Unreal Tounament 2004 update

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
EDIT: Didn't want to make a new thread for each update so take a moment to scroll down.

seems there is a new update for UT2K4. I know some of you here love it and some love to hate it. Anyways, just a reminder and to let you know.

From Macupdate.com.

Quote:

Editor Notes:

The UT2004 Retail version patch 3186.1 is available as the "Download Now" link. The demo is still available for download in the Related Links section of this page.

Description:

Unreal Tournament 2004 demo is a 3D, first person action game. This demo includes 5 maps (AS-Convoy, ONS-Torlan, DM-Rankin, CTF-BridgeOfFate, BR-Colossus), 6 game modes (Assault, Onslaught, Deathmatch, Capture The Flag, Team Deathmatch, Bombing Run).

UT2004 takes gladiator combat to a new level with the addition of land and air vehicles, an arsenal of new weaponry (including mines, rocket-propelled grenades and stationary gun turrets), daunting new arenas, epic battlefields and the challenge of the Assault and Onslaught game types.

What's New:

Version 3186.1 fixes the following:

Game no longer crashes at startup if you have an iSight or USB microphone plugged in.

Fixed a serious crashbug buffer overflow in the VoIP code.

Servers should no longer kick you for cheating (unless, of course, you're really cheating).

Fixed the crappy colors on the splash screen (hey, it was bothering me!).

Other less notable fixes.

Requirements:

PowerPC G4+, Mac OS X 10.2.8 or later, 256MB RAM, 32MB video card, (Updater requires the retail release).

This line cracks me up: "Fixed the crappy colors on the splash screen (hey, it was bothering me!)."

So, yea. Downloading... Update post to come.8)

EDIT: Forgot to update. Frame rates seemed to stay the same. I can see the spider in the nVidia animation and I don't think I could before. Seems to react a tad bit faster. Didn't notice anything totally out there.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Looks like there's still no demo patch...I really want to see full-version performance (2x on single processor machines) before I buy the full version.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Looks like there's still no demo patch...I really want to see full-version performance (2x on single processor machines) before I buy the full version.

Somebody said that the bug was in the audio processing and so you could run the demo on a single processor machine with the audio off to get a rough approximation.

Nick
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Somebody said that the bug was in the audio processing and so you could run the demo on a single processor machine with the audio off to get a rough approximation.

Nick

That's what I've been doing, but I want hard proof anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    My Dual G5 played both the full game and demo fine before and after the updated. However, before I applied the update, the game would occasionally freeze and now this doesn't happen. Yeah.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    OK, weekly updates for Unreal?

HERE is another! Smaller than the others though.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

That's what I've been doing, but I want hard proof anyway.

I bit the bullet and bought it (at Apple SoHo, no less!), and I'm blown away. I get 30-40 FPS in Onslaught, with sound, and my FPS dances between double- and triple- digit numbers in most DM maps. I'm pleased with my purchase.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

I bit the bullet and bought it (at Apple SoHo, no less!), and I'm blown away. I get 30-40 FPS in Onslaught, with sound, and my FPS dances between double- and triple- digit numbers in most DM maps. I'm pleased with my purchase.

Anyone got PowerBook performance? 1.25GHZ 64VRAM. I'm a hoping... \
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

Anyone got PowerBook performance? 1.25GHZ 64VRAM. I'm a hoping... \

You should be okay in DM and CTF,but ONS and AS might be a bit choppy.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

You should be okay in DM and CTF,but ONS and AS might be a bit choppy.

I've got the demo - Onslaught is certainly playable. I put most settings to Medium, close all other Apps (and turn up the volume to mask the blast of the fans) and I can live with the mild choppiness.

Will the Full Game play better or worse than the demo?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

Will the Full Game play better or worse than the demo?

Well, if you have a Dual Processor machine, then the answer is 'maybe a teeny bit'. If you have a single processor Mac, your performance will double, or, if you've been playing with the audio off, be the same FPS with the audio ON.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

If you have a single processor Mac, your performance will double...

Double performance? That's pretty awesome. And that's really true - not just hype?

I think I'll get the game then
  • Reply 12 of 13
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    LATEST INFO:

There is yet another update. Many, many things changed.

HOWEVER THERE IS A CATCH!

Found this in the readme AFTER I installed.

Quote:

Make MacOS version prevent user from ejecting the game DVD while game is running. (Tell your friends to get their own copy for your next LAN party. Sorry.)

But PC users can play now play without the DVD.

Uncool Guys.

Download links

More Info
  • Reply 13 of 13
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Toast makes DVD copies of UT2004 just fine... backup copies of course.