KarateMonkey is in Hong Kong!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
on the first leg of our journey getting our new daughter!

we're here for a couple of days before a week in nanning, then a week in guangzhou then back here before going back to the land of coca-cola so lucy can meet her new brothers. any must-see's from my insider-brethren would be given every consideration.

the clever people can find more day to day stuff and some photos on my homepage (see my profile for link) but don't give me any grief about it being cutesy, it's for family at home mostly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    Wow man! Have fun over there. Don't eat any birds that have been hanging upside down in the open air for awhile...
  • Reply 2 of 13
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    rock on!

congrats on the new kid!
  • Reply 3 of 13
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    cool. good luck. watch out for SARS!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    have fun superkarate!!!

(nice pics) .. bring me a knife if you remember..
  • Reply 5 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    And don't get trampled at Lan Kwai Fong...

Isn't Mong Kok the place to go to get all your pirated CDs, movies, video games and other goodies. I heard they clamped down on all that in the past few years. Isn't Tsim Tsa Tsui station also a pretty good for shopping? Revel in model of efficiency that is the MTR.

You could do afternoon tea at one of the fancier hotels like the Mandarin or something.

I liked driving around to the south side of the island (like Repulse Bay). There's actual shoreline and vegetation there. And besides Lantau, there are other islands possibly worth visiting. Cheung Chau maybe?

EDIT: Whoa, the Marco Polo still exists? I remember staying there a long time ago and thinkign how cool it was to be able to walk around underground to Ocean Terminal.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    I've lived on Cheung Chau, and Lamma Islands, in Shek O, downtown, and out in the New Territories in the 90s

each had its great seafood restaurants, beaches, and cosmopolitan community, yet each offered a unique slice of local culture and character.

ShamShuiPo's Golden Shopping Arcade was always the home of pirated software. Anything you could imagine sent by modem and burned to disc, by request if you wanted a certain compilation. Hacking to order... delivered by scooter if requested... all this as early as 91.

Mac (bootleg) software selection relatively limited, but terabytes of textures, images, and every PC title you can imagine for $20 USD. Movies and games wazzoo.

** token editorializing: piracy is bad, mmmmkay? **

Stanley market on the south side of HK Island was good for silks, but packed on sundays.

Spend a few minutes in Central checking out the architectural styles bracketing the Leg. Council building. Bond centre is all displaced glass helix, Bank of China knifelike, HSBC's mecanno framing, and some colonial stone for counterbalance.

And though HK has more than enough to occupy your attention on its own,

If you've got a full free day, consider the flying jetboats to Macau.

Portugese food and wine can be fabulous and a great bargain for groups.

But perhaps the allure has faded as both are now officially returned to China.

• Reply 7 of 13
    thanks for all the suggestions and good wishes.

i hadn't read them til now and yes we did take the star ferry (it's dock is right outside) over to hong kong, went to man mo temple, to the antique shops, the markets, and took the tram to victoria peak, and in fact ate lunch at the cafe deco. it's nice to know i chose the best one, apparently my restaurant sniffing skills are not limited to north america.

we ate dinner at Vü (very nice) in the inter-continental and saw the light show/fireworks out the window. we'll watch from the promenade tomorrow night, if all goes well.

my wife wants to go see the buddah on lantau island, and now that i know there is a good restaurant their i'll oblige her.

i think i'll check out the golden center too.

thanks guys!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I wish I could do more to help, but I'll just tell you to enjoy and many many congratulations.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Whups, catched this one a bit late... but better late than never, right?

Well, congrats on the adoption! Ah god, I love kids! Make sure to enjoy HK, but with all that help, I'm sure nothing can go wrong .

I'll be sure to check up with you.