ipod update problem

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
So Here's the deal, I tried to update my girlfriend's ipod mini with the new updater so it can be used with itunes 4.5 and it shows up on the desktop no problem. iTunes opened asked if I wanted to update the ipod. It opened the updater, which promptly told me to plug in an iPod and then quit.

I tried re-downloading the updater, running it by itself, reseting the ipod, restarting her computer and it still didn't work. She is really bummed cause she can't update her ipod. I have read a couple of things that says apple is aware of this isolated problem. I don't really care if its isolated because it really sucks. I have also opened disk utility and checked to make sure that the computer is recognizing the ipod as an ipod, instead of a firewire hd, which it does (I had that problem with mine for a while).

In any case does anyone have any suggestions. I am thinking of trying to wipe it and start fresh. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Probably a dumb question:

Instead of using iTunes to update the iPod, have you tried directly from the iPod updater? That is what I did but I have a full sized 30GB iPod.\

If she doesn't uses the iPod as a firewire disk, go ahead and wipe it. If she does, backup the files first. You may want to format it first with Disk Utility first. I find that the upgrade runs a little smoother on an empty iPod.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    shagstlmshagstlm Posts: 112member
    Yeah I tried it with just the installer and it still didn't work. She doesn't use it as a FW HD so I was just going to wipe it and reformat it. Thanks for the advice.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    I'm having similar issues. Updated the desktop iTunes fine. But, when I put the iPod in the cradle, comes up with the window asking if I want to update my iPod. If I say yes, it says there's no iPod connected, even though it shows up on the desktop (but not in iTunes). However, if you tell it NOT to update, it works fine, with the iPod showing up in iTunes. Getting rather annoying having to deal with this every time I plug my iPod into the desktop. We have four users on a G5, with 3 different iPods, and it does this with all of them.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    shagstlmshagstlm Posts: 112member
    I am beginning to think that this issue may be a bigger issue than apple seemed to play it off as. That is about 20 people...between this post and other sites...that have had this problem. I really wish they would update the updater. So you just clicked no and it let the ipod sync? I will try that tomorrow. Thanks
  • Reply 5 of 5
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    Yup--I just click no on the update, and everything syncs up fine.