lo people

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    mastermanmasterman Posts: 47member
    i'm stil pikin up the lynksys in my room. i tried movin the router a little more.

is there somethin I can do to boost the signal? Some other gizmo I can get? or do i just have to break down, get another internet cable somewhere closer to the room and get a new router to send the signal from there? I wouldnt' have to do that w/ the airport extreme...they have those boosters. Is there anything like that for pcs?

Also, is there a way i cood set up the airport extreme unit w/ my pc, or are the two not compatible?
  • Reply 22 of 28
    anybody?
  • Reply 23 of 28
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    The two are compatible. Please understand, the ways macs and PCs connect to networks (ethernet, WiFi) are universal standards, that work across many platforms (windows, linux, mac, etc). Yes, a PC can connect to an Airport base-station (if the PC has an 802.11g/b card) and a Mac can connect to a Belkin/Lynksys/etc basestation with its airport (b or g) card.

The answer to all your previous and future questions is "yes."

Wait until you have an iBook before moving anything around for better signals. The iBook has very good reception, and may not need anything to be moved. There are ways to boost the signal, but again, wait until you have an iBook as you will likely not need one. If you do, then post here and we'll tell you about booster antennae.

Are you on Cable or DSL or dial-up?
  • Reply 24 of 28
    is chinese the best kind of food?

jk...thanks for the help guys. Dk if I'll end up getting an airport extreme to hook up to my gateway and send wireless or what. I'll keep u posted tho, just for fyi.

Thanks,

-MM
  • Reply 25 of 28
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Get the cheapest 802.11G station you can find, like a linksys or belkin or US robotics. AE basestations are overpriced and flaky in terms of reliability. They are not bad, but neither are they great. All these basestations are essentially the same chipset. Any one will do.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...Search+Froogle

Also keep in mind that regular WiFi, 802.11b has speeds far faster than your internet connection, so even a cheapo, second hand 802.11b router will do the trick. I have a USRobotics one, and it works great.

Are you on Cable, DSL, or dialup?
  • Reply 26 of 28
    cable: AOL for broadband

Currently I have an 802.11g belkin router and a hp pavilion zt3000 notebook with integrated 802.11b chip. The two work together well (except for my lack of reception in my room)

The only thing that would make me wanna get a AE is the station u can set up to boost the signal...that way I have a sure fire way of pickin up the signal in my room. Does it cost much more to get another cable connection? I could just get one in my room...in case I ever get an imac or somethin.

-MM
  • Reply 27 of 28
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Masterman

... is there anyway I can block the lynksys's signal completely?-MM

why don't you just use it completely? They never will cover it, until you tell them.

Have the same workflow here I know it is not that political correct
  • Reply 28 of 28
    the funny thing is..i just can't use that either. The signal may not be strong enuff, or fades in and out...but I can't get into that either. Stinks.

-MM