How did you come up with your site's name?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am working on a website and I'm having the hardest time coming up with a name. I even tried those random word generators. Too weird.

Anyways, I'm looking for a catchy and easy to remember name. The days of the "obvious" names(as in citydentistry.com etc)are over and branding is much more important IMO.

Anyone wanna share their story behind their website's name or have any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    My dad wanted a website for some tax break or something so he tried to get SBA.COM (Stands for Steve Block and Associates) That was taken and I didn't like the name much because it was boring and then I mentioned SSBA. It kinda had a ring to it so what the heck; we got it. This is turning into an obsession. I can't "reverse engineer" the acronym SSBA to mean anything cool! If I think of it as a word, not an acranym, it just "works". 8) I like it.

I do however get a lot of E-Mail for the Swiss Snowboard Association but I was here first.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    I have a handful of sites that have names that come from a strange origin: Turbo Rodent.com and Blue Spatula.com. When I was younger, my mentor used to rank my progress as an interaction designer on a scale of rodents. One night, when drinking was involved, somehow the word "Turbo" was applied to the idea of the rodent evolutionary chart. Lo and behold, the name just stuck.

Blue Spatula came about when I was just thinking of an absurd name. So I walked around the house, went through the kitchen, and was taken by a bright blue spatula.

I wouldn't stress over it too much, the name eventually comes. There are like formal exercises you can do.... specific brainstorming techniques that will help you find a name. They can take a while, but I've seen them work. Try googling it first, I'm not about to type it all out here
  • Reply 3 of 16
    That reminds me, I have a couple of 1-page sites I made 5 years ago. I didn't know much HTML then and I don't maintain them so they are pointless.

#1: http://www.ladderunderthefresnel.8m.com/

I made this site to bug a good friend I work with. It all started one day when we were focusing lights from a lighting grid. The only light that was on was pointing straight down on a ladder we were using to adjust it, making the ladder look REALLY evil. It kinda caught us off guard. From that day on, we refered to that ladder as the "Evil Ladder" or "Ladder from Hell". (It also shook a lot) I was going to try and recreate the scene and take a picture for the web just to bug her. Than I lost my username and password. Oh well.

#2: http://www.geezersan.8m.com/

This was also a spontaneous web creation. It was a slow summer night in our house had no one had any idea what to make for dinner so my dad stepped in. He grabbed the nearest can from the pantry and told us what we will be having for dinner. He SERIOUSLY didn't know didn't know he picked up a can of dog food. If I were not LMAO he would have opened the can with every intention to consume the contents. I just had to monument this event with a web page.

They seem kind of corny now, but whatever... \
  • Reply 4 of 16
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Ebby, SSBA obviously stands for: Stands for Steve Block and Associates.

Mine is psyresearch.com because it's psychology research. It lends itself well to designing a graphic for, too.

edit: is the place going to fall apart with Brad gone now? I've had several errors this morning already.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

edit: is the place going to fall apart with Brad gone now? I've had several errors this morning already.

it's his subtle way of telling you you're posting too much.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

it's his subtle way of telling you you're posting too much.

touché

• Reply 7 of 16
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

touché

LOL
  • Reply 8 of 16
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

touché

LOL

He'd apologise for any inconvenience, no?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    The name for my band's site came from the city we're in. Benicia Band, because currently all the content is for the Middle School half, but I'm moving up to high school next year, and so I changed the name.

We're even marching in the Rose Parade next year(second time), and played in Disneyland this year.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Ebby, SSBA obviously stands for: Stands for Steve Block and Associates.

That is the best I heard so far. The simple things are sometimes the best.

• Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

That is the best I heard so far. The simple things are sometimes the best.

You wrote it in your first post. That's what I thought you were getting at until I realized you didn't see the SSBA in the sentence.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    My wife and I honeymooned in the San Juan Islands in Puget Sounds, WA a few years ago, and she fell in love with the local orca pods as much as I had growing up in the region. The pods are the J, K, and L pods. We thought about using mpod.org, but realized that there were already jpod, kpod, and lpod domains used for research purposes, and pods *do* split off sometimes... so we went with ncpod.org. We live in North Carolina, and *nobody* out here knows what the hell a pod is. Back in WA, no one can figure out the 'nc' part. It's kinda fun.

Now that I have a tablet and a drawing program, I'm working on a simple logo that incorporates the Tarheel insignia into the dorsal signature of an orca.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

Anyone wanna share their story behind their website's name?

My client told me to.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    I just registered rgoyle.com...

looks a bit crap on its own, but the novelty of my new emither address has not worn off yet...

[email protected]

• Reply 15 of 16
    i have a saltwater fish tank with a watchman goby fish. and if anyone knows them, they have a constant 'frown' on their face and will only come out from their rock when they think you are not looking. me and my girlfriend just named him "sketchy fish" because he seemed to hate people so much.

sketchyfish.com was receintly born however no site attached yet.

i also have pixeltopaper.com for my design (i do both print and web design and this name was born out of an old multimedia presentation i did years ago) and pooperness.com (which is for my daughter and is a nickname that i have been calling her since birth. i dont know where it came from and i suspect that when she is a little older she will be asking me to stop calling her that).
  • Reply 16 of 16
    regreg Posts: 832member
    We got our Family names early in the game before most .coms were being gobbled up. Later when we were doing hobby sites, we used different countries. We had several .to accounts. That is the Island Kingdom of Tonga. IMO simple is the best when coming up with a name. How about giving a general idea what your site is about and someone might throw out an idea you can use.

reg