alrighty, i'm ready!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, so i've been planning on getting a 12" PB for a few months now, and with the rev. C release, now is the time. But just to make sure, i went the apple store near charlotte and played with some of the machines. 23" display is nice, iSight is nifty, so i decided to get that with my new PB, but i did notice a few things about the powerbook. one, that the battery isn't flush with the bottom of the case (as expected), the keyboard is nice, the PB has a "classy bling bling" look to it, and 256 megs RAM is definitely not enough. so, here's what i plan on getting:

1.33 12" with superdrive, extra 512 megs ram from crucial, 80 gb 5400 rpm HD, iSight, YE-Data USB floppy drive, and Office 2004 student edition.

ok, any comments on my plan, except about the floppy drive? maybe a different place to get ram, or anything like that?

ahhh yes, funny story:

as i was about to leave, a family entered the store

wife: "oooh, the ibook. honey, does it have microsoft Word?"

husband: "no dear, apple's are totally different machines."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Sounds about perfect to me, happy buying/playing
  • Reply 2 of 12
    thedustinthedustin Posts: 176member
    What's a floppy drive?

_thedustin
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I hope you slapped the guy
  • Reply 4 of 12
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Skip the floppy drive and get a USB flash drive if you need portable removable storage. They're way better... ten times faster, a hundred times the capacity, and much more reliable as well. Plus, they have better cross-platform compatibility than floppies - no formatting issues.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    I think the floppies sux argument has already been made in another thread.

Obviously we failed in convincing the Performa that they are a completely redundant piece of machinery.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    DELETED!
  • Reply 7 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca

Skip the floppy drive and get a USB flash drive if you need portable removable storage. They're way better... ten times faster, a hundred times the capacity, and much more reliable as well. Plus, they have better cross-platform compatibility than floppies - no formatting issues.

How do you use that on a Windows NT4 machine?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

How do you use that on a Windows NT4 machine?

With great care and windows 2000 drivers
  • Reply 9 of 12
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Performa636CD ahhh yes, funny story:

as i was about to leave, a family entered the store

wife: "oooh, the ibook. honey, does it have microsoft Word?"

husband: "no dear, apple's are totally different machines."

Okay, SEE?!?! All you people who think I ding Apple too harshly on their piss-poor marketing can go jump in a creek.

There is NO EXCUSE, this many years into things, that your average chucklehead still believes that crap.

That's on Apple, folks. If they were better about conveying the kind of stuff people REALLY need to know in their commercials and print ads, then there wouldn't be people walking around saying stuff like that.

No excuse. Apple, you really suck in this department. Do you really think on-the-fence types are going to be swayed by a bunch of dumpy looking people telling their jitter-voiced lame stories? No, it didn't work worth a shit.

For once, humor me and make a commercial that DIRECTLY addresses some of these "myths", because, apparently, THAT'S the big stumbling block to the average PC user or newbie adopting the Mac. They want to make sure the stuff they actually use, day-to-day, is available and can run on Macs. And burying this kind of stuff on your website, HOPING someone stumbles across it, might not be the best plan of attack.

You TALK about switchers. You don't really do much sensible, real-world stuff to make it happen, do you? And guess what, those dancing silhouettes have probably just about shot their wad too, so let's not hang all our hopes and dreams on them for the next 12 months either, okay? Thanks.

Jeez.

It's a good 7-8 years since Jobs' return. OS X is four years old. Office v.X has been out for what, three years now? There is no reason ANYONE with half a brain should, in this day and age, saying or believing what that guy did. No excuse. Simply no excuse, that guy saying that. Get a clue, Apple.

Your marketing/advertising/PR is as sucky and lacking as your OS, software and hardware is cool and amazing. How can there be such this shocking disparity? Your stuff deserves better.

• Reply 10 of 12
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I agree. People here on AI have had much better ideas than Apple's PR department has in the past 8 years. And they don't even get paid.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

I think the floppies sux argument has already been made in another thread.

Obviously we failed in convincing the Performa that they are a completely redundant piece of machinery.

glad someone rememebered. i think i will be getting a usb flash drive as well, but i can't order a VERBATIM flash drive from apple's website, now can i?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    just placed the order today!

yay!