which would absolutely have to go if my project were to be a complete and abject sucess.

So, the question came to me, why should mars have an atmosphere at all? I mean, its not like it needs it or anything; why, the atmosphere and all of its precious gases should be taken away because mars just doesn't know what to do with all those pressure causing molecules. I quietly have established a gas mining operation that will quickly be converted to a laboratory real estate prospecting entity offering the best vacuum this side of kansas city, kansas. Anybody with me?

This message brought to you by the letters: R O T O V A P. Why oh why don't we have a backup?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    If you want to avoid gravity and atmosphere why are you putting your lab on a planet?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    You see, now that is exactly why Martians have been trying to take over our planet! And it was your fault all along. Fortunately, Martian generals are dumb-as-heck and formed an alliance with untrustworthy associations, namely MGM, Disney, Universal, and Channel 2 FOX News.

• Reply 3 of 11
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Later Apollo Moon landings allowed the lunar walkers some 'personal time' during closeout

each crew from 14 through 17 was encouraged to add their own experiment if time/duties allowed

Dave Scott famously demonstrated Galileo's falling Hammer and Feather (6.2MB MPG) on the Moon during Apollo 15

more details here and alternate video formats

Shephard's lunar golf shot embarrassed the Nasa brass as a waste of 'personal time',

Also on 14, Ed Mitchell tested lunar ESP by trying to guess card symbols in Florida.

Scott's experiment is loved by physics teachers everywhere and perhaps the best example of 'personal time'

16 didn't get much time, just closeout tasks...

17 included Jack Schmitt's hammer throw and Cernan's final lunar speech

oh, as for other bodies offering both land and vacuum...

all but two moons (Titan, Europa) if you want to avoid Io's volcanos

and plenty of asteroids/planetoids to pick from.

Please don't fubar the atmosphere of Mars...

We need it for terraforming later, and even in its feeble state, it may be preserving water and life.

stick with the moon if you must, all but Titan and Europa,

or perhaps hitch a ride on asteroid Toutatis as it passes this fall
  • Reply 4 of 11
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

If you want to avoid gravity and atmosphere why are you putting your lab on a planet?

Well, I forgot this part: Who want's to wear magnetic boots all of the time? And think of the lab space you can get on a planet -- there is just no comparison...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Ah yes, but you're forgetting that the regolith of Mars or Earth's moon is covered in a fine dust that would eventually work its way into most any "open to vacuum" laboratory, so in the end you'd still end up building an elaborate filtration system that would ultimately force you to consider a mechanical backup to the "open vaccum" of Luna.

I too would suggest that the best platform for a vacuum lab would be in a station, not on the surface of a planet or planetoid. A Lagrange Point might be the logical location (see Gerard O'Neill's book "The High Frontier").

The station option would be the most beneficial because you'd have both the uber vaccum and the weightlessness at your disposal. Maybe take turns hopping out from Luna to the station for 2 month spells would do the trick.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I love ZZ Top. I would definitely blast La Grange on my way to Mars...

Anyway, just build a Dyson Sphere.

Live on the inside, have your lab on the outside.

Wait...did I just say "just" build a Dyson Sphere?

Actually not sure what effect of going from the inside to the outside. Inside is supposed to be earth gravity, what happen's "topside"? Gotta read up on that....

Edit: I mean a Ringworld (i.e. a Halo). Larry Niven rules.

That way you have gravity inside. I assume you have zero gravity outside though, so I guess you are back to magboots.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

Well, I forgot this part: Who want's to wear magnetic boots all of the time? And think of the lab space you can get on a planet -- there is just no comparison...

Rotating space station?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    What if your rotating space station is hit laterally? No one ever thinks of the disaster that would ensue...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Any collision in space would cause some chaos. What are you getting at?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca

My dehydrated Coca-Cola chewbar might fly up to the ceiling but I'd of course have my trusty magnetic boots on, right? No problems.

Just need mini magboots for the cat.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca

Imagine you are in said space craft during its chaotic movement... and since it is chaotic a computer with a deterministic set of engine controls would not be able to over come the chaos most likely... I can just imagine the glassware that would be broken...