10.4 Tiger Feature Request

Comments

• Reply 181 of 243
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Aren't "smart" mailboxes just another implementation of rules in Mail and other e-mail apps? Seems like the stuff is there, just presented differently to the user.

Well, here is a good example of "smart" mailboxes. In the Linux mail client Ximian Evolution, there are things called "Virtual Mailboxes". They are used to to show things like unread email, mail in the last ___ (hours/days/months/weeks/etc), mail by importance, etc.

This can be a very useful tool.
  • Reply 182 of 243
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by richardb

Bluetooth: This is a jumbled mess which almost supercedes Windows in its windowsness. Try using a SE P900 with Salling Clicker and Address Book at the same time. Try to figure out how to connect to the Internet using your BT cellphone as a modem, especially complicated if you have several network places. I tried for a long time today and although I nearly suceeded - anyone less motivated wouldn't last five minutes...

Also, please implement the reverse. I'd like to share my Macs internet connection with my Tungsten T2. That way I can look up stuff (TV listings, Movies, Yellowpages, etc.) while downstairs or around the house.
  • Reply 183 of 243
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    And yet, Bluetooth under 10.3 was recently held up as a stellar example by a Windows-oriented site as one thing the Mac does *right* compared to the mess on Windows.

Scary, eh?
  • Reply 184 of 243
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

Well, here is a good example of "smart" mailboxes. In the Linux mail client Ximian Evolution, there are things called "Virtual Mailboxes". They are used to to show things like unread email, mail in the last ___ (hours/days/months/weeks/etc), mail by importance, etc.

Nifty!
  • Reply 185 of 243
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Arty50

Also, please implement the reverse. I'd like to share my Macs internet connection with my Tungsten T2. That way I can look up stuff (TV listings, Movies, Yellowpages, etc.) while downstairs or around the house.

The Missing Sync will do this.
  • Reply 186 of 243
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Nifty!

Even more so: being able to have a folder for my advisor, and a folder for each project we collaborate on, and not having to try and decide which one to put a message in. :P
  • Reply 187 of 243
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Oh also, could they get rid of the transition when you open a folder, you know where it comes from, couldn't it just appear rather than 'grow' out of the folder icon.

You can get rid of this. I have. I just don't know how. I've been searching through all the preference settings I can think of, but I can't find the option. But I definitely I have no transition effects when opening a folder. Maybe I have a 3rd party app running...

Edit: TinkerTool methinks -- So TinkerTool is a haxie then? It applies changed settings, even when the icon is not in the dock...?
  • Reply 188 of 243
    I want A.I. (Artificial Inteligence) and better voice recognition that actually learns, both of them learn that is.

These will perfectly complement the new meta data file system augmentation! .

Oh yeah and I want a new 3D pointing and moving device that zooms that current mouse is just sooooo last Century! . ( Goes with the zooming windows of the future yep less scrolling and the ability to zoom those preview icons up to the full 128 or more individually and at will and maybe even read small text doc's)

Defiantly count me in on the resolution independent interface "lets see those vector graphics".

How about intelligent tiling of the windows that you most use to go with those 23 inch monitors ?. Thats right exposé and option select two three four or more windows and they are automatically tiled on the desktop for you Hey and to top it off switch between sets with a different exposé key!.

Or my favorite more colour, aqua gives me the blues sometimes. I want more colour but not just pale shades.

No no I want to rock this joint! .

Yeah I want waves of multicoloured hues cascading across my applications activation buttons and maybe even throbbing with the beat of my itunes music! .

Oops and did I forget to mention the one click finder navigation? .

Yes thats right open a finder window and click once on a file in columns view and move the mouse left to scale effortlessly through the finder just as you navigate a menu! . A no brainer really actually I fail to see why they didn't include it originally? .

Edit??Didn't think I would have to spell it out ??A.I. (Artificial Inteligence).

Actualy I don't think that most people read what I wrote anyway. (whatever)

\
  • Reply 189 of 243
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Bad mod.

no

Quote:

Originally posted by the same one

(...) Not only in UI issues but in life in general, wide choices make people apathetic and nervous. (...)

Exactly. Absolutely.

"wide choices", - as you call that, - are mostly inefficient in - let's call it "daily life", - especially when it comes to UI. My favorite example regarding "wide choices", is the concept of "contextual menues". Just compare apples approach to microsofts idea of "contextual menues". Do you see the differences?

win=packed & loaded

mac=a few necessities

I mean, there is simply no need to change your network settings, if you just want to move one particular file into an other directory, no? Sometimes it is awfully distracting to have "wide choices".

Given that, this is why windows users constantly are unhappy with their system: they have tooooo many choices in the wrong context. Unfortunately, too often winpeople choose wrong actions in the wrong context, even by the most simple tasks. Man, that's what i call "Frust". It means "Frustration."

best
  • Reply 190 of 243
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

10.4 Merlot NOT TIGER!

Then I guess Steve Jobs doesn't know what he's talking about.
  • Reply 191 of 243
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I think Apple like having the trash in one place and one place only, and that'll be in the cock

• Reply 192 of 243
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

You can get rid of this. I have. I just don't know how. I've been searching through all the preference settings I can think of, but I can't find the option. But I definitely I have no transition effects when opening a folder. Maybe I have a 3rd party app running...

Edit: TinkerTool methinks -- So TinkerTool is a haxie then? It applies changed settings, even when the icon is not in the dock...?

You're right. It just would be nice if Apple did it itself. btw TinkerTool isn't a haxie, it just uncovers hidden options, it doesn't add or take away anything from the operating system, so there aren't any bad effects using it.
  • Reply 193 of 243
    btw, beside all metadata and smart searchfolders and some soon to be fixed UI glitches - i'd like to tear down top menues and have them as a floating palette. In some cases this would make a lot of sense.
  • Reply 194 of 243
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Ok, last feature request, I think.

I would like to see a complete revamp of the built in spell checker. Most of the time I just use it to let me know what words are spelt wrong, run over to Google and get the correct spelling. I get tons of "No Guesses Found", but Google gets it on the first try.
  • Reply 195 of 243
    kirklandkirkland Posts: 594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

*proper* services integration -- i keep posting that they should be part of the contextual menu when you click on a file (and posted to apple). they seem wasted to me as they are now.

Definitely. Services should also be pulled out of their current hiding place in the Application menu and placed somewhere that is more accessible. Perhaps a Services menu extra? Perhaps right between the Apple and the app name?

You know, if Apple hadn't already moved the Special menu to the Apple menu, that would have been the logical place to put Services.
  • Reply 196 of 243
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Angel of the Abyss

I want AI and better voice recognition that actually learns, both of them learn that is.

As much as we'd be flattered, the odds of this site being bundled with OS X are long indeed.
  • Reply 197 of 243
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kirkland

You know, if Apple hadn't already moved the Special menu to the Apple menu, that would have been the logical place to put Services.

But reembmer that the Special menu was only in the Finder. You always had to go to the Finder to shut down and such back then, the app was more central to the OS. Services need more than a more prominent place in the menu system, though they do. They need to do more, get more development and attention to detail from Apple and third parties. They should be more elegant.

Unfortunately, the iLife suite of apps access each others' data and circumvent services rather than work as an extension of that concept. I would like to see Services become more robust and be the kind of concourse for data that all apps can tie into more easily, and use lots more types of data in different formats, like how services and the pasteboard handle text now. There's a lot of potential to the idea, but it could just fade into obscurity.
  • Reply 198 of 243
    kirklandkirkland Posts: 594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

This can be a very useful tool.

It is a very useful tool -- Microsoft Entourage v.X has had this functionality for almost three years now. It ships with several default "Views," such as new mail received since launch, all unread mail, etc. You can create custom views as well.

You can also create as many "categories" and tag your mail, calendar events, contacts, tasks and notes with them, and sort and organize your custom views based on this really impressive metadata functionality.

For instance, at work, I have a custom mail view that shows me all advertising copy I've received in the last five days, regardless of where I've sorted it in my dozens of mail subfolders.

Of course, some will stupidly dismiss Entourage out of hand because of who publishes it. But in truth it's a great Mac program -- it doesn't have any of the Office core code, it's Mac code through and through. The Entourage development team helped push the rest of Office to adopt a more Mac-like appearance for Office 2001. And if Entourage were published by any other software company, Mac fans would never stop raving about it.

Kirk
  • Reply 199 of 243
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kirkland

Of course, some will stupidly dismiss Entourage out of hand because of who publishes it. But in truth it's a great Mac program -- it doesn't have any of the Office core code, ...

Kirk

good point.
  • Reply 200 of 243
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

But reembmer that the Special menu was only in the Finder. You always had to go to the Finder to shut down and such back then, the app was more central to the OS. Services need more than a more prominent place in the menu system, though they do. They need to do more, get more development and attention to detail from Apple and third parties. They should be more elegant.

Unfortunately, the iLife suite of apps access each others' data and circumvent services rather than work as an extension of that concept. I would like to see Services become more robust and be the kind of concourse for data that all apps can tie into more easily, and use lots more types of data in different formats, like how services and the pasteboard handle text now. There's a lot of potential to the idea, but it could just fade into obscurity.

I never use the services menu, whenever I try and use it, for grab only as it happens it never wants to work, I don;t see the point of it, and as most people wont use, it should stay where it is, it's easy enough to access at the moment. I don;t want it to have it's own title. It wouldn't be necessary for the vast majority of people, although they could make it an option!!!

[Or is this your point, no-one uses it!]