Crimes and misdemeanors

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    I hate SUV drivers who are on the phone.

But probably, if I'd ever do anything against 'em, unless any of them would physically damage my body running over me etc, would be having a bumper sticker saying something that the soccer mamas don't want to hear. Like "AT LEAST I DON'T SUCK A **** WHILE I DRIVE" ..
  • Reply 22 of 30
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Then there was a gang who robbed the Bank of China in Sydney. This was straight out of the movies. They've broken into the basement of the building next door and then drilled through a wall into the Bank of China's basement where all the safety deposit boxes were. Got away with millions. Cops reckoned they were in there the whole weekend.

Wow. This is pretty much the exact same story of Sherlock Holmes and "The Red-Headed League". I'll bet the crooks got their idea from that story when it was shown on television.

Just goes to show the dangers creative fiction writers can visit upon the world. That is one aspect of fiction writing that has always made me uncomfortable - since I plan to do that kind of writing in the future. Not sure how to get around the problem of writing a creative mystery/crime story, and then giving 'real' crooks clever new ideas.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

Men seem to feel free to express their anger, but women often feel obliged to repress theirs. It's culturally unseemly for women to express anger.["geez...what a thread Carol"]. I think that's one reason women suffer from depression more than men.

This is obviously changing right now (say hello to Lynnie England) *g*.

Maybe you'd be better off if you took some martial arts classes or bought yourself a whip or two for you bedroom?
  • Reply 24 of 30
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

Just goes to show the dangers creative fiction writers can visit upon the world. That is one aspect of fiction writing that has always made me uncomfortable - since I plan to do that kind of writing in the future. Not sure how to get around the problem of writing a creative mystery/crime story, and then giving 'real' crooks clever new ideas.

I don't think you need to feel responsible for the subsequent actions of others although I can't think of a good argument to support that standpoint right now.

But you reminded me of a case a few years back - I think it even happened in Florida - where a guy was found dead in a killer whales tank at an aquarium. Can't remember all the details but the scenario was straight out of a Carl Hiaasen novel.

Oh and if it's any consolation Carol, when the holier-than-thou brigade came out swinging at you, I just thought, what a total prat.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

This is obviously changing right now (say hello to Lynnie England) *g*.

Maybe you'd be better off if you took some martial arts classes or bought yourself a whip or two for you bedroom?

Yeah, but martial arts classes won't do much for the graffiti and vandalism problems.

I 'have' actually taken martial arts classes. LOVE them. Will probably sign up for some more in the next six months or so.

Whips for the bedroom? Nah. Manacles maybe. But then, no one would *want* to escape from 'my' bedroom. 8)

Back to serious stuff:

I also get angry about how illegal immigration is bankrupting the education system in some states - how the money from American citizens who actually pay the property taxes that fund education is being increasingly diverted from their own kids, in order to fund accommodations for illegals who don't speak English, and whose parents don't pay the property taxes that fund education.

How my school district, in trying to save money to pay the bill to educate these illegal children, is now removing retirement medical insurance from teachers who have taught 25 years in the school system. As of July 2005, these teachers will retire with NO medical insurance as part of their retirement benefits...because the school districts are going bankrupt in states with a massive influx of illegals, and have to find ways to save money.

I get angry when I think of these things. So I avoid thinking about them when I can. I try to concentrate on all the positives inherent in the situation, and there 'are' a few. \

As for actually dealing with anger, see my thread on 'transcendental meditation'.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Quote:

I don't think you need to feel responsible for the subsequent actions of others although I can't think of a good argument to support that standpoint right now.

I 'would' feel responsible though. I would torture myself over it forever, if anything I wrote ended up causing harm to anyone. It's a real dilemma.

Quote:

But you reminded me of a case a few years back - I think it even happened in Florida - where a guy was found dead in a killer whales tank at an aquarium. Can't remember all the details but the scenario was straight out of a Carl Hiaasen novel.

Wonder how Hiaasen felt when he heard about it?

Quote:

Oh and if it's any consolation Carol, when the holier-than-thou brigade came out swinging at you, I just thought, what a total prat.

Thanks, Chester. (I needed that. )

Australia must be an incredibly cool place. Every poster from there seems smart, sassy, and massively endowed in the sense of humor department. I liked you a LOT when I thought you were a guy (hahaha) - and I liked you even more when I found out you *weren't* a guy, but instead a feisty, outspoken ballerina (of all things ). We get the most amazing people here at AO, don't you think?
  • Reply 27 of 30
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

Thanks, Chester. (I needed that.

Oh hell. I just hate being picked on and hate seeing other people picked on. I even ended up siding with dmz in the dinosaur thread.

Quote:

Australia must be an incredibly cool place. Every poster from there seems smart, sassy, and massively endowed in the sense of humor department.

Shows what a nation of great bullshit artists we truly are!
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:

Shows what a nation of great bullshit artists we truly are!