Kim Komando

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This lady must have fallen out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down.

fyi: Kim Komando hosts a syndicated weekend talkshow about technology. (how she stays on air i dont know)

this would be funny if she didnt claim to be a know it all:

Caller: Kim, I just deleted quicktime because my friend said it was spyware, the uninstaller said that the computer may not play certin media without it, do i need it and are they spying on me?

Kim(host): It is not TECHNICALY spyware, but it does funkey things to your system, not only does it slow it down but it hijacks your media preferances from windows media player. unfortunately more and more people are doing QT content on the web

{end transcript}

questions:

1) I am much smarter and have a better radio voice than her so who do I call to get my show?

2)since she is on the radio, isnt that slander or defemation of charictor for Apple?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Your spelling and grammar has improved considerably since you first started posting here.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    I hate her...

My Mom loves her show... and that bothers me greatly!

I just don't listen to her... most of her advice is not great to fallow. IMO people should learn how to use computers from their own experience and reading documentation provided by the program's writers... not from dim-witted talkshow hosts that think Quicktime slows down your computer.

I heard her talk about Linux once, when a caller asked about it... oh, god, I wanted to ring her neck.

Kim... please end yourself.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Your spelling and grammar has improved considerably since you first started posting here.

(aquard moment) Thanks........I read somewhere that mac users tend to be wiser, smarter, better educated and, the obvious richer than their windows counterparts, maybe, you are rubbing off on me or something (/aquard moment)
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

(aquard moment) Thanks........I read somewhere that mac users tend to be wiser, smarter, better educated and, the obvious richer than their windows counterparts, maybe, you are rubbing off on me or something (/aquard moment)

that's awkward
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

......I heard her talk about Linux once, when a caller asked about it... oh, god, I wanted to ring her neck.....

kim on linux: Cute penguin!!!

kim on apple/mac:Apples taste good, but panthers scare me

Kim on windows: durrr.....ctrl+alt+delete...uhh...i think

kim on unix: that bsd dragon is mean.

Kim on PALM: Palm pilot, that was my hubbies nickname in college.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

that's awkward

(awkward moment) DAMN!!!(/awkward moment)
  • Reply 7 of 14
    on topic: I've never heard of this kim person, I've never heard her show, and I am probably not qualified to discuss it. However, in my experience, a disturbingly large amount of tech talk shows, or tech review columns, or so called 'tech experts' are fairly (any of the following) clueless/bias/uninformed/unqualified/hacks

I'd say that it probably has a lot to do with sponsors and such, if Microsoft is the reason why your show exists, you don't talk down their products ya know?

also, the general computing populace couldn't really care less about the 'truth' they are fairly dumb and gullible.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

also, the general computing populace couldn't really care less about the 'truth' they are fairly dumb and gullible.

That makes me want to convince the next Win98 user that System.ini is a virus and should they find it, delete without mercy.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

That makes me want to convince the next Win98 user that System.ini is a virus and should they find it, delete without mercy.

or even better, write a VB program to find DLL finds and delete them ancall it an 'Anti-Virus'
  • Reply 10 of 14
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I made a thread here a couple of years ago where I talk about Jeff Levy, who hosts the same type of show (computers/tech for complete nimrods and chuckleheads) out of KFI AM-640 in Los Angeles, and all his - and Komando's - show does is make me fall to my knees every once in a while and thank whoever is listening that I had the good sense, class and foresight to go with my current, and only, computing platform.

Jeez.

I actually listen to Ms. Komando every Saturday if I'm out and about in the car, but that's no ringing endoresement really. I mean, I listen to her show the same way I'd watch a malfunctioning crop duster fly into a Exxon tanker truck...you know you shouldn't and you want to do something to help, but all you can do is stand there in horror and say a silent prayer for the people involved.

Yeah, she's a bit of a goober. And I get the impression she digs herself a tad more than one should. She has this annoying clap/applause thing she plays, if she says something really "funny" or insightful. Once or twice a show would be enough, but I think her finger hovers on that button and you hear this after about every fifth sentence. Gets old REALLY quick.

You're not that funny, Kim. And you never say anything that earth-shaking or mind-blowing.

And just like Levy's show, just caller after caller having all this stupid crap going on with their system: can't print, lost their entire project, can't use their digital camera, want to know what piece-of-shit $29 digital video editing app is "best for my needs", etc. You get the impression that a) PCs REALLY must suck or b) people are just incredibly dumb. Probably a bit of both.

Meanwhile, I'm cruising along - FLAWLESSLY - with my "lowly" Apple iApps and favorite OS X shareware nuggets, doing anything AND everything I want to do on my Mac, with no help from anyone...and, most of all, not having to exhibit to the nation, via a call-in radio show, what a useless, all-thumbs dumbass I can be about anything with an electric plug on it.

I've actually sat in my car with my jaw dropped completely open, totally amazed - not in a good way - at the callers calling, her answers to them, her little asides, etc.

Ugh, no thanks. Mac please.

• Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I made a thread here a couple of years ago where I talk about Jeff Levy, who hosts the same type of show (computers/tech for complete nimrods and chuckleheads) out of KFI AM-640 in Los Angeles, and all his - and Komando's - show does is make me fall to my knees every once in a while and thank whoever is listening that I had the good sense, class and foresight to go with my current, and only, computing platform.

The leavy thing is gone i think because the honorable Leo Laporte is on there now, FINALY A.M. TECH WORTH THE TIME!!!!!!!!

the differance between leo and the others is he knows his shite, whilst I dont learn much as I am an ubergeek, he is great for novices, we dont agree on everything, but the only differances I have ever had with Leo's ansers, while very few, are on slight newonce, which would mean absolutely nothing to non-geeks.

Lets start a petition to get Leo nation wide and Komando OFF!

FYI: I listen to Leo on kfi from here in the state of indiana on the net. sat. 2-5 here or 12(noon)-3 there.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    slackulaslackula Posts: 262member
    And is it just me, or what....But every time I hear Kim Komando speak, I'd SWEAR that it is the same woman who was the Fabulous Sports Babe on ESPN radio in years gone by....
  • Reply 13 of 14
    My local newspaper publishes a spew from Kim in every Sunday paper. Always a fun read.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    regreg Posts: 832member
    WAMU http://www.wamu.org/computerguys/index.html Has the computer guys once a month. One is a PC guy and the other is a Mac guy. Both give MS a hard time. Their advice is okay but not as good as you could get by looking up a knowledge base topic or as quick. The Mac guy is a late adapter and waits a while before accepting anything new. He might still be running OS 9. I listen to Kim if I am in the car and it is on just to find faults in what she says. I listen to the computer guys because of the banter between them. It just comes down to being a computer junkie, I got to listen / read about them.

reg