in Mac Software edited January 2014
Microsoft released Messenger 4 this evening. It can be downloaded here

Downloading now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Groundbreaking new features:

Buddy List Font Change

Holy crap, this is the one we've been waiting for, gentlemen. Easily the biggest new feature, completely justifying the leap to the big 4.0.

Save Button On Toolbars

The epitome of uselessness, since MSN auto-saves every conversation when you close a window.

Ability to Add New Contacts to MS Office Address Book

I mean, really, thank God for that proprietary address book. Without it, things would just jive too well for comfort.

A Fresh, Happenin' New Icon

A feature on the same epic scale as the buddy list font change, Microsoft reinvents instant messaging with this one. It kind of looks like the old one, except covered with colored rust.

All this, with the same crappy Carbon performance you've come to expect from the MBU. Welcome, friends, to MSN Messenger 4.0.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Well, I take that back. That was a little harsh of me.

It seems I have overlooked two major additions.

Alerts come from the bottom now.

And there's a sheep emoticon.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    chaserchaser Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Steve

Well, I take that back. That was a little harsh of me.

It seems I have overlooked two major additions.

Alerts come from the bottom now.

And there's a sheep emoticon.

Sweet, exactly what I need!
  • Reply 4 of 16
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    AGGGHHHH I STHERE ANYWAY TO CHOOSE WHERE THE ALERTS COME FROM????

Bascially over the last 4 years my peripheral vision has been adjusted to notice the top right corner for alerts! HELP!!

PS: You can also sign-in invisibly

:BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH:
  • Reply 5 of 16
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    how many years till messenger for mac is close to on par with the pc version? man, they are just being dicks not adding the same features. actually, ide rather iChat started supporting msn.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Unbelievably shitty software.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    brutalbrutal Posts: 4member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cam'ron

how many years till messenger for mac is close to on par with the pc version? man, they are just being dicks not adding the same features. actually, ide rather iChat started supporting msn.

hear hear!
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Is there ANY WAY to hack iChat to support MSN Messenger?

that would indeed be a great thing.

I'd love to have the coolness of iChat with the fact that I have about 150 contacts on MSN

DAMMIT NO ONE USES AIM IN EUROPE!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 9 of 16
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

I'd love to have the coolness of iChat with the fact that I have about 150 contacts on MSN

Adium X?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    no one uses aim in canada either. damn i hate aol

i think, like i do, that he just wants to use apple software and not have to download more than necessary.

ps. does the pic u use in ichat have to be your contact pic or can u make it another one? i noticed that in adium u can only use your contact pic which i want to keep as a company logo but i dont want that as a messenger pic, i want to be able to put stupid pics there
  • Reply 11 of 16
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    Damn. I was just going to post this. Well I'm downloading it right now anyways.

Well it doesn't look too much different.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Adium X?

wow... awesome. Best client out there.

But still needs some minor work.

It doesnt distinguish MSN "Busy" contacts. Classifies them as "away"

cant send files to MSN users. Doesnt see MSN Custom Icons.

But... DAMN is it great.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    amsn works great for me.

amsn.sourceforge.net

Pictures, file transfer, emoticons, good proxy support...
  • Reply 14 of 16
    I have amsn, it is good in the fact that it has all the new features of MSN for PC, but it has a few annoying bugs. The scroll bar is really screwed up and sometimes I go to click on a name (the cursor is right on it) and it highlights another name. If they could clean it up a bit I would be a lot more satisfied.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    I use Proteus. The new version, that there is a public beta of, is pretty cool. The thing that is doesn't support in MSN is custom icons. Everything else it covers pretty well. It actually holds MSN connections better than MSN does. It is shareware but in my opinion, is one of the better IM programs.

Proteus
  • Reply 16 of 16
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by foad

I use Proteus. The new version, that there is a public beta of, is pretty cool. The thing that is doesn't support in MSN is custom icons. Everything else it covers pretty well. It actually holds MSN connections better than MSN does. It is shareware but in my opinion, is one of the better IM programs.

Proteus

Another vote for Proteus. Proteus isn't as AIM-centric like Adium X (but maybe too ICQ-centric at the moment, but this will change soon apparently). But it handles a great deal of things better than Adium X.