iChat/iSight for windows?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
What does everyone think the chances for success of Apple doing what they did with iTunes and the iPod? That is to say, reproduce great software for windows and make the windows users buy hardware to go with it.

I can see the dangers of providing apps for windows (why switch?), but it might provide another excellent 'gateway drug' to bring users into the fold.

Yes? No?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I think a windows version of iChat with multiple protocol support would be an excellent trojan horse. Windows users don't have tight brand affiliation with AIM or MS Messenger. In fact, it is common practice to complain about the pathetic state of IM software. They would readily switch just as anti-mac zealots quickly gave in and started using iTunes.

Apple's mindshare would shoot through the roof.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    hyperb0lehyperb0le Posts: 142member
    It might work as a trojan horse, but Apple needs to be careful about what they port. If they port too much, lots of potential switchers might just say "Well, I've got most of the stuff already, why pay for a new computer?"
  • Reply 3 of 9
    sunreinsunrein Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hyperb0le

It might work as a trojan horse, but Apple needs to be careful about what they port. If they port too much, lots of potential switchers might just say "Well, I've got most of the stuff already, why pay for a new computer?"

I think you could be right. That's why I was curious if people thought it would be giving too much away. It's definitely a thin line to tread. At the very least, I think it would sell tons of iSights.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    millhousemillhouse Posts: 96member
    i think one of the things that made the iTunes and iPod thing happen, was a month or so after the iPod came out was programmers wrote apps so you could use it on windows. i havent seen the iSight have the same popularity, plus iChat as great as it is is lacking things like profiles, auto return away msg's, things that coming from windows i got mighty used to. i could see if maybe they sold iChat AV and iSight for 150 perhaps? but they'd have to beef up iChat i think to even appeal to most windows folks, if they lowered the price to 99 dollars on iSight though itd be a great idea i think.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by millhouse

i think one of the things that made the iTunes and iPod thing happen, was a month or so after the iPod came out was programmers wrote apps so you could use it on windows. i havent seen the iSight have the same popularity, plus iChat as great as it is is lacking things like profiles, auto return away msg's, things that coming from windows i got mighty used to. i could see if maybe they sold iChat AV and iSight for 150 perhaps? but they'd have to beef up iChat i think to even appeal to most windows folks, if they lowered the price to 99 dollars on iSight though itd be a great idea i think.

A price drop is definitely in order and the iChat A/V could certainly do with another major upgrade before anything like this happened.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Apple only ports software when it is to sell hardware, because they are or were and now mostly are, a hardware company. iTunes was ported for iPod. iChat might make sense to sell iSight. And the mind share would be worth it. Crown jewels like iMovie will never make it. And that is why PCs will always suck!8)
  • Reply 7 of 9
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Apple only ports software when it is to sell hardware.

WebObjects, Appleworks, Quicktime, and FileMaker, Streaming Server?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

WebObjects, Appleworks, Quicktime, and FileMaker, Streaming Server?

The first on is from NeXT, the second is from Claris(?), Quicktime is a media player so it has to be cross-platform, FileMaker is from Claris, and Streaming Server is need or no one would use QuickTime.

Apple is cross-platform out of legacy and necessity.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Apple only ports software when it is to sell hardware, because they are or were and now mostly are, a hardware company. iTunes was ported for iPod. iChat might make sense to sell iSight. And the mind share would be worth it. Crown jewels like iMovie will never make it. And that is why PCs will always suck!8)

I'd just like to see iSights in the hands of more users period. Right now the only other person I use my iSight with is my girlfriend, and I bought the iSight for her to use. \

It's such fantastically useful technology, I just wish it had more momentum behind it.