2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TrevorD

Like a laptop:

- Includes trackpad on keyboard

Meanwhile, when the computer is plugged in, it's just the same as a desktop... which is a much nicer experience than working on a laptop.

You are kidding, right? Why would someone use a trackpad over a mouse when sitting for hours at a stretch. The trackpad sucks big time compared to a mouse.

As for the "nicer experience" a simple Bookendz takes care of all that. Why waste time when you can use a laptop for the same functionality.

I understand the concept of the high-powered laptop, but really, the PowerBook more closely resembles what I would want in a desktop replacement. And, guess what? I use a 12" PowerBook at work, Bookendz to external 18" LCD and external keyboard and (dual-button, scroll) mouse. No muss, no fuss, just pop it in and go. Sure, it ain't a Dual G5 PowerMac, but at work I really don't need that speed. It gets more of a workout in Photoshop/Studio MX/iMovie/iDVD at home.

I just don't see Apple going the IIc route ever again, nor would I want to.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

You are kidding, right? Why would someone use a trackpad over a mouse when sitting for hours at a stretch. The trackpad sucks big time compared to a mouse.

As for the "nicer experience" a simple Bookendz takes care of all that. Why waste time when you can use a laptop for the same functionality.

I understand the concept of the high-powered laptop, but really, the PowerBook more closely resembles what I would want in a desktop replacement. And, guess what? I use a 12" PowerBook at work, Bookendz to external 18" LCD and external keyboard and (dual-button, scroll) mouse. No muss, no fuss, just pop it in and go. Sure, it ain't a Dual G5 PowerMac, but at work I really don't need that speed. It gets more of a workout in Photoshop/Studio MX/iMovie/iDVD at home.

I just don't see Apple going the IIc route ever again, nor would I want to.

I used to be just like you. Until I got an AlBook and that great application Sidetrack. I now use the edges of my trackpad for scrolling and the corners for copy, paste, and Expose. A trackpad with proper software support and a sensitive tracking finger can be exponentially more productive than a relatively primitive mouse. It just takes some pratice. You're conditioned to like the mouse...that's all. Actually, I'd like a tablet-sized trackpad for my desktop. Screw the stylus, my pointing finger is much more accurate.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormatC2

Something like the FragBox?

Please do not leech images off my site. You are consuming my bandwidth.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    This whole idea is incredibly stupid.

The market for people who are willing to lug around 10+ pound portable Macs with no battery for an extra 20- 25% performance boost is vanishingly small.

Honestly, if Apple tried to sell this, it would make the Cube look like a home run.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    willywalloowillywalloo Posts: 408member
    First of all, when I read AC powered portable device, that threw up a flag.

If there was only an AC input, then let's think of the many places you would mostly be able to plug in this thing: inside.

Or you could get long extension cords.

Second of all, no battery: in something portable? Why make it portable then? So, if it's going to be portable, and on the move, then you can't use it.

Did I miss anything?

-walloo.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    I don't know about you guys but I have 17" PB (1.33Ghz) and I use it for top end programming, PhotoShop etc (and for personal use, iDVD, FCP etc).

I am programmer who works for a software development company in Melbourne as well as from home in the 'burbs. We call some of the largest businesses in this country our clients. I am a professional power user and, with the exception of video gurus and 3D renderers, there wouldn't be many people that need more power for day-to-day work use than I do.

I have a server in my cupboard at home for storing project backups (CVS etc) and other data (music collection etc). I don't have a desktop machine. I traded in my old G4 tower as soon as the 17" PB was available here (about 5 months after the US got them). I do a lot of my work from home or at other developers houses as well as driving my car to the office when needed and I can tell you that there is NOTHING more liberating than putting my laptop in its case and walking out the door with it.

At home I have a 15" Apple LCD display, iSight and iPod dock, speakers, scrolling mouse (still wish Apple would make a 2 button, scrolling mouse) and an Apple keyboard. At the office I have the same and when I travel or go to a co-workers place I have a set of headphones, spare iPod lead and Apple bluetooth mouse in my case. You see, having a transportable desktop replacement is less about the machine itself, it is more about the ease of set up at any said destination. Don't like the trackpad? Get a mouse! Sick of grabbing the power adapter out of the wall at work to take it home? Get a second one! Apple (and third parties) offers you the tools for this, you just have to put it together.

Think about why you want this transportable machine and what functions it must perform to be practical.

When you think about it, the 17" PB is pretty good in every catagory. Sure, the HD is slower than a desktop allows but this is a function issue as well as form (the full speed HD's are more suseptible to sector damage through movement than the laptop ones) and it doesn't have a 2Ghz G5 in it, but neither does the iMac which is a desktop. Some say the PB is expensive but do you think that a transportable G5 would be cheap?

The biggest problem I've seen with using laptops all day (and I'm an expert at using laptops all day) is the ergonomics of the screen. Again, tools are available to lift your PB from the desk so you don't have to strain.

The 17" PB IS a transportable machine... You just don't accept it.